Lust Caution

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yahoo and Google have their feature to ( Map It ) but after Google sent us to 2009 Gray St instead of 2009 West Gray St even after trying "W Gray St" and "West Gray St." I knew to add more time to my driving ETA. When I go to someplace I have never been, I double the time Google Maps says it takes to arrive. We left a hour before the movie started. Google Maps sent me down to 59 and up to Gray St. I give many thanks to a very nice police officer who told us much better directions. So if you live on the west side of Houston or Katy let me save you the trouble and give you a better route.

Take I-10 East to Shepherd. Turn right at the feeder light for Shepherd. Stay on that street and it will take you to West Gray. Turn left and the theater is about a block down. Also parking is a big issue since there is none for the movie theather. After driving around the block twice we were told the theather's parking is behind the Talbots store across the street and totally not visible from the theater. The end result is we arrived at the theater exactly at the time the movie began.

I really enjoyed the movie and so did Rong. Now that out of the way let me dive into the language part of the movie.

The movie is mostly in Chinese but not in the same dialect. While I've lived and studied Mandarin for 2 years now, I found I had to read the subtitