Social Security office experience

We went to the SSA office yesterday to apply for a card. I was hoping to use Christine's married name as others here said they have been able to do, but no go. The clerk said that since her Chinese name was the one INS had in the system and it was on the marriage certificate that way, that's the one we had to use.

She said we would have to get her name legally changed first. I pointed out that we weren't offered that option on the marriage license and that I knew of others who have just been able to request the married name be put on the card. She said "Well they're not supposed to." So I gave her all the names of the members here who say they have done this so the gov't could verify it was true. I hope that was ok. :D Just kidding.

Anyway she kept saying that we'd have to file an I-766 or 688B to be able to do it. I"m not sure who was more confused about that, me or her. I've tried looking up these docs and so far all I've found is that they have something to do with EAD extensions or something. I haven't been able to find the actual forms nor have I figured out what they have to do with changing her name.

Bottom line is she wouldn't let us use her married name without some proof that it had legally been changed. So what does this mean as far as added hassles for us besides having to change the name on the card later? And does it mean we'll have to go through that with everything she gets using this card like state ID,credit cards,bank accounts,driver's license etc?

That's the pain-in-the-ass stuff I was trying to avoid in the first place. :angry: I know everyone says to make sure we request the married name at the AOS interview but should we try and get it legally changed now to avoid these other hassles or just wait?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe she's correct! When they check the name against the immigration database, it must match. I think others have come back AFTER getting the green card or EAD in the married name.

This usually means two trips to the SS office.

Thanks Randy.

So when we file for AOS/EAD/AP, should we/can we, file using her married name even though it hasn't been legally changed? Will they reject the forms on the same grounds the clerk wouldn't allow the SSN?

Also, all the AOS/EAD/AP docs ask for a SSN if any. Should we wait until we get the SS number in the mail before filing all these or does it matter?

I thought I had this all figured out after researching and reading dozens of old threads here. But not allowing the married name on the SS card has really thrown me for a loop.

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)

We got my wife's SSN card in her Chinese name. Rong Hu. (Hu is family name)

I've put her on my bank account as her maiden name. She was tickled pink to receive her own American debit card but that's off topic.

I've looked at the I-485, I-765 and the I-131 forms. It looks to me that their asking for her Chinese name(in Pinyin) that she had whe she arrived. The I-765 form has a line for "enter maiden name" that the other 2 don't. I don't want to have my AOS paperwork bounced back because I put down "Burgess" as Family name on the 3 forms and her A#, her I-94 and her SSN card all say "HU".

I've put her on my bank account as her maiden name. She was tickled pink to receive her own American debit card but that's off topic.

I've looked at the I-485, I-765 and the I-131 forms. It looks to me that their asking for her Chinese name(in Pinyin) that she had whe she arrived. The I-765 form has a line for "enter maiden name" that the other 2 don't. I don't want to have my AOS paperwork bounced back because I put down "Burgess" as Family name on the 3 forms and her A#, her I-94 and her SSN card all say "HU".

I agree with David - it's best not to rock the boat. Any complications can cause complications.

But a "legal" name change varies by state. It can be as simple as simply using the new name on her ID's and documents. Yes - if you can get the green card in her new name, you have successfully changed her name.

I think I remember some people who first got the SS card in her Chinese name, then got married, and then go back to the SS office to get a card in the new name. That might have been a little easier.

Nu uh---When I filed for AOS for wifey I Put her married name on all the paperwork. Her GC came back in her married name and off to SSA to get her card in her married name!!!

no problemo at all!!

I believe she's correct! When they check the name against the immigration database, it must match. I think others have come back AFTER getting the green card or EAD in the married name.

This usually means two trips to the SS office.

Thanks Randy.

So when we file for AOS/EAD/AP, should we/can we, file using her married name even though it hasn't been legally changed? Will they reject the forms on the same grounds the clerk wouldn't allow the SSN?

Also, all the AOS/EAD/AP docs ask for a SSN if any. Should we wait until we get the SS number in the mail before filing all these or does it matter?

I thought I had this all figured out after researching and reading dozens of old threads here. But not allowing the married name on the SS card has really thrown me for a loop.

