Lust Caution

:redblob: :clapping: We went with friends to see Lust, Caution this past weekend. Our review: Incredible! Every aspect of this movie was truly remarkable, right down to the mixing of sound. My favorite part was watching Lan watch the movie. Her eyes were peeled and 100% attentive from the start of the movie until the end.

Bravo to Ang Lee as we westerners call him. Truly deserving of every award imaginable. :clapping: :clapping:

:greenblob: :clapping:

Great to hear your response, Jesse. :)

This is the first Ang Lee movie, the only one, I watched. I am not a movie-goer. I am now his fan. I also liked the performance of Tang Wei and Tony Leung. Joan Chen was good, too, except her role in the movie is less weighted.

Ang Lee has put much element in this movie. Will take a while to digest, I think.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShaQuaNew

:redblob: :clapping: We went with friends to see Lust, Caution this past weekend. Our review: Incredible! Every aspect of this movie was truly remarkable, right down to the mixing of sound. My favorite part was watching Lan watch the movie. Her eyes were peeled and 100% attentive from the start of the movie until the end.

Bravo to Ang Lee as we westerners call him. Truly deserving of every award imaginable. :clapping: :clapping:

:greenblob: :clapping:

Great to hear your response, Jesse. :)

This is the first Ang Lee movie, the only one, I watched. I am not a movie-goer. I am now his fan. I also liked the performance of Tang Wei and Tony Leung. Joan Chen was good, too, except her role in the movie is less weighted.

Ang Lee has put much element in this movie. Will take a while to digest, I think.

Indeed. There was so much there. It wasn't overwhelming; just like everyday life, at least in the WWII era in China. So believable. It was hard to find the movie though as it appears to be playing only in the artsy film studios. We fortunately caught it the last night it was playing at the Enzian, here in Orlando. I didn't much care for Ang Lee's previous movies, like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon, probably the fantasy stuff turned me off. This however was just plain awesome.

Dang, I wonder if'n it will make it to the exclusive Buffalo Mills "No tell Drive-in Theater" here in south central Pennsyltucky? I'm gettin' downright sick n' tired of watchin' that 1950's black n' white "Godzilla" eat Japan every weekend. I've complained to the drive-in owner, Jimmy Ray Ickes, various times about at least gettin' a color version of the big lizard that ate Japan, but all he tells me is, "it's just a dang drive-in theater, ain't nobody comes here to watch the stupid movie anyhow." Heck, half the screen well off 5 weeks ago and Billy Ray won't even fix that.

Man, we need some culture, even if'n it was that thar haute culture...or is that couture, in these here mountains. If'n GUZ ever let's my lil' lady come over here....well...I guess we won't be watchin' the stupid movie either, now will we?

tsap seui

Now, if'n it's culture you want, c'mon down cheer to Tennerbama. We got two drive ins and both are showin' Smoky and the Bandit. Been runnin' continuously now since '78!

Smokey and the Bandit???? Hot damn, golly Bawb howdy!!! Now that thar's culture. Tennerbama, buddy, yore tawkin' my kinda tawk, Mick.

Shucks, when the GUZ mod squad finally let's the lil' rabbit come over here to live with me I mite jest brang her down yonder to see Smokey n' that dang bandit. A good ol' drive n' theater...now bubba there is some REAL Amurican culture in it's owndamnself, and the parkin' lot is usually full of Lust Caution...or girls gone wild. :D

tsap seui

It is playing in 1 movie theater in Houston

Landmark Riveroaks 3 (20.3 mi)

2009 West Gray

Houston, TX 77019

So not a mainstream movie, I guess?

Considering the movie isn't in English and it switches Chinese dialects from Shanghai to Mandarin to Cantonese(during the HK shots) throughout the movie you would guess correctly my friend.

It is playing in 1 movie theater in Houston

Landmark Riveroaks 3 (20.3 mi)

2009 West Gray

Houston, TX 77019

So not a mainstream movie, I guess?

Considering the movie isn't in English and it switches Chinese dialects from Shanghai to Mandarin to Cantonese(during the HK shots) throughout the movie you would guess correctly my friend.

If it keeps on switching who the hell can understand the thing?

Few Shanghainess understand Cantoness and No cantoness understands Shanghainess and Most Mandarine speakers can understand either Shanghainese or Cantonese and a lot of Cantonese can't understand Mandarine, most none Chinese can't understand a word of it not matter what and most Chinese that have problems understanding it can read them English subtitles.

So who can understand it???

Well, it is not playing in China yet and unlike most other movies, not being sold at street corners either. I guess it must be the language problem that scared the counterfeit dealers. They start selling most other movies before it hits the theatres.

It's playing in Houston again this week, through Thursday, at the River Oaks theater.

The verdict from Jiaying is, "Good, but not great". The feeling between the two leads just really wasn't there. It does hold your interest all the way through, and they make it easy to read the subtitles and watch the movie at the same time. My wife understood the Mandarin and the Cantonese.

I kept expecting a twist in the plot somewhere, but it never happened. It just ended - tragically. You new all along which side everyone was on. It wasn't overly predictable, but no surprises either.

Tomorrow is the last day here in Houston - better hurry. I'll wait for cable or the DVD.

We saw it this afternoon (matin¨¦e, save money!).

It was a great movie in my opinion. The character development was outstanding. However misguided, it was easy to understand how the central figure evolved her feelings for the monster which eventually led to the ending (trying to be obscure so as not to spoil it).

Lao Po told me that she essentially understood all the Chinese. I agree with a previous poster that in the beginning the dialog was pretty fast and it was difficult to keep up with the sub titles but after the first 30 minutes the pace was much better.

Evidently the most offensive part for the audience we watched with was the stabbing scene as a number of people left the theater during that sequence. The sex scenes were perhaps a bit long and certainly graphic but very necessary to understand the character evolution.

Another masterful work by Ang Lee.

Evidently the most offensive part for the audience e watched with was the stabbing scene as a number of people left the theater during that sequence. The sex scenes were perhaps a bit long and certainly graphic but very necessary to understand the character evolution.

I totally agree. <_< My eyes were close and ears were plug through this scene because I knew when it would come. B)

The sex scenes were perhaps a bit long and certainly graphic but very necessary to understand the character evolution.

My wife says that in China the sex scenes were removed.

My wife says that in China the sex scenes were removed.

My wife said the same thing.

Her friends at work all asked her to get her husband to bring the american version dvd on my next visit.

Truth is there will be cheaper copies of the american version available before I can get there I bet.