Married in China, need to bring bride to US

Hi all,

First, great site!! Thanks in advance for any replies.

I've been in China since last year 2006, Feb with a 3 month visit back to the US this year. I'm leaving Shanghai this week and need to start the preparation to bring my wife, who I married a little over a month ago, to the US.

Background: We met on the internet in 2005 and have saved all our MSN Chat history. I came to Shanghai last year and have spent nearly everyday together or have spoken on the phone and this year we married. I have a good foundation of Chinese (intermediate speaker) and my wife speaks English. My wife also has a son.

So, from my understanding, when I get to the US I should file a I-130 and let it go through to a CR-1. From here I'm confused. I've viewed timelines but still don't know the best way to go to get her here in the US asap and with a strong status (green card?).

Also, we want her son to come later so we can have time to get set up before he arrives. What's the best way to go here?

Also, while in China I did not work but have very good tax return information prior to going to China. Would that be acceptable?

Looking for any help or guidance.

Thanks again,

HR

Guest ShaQuaNew

Start by spending time in the FAQ and read. When you have a specific question, be sure to ask. There is much to learn, so take the time to digest it. Better that you read first though.

DavidZ has done an excellent job laying this out. Click the links across the top. Read the menus and submenus.

http://www.candleforlove.com/FAQ/Timelines/Ne...Index_New2.html

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

Start by spending time in the FAQ and read. When you have a specific question, be sure to ask. There is much to learn, so take the time to digest it. Better that you read first though.

DavidZ has done an excellent job laying this out. Click the links across the top. Read the menus and submenus.

http://www.candleforlove.com/FAQ/Timelines/Ne...Index_New2.html

Ok, Thanks ShaQuaNew!!

Also, read up on DCF (Direct Consular Filing), in case it applies to your situation. It will shave months off the wait for the visa.

Yeah, if you CAN DCF, do that, before you return to the US. It only took us 8.5 months...

I am not sure what all has changed in 2.5 years, but you have to have a residence permit (just tourist visa's aren't enough). Others can tell you what else you need to DCF.

Yeah, I need the residence permit. Right now I only have an F visa. I need to be working here to get the residence permit. I guess if everything fall through this time from the states side I can go back, get a job teaching English (which would give me the residence permit) and file again DCF style :(

Actually, You may be fine with the F visa depending how long you stay in China. I called the USCIS office here in Beijing and they told me that I can apply and I have an L-visa and a temporary residence permit (which you get from your local police station with your visa and a copy of the lease). She said the only requirement is that you have been in China for over 6 months.

Yeah, if you CAN DCF, do that, before you return to the US. It only took us 8.5 months...

I am not sure what all has changed in 2.5 years, but you have to have a residence permit (just tourist visa's aren't enough). Others can tell you what else you need to DCF.

Yeah, I need the residence permit. Right now I only have an F visa. I need to be working here to get the residence permit. I guess if everything fall through this time from the states side I can go back, get a job teaching English (which would give me the residence permit) and file again DCF style :rolleyes:

We did not have a resident permit when we filed in Beijing in August this year, but I had a "Z" (work) visa and a job awaiting me. That was enough.

We filed the I-130 there, and received our DS-230 and a smaller questionnaire about 8 weeks later. We are expecting our interview sometime early in 2008.

"DCF" can be a good way to go if you have the resources for the Affidavit of Support (an adequate US income, a US residency, someone who can co-sign the Affidavit, etc.).

Edited by shyaushu (see edit history)