Thanks for the write up Dave as always. I will be in your boat soon enough!! Good Luck and let me know how it goes, Mark

Just please hurry and get this figured out in Illinois would ya???

B) :angry: :D

The marriage licence itself is proof that she can change her last name. American women do it all the time. We had no problem using my wife's married name for SSN. It is all just the clerk you get. Jim in Portland went to the same office we did after being told at another his wife coudn't have a SSN. They gave her the SSN but wouldn't let her change her name. As Trigg said, just fill out all the AOS papers in her married name.

You can always go with maiden name on the SSA card, adjust status using married name, and when you do get the green-card, return to SSA and get name changed on the SSA Card.

You should go to SSA after getting green-card anyway to report immigrations status change, and get the "With DHS auth" Notation removed.

Thanks to all.

I have the same reservations as David and Randy but it sounds like using the married name for AOS etc seems to work wherever you live as opposed to using married name to apply for SS card, which seems to work only if you can find the right clerk in the right state. :)

So it seems I should just fill out AOS/EAD/AP docs using married name, wait for the green card and then change the name.

I wonder if anyone has experience with doing this and then had problems with the name difference?

And what about waiting for SSN before filling out those forms? Should we bother waiting?

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)

Getting the SSN in her married name helps her establish her identity. For us it was the first stop before filing AOS. After getting the SSN we went to the DMV and got her a State ID card in her married name. Next we went to the bank and I put her on all of my accounts. The joint bank accounts are good proof of relationship for AOS. I would definitely try to get the SSN in her married name if that is the name she plans on using. If they won't do it at the office you went to, try another. Take a certified copy of your marriage license and her passport with I-94 and visa inside.

I just went to the SSA website and could find nothing saying a K-visa holder can't change their name just like anyone else who marries. It does say that a marriage licence is enough for a name change or new card. I-94 is required for K visas as well.

http://www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs/10120.html

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

Thanks Carl but it's probably too late since we went ahead and applied when we were there yesterday. Christine was anxious to get the ball rolling and didn't even want me to argue too much with the lady as it was. I wanted to try another office but she wanted to just do it there. I haven't been married long, but long enough to know when to argue and when not to. <_<

I wish we had more lenient SSA clerks here in Il like you had. Ours insisted that the name on the card had to match the name that INS has in the system. I don't see how the gov't can insist on this for one document and then let you put whatever name you want on the rest. But then I don't see why the gov't does a lot of things the way they do. :(

Getting the SSN in her married name helps her establish her identity. For us it was the first stop before filing AOS. After getting the SSN we went to the DMV and got her a State ID card in her married name. Next we went to the bank and I put her on all of my accounts. The joint bank accounts are good proof of relationship for AOS. I would definitely try to get the SSN in her married name if that is the name she plans on using. If they won't do it at the office you went to, try another. Take a certified copy of your marriage license and her passport with I-94 and visa inside.

I just went to the SSA website and could find nothing saying a K-visa holder can't change their name just like anyone else who marries. It does say that a marriage licence is enough for a name change or new card. I-94 is required for K visas as well.

Perhaps once you get the card you can take it back down to them with a certified copy of the marriage licence and ask them to change it to her married name same as any American woman would do. All they can do is say no. They can't eat you.

Thanks Carl but it's probably too late since we went ahead and applied when we were there yesterday. Christine was anxious to get the ball rolling and didn't even want me to argue too much with the lady as it was. I wanted to try another office but she wanted to just do it there. I haven't been married long, but long enough to know when to argue and when not to. <_<

I wish we had more lenient SSA clerks here in Il like you had. Ours insisted that the name on the card had to match the name that INS has in the system. I don't see how the gov't can insist on this for one document and then let you put whatever name you want on the rest. But then I don't see why the gov't does a lot of things the way they do. :(

Perhaps once you get the card you can take it back down to them with a certified copy of the marriage licence and ask them to change it to her married name same as any American woman would do. All they can do is say no. They can't eat you.

I don't know. She looked pretty hungry. :lol:

I'll try that.