Starting from scratch

when I first went to visit my girl,now wife,she knew very little english,her and I both had electronic handheld translators.And that was good enough,she also had a friend who could speak english,but she had a strong chinese accent,half the time I didn't know what she was saying.My wife's daughter also spoke very,very good english.....but most of the time to be honest...it really didn't matter much.....as she would tell you,we spoke in the universal language of love.!!! and also....sign language.....what ever it took to communicate.Now we use yahoo messenger, with webcam.she is going to english school,but works so much it is hard for her to study.so,the language barrier is always a challenge,but I think it's well worth it.

I am having to beat on her(almost) over her use of pronouns. I guess Chinese does not use them. Is there anything else that you have had trouble with. It seems like most people understand her but her e-mails look terrable. She spells very well.

I am glad I dropped all the women who knew no English. Not just Chinese.

ski

Skibum, chinese pronouns are very simplistic. For example there is no differentiation between him and her and it. So for Chinese people, who are still thinking in chinese, it's a real struggle.

I know from the way my wife speaks around chinese people, she loves flirting and general wordplay. I am certain that she misses that in trying out her spoken english. When you're having fun together, it's more physical in nature.

I have also heard that many of the wives here also use the mop

translation method. :unsure:

Is this unfair? :(

Texican Lee

No Sir thats not unfair..... not for me any who

Thanks to my UT helmet I have protecton.....

whats in your wallet?

When my lovely wife "Emma" uses this thingin I'm sure I had

it comin..... as I recall its called "the power of love"

She loves to use it when I step out of line "which ain't very often"

oh, its so nice to be innocent and NEVER do anything wrong.....

when I first went to visit my girl,now wife,she knew very little english,her and I both had electronic handheld translators.And that was good enough,she also had a friend who could speak english,but she had a strong chinese accent,half the time I didn't know what she was saying.My wife's daughter also spoke very,very good english.....but most of the time to be honest...it really didn't matter much.....as she would tell you,we spoke in the universal language of love.!!! and also....sign language.....what ever it took to communicate.Now we use yahoo messenger, with webcam.she is going to english school,but works so much it is hard for her to study.so,the language barrier is always a challenge,but I think it's well worth it.

heyjimi you might want to try MSN or SKYPE, both are free and a little easier and more fun to use!! :lol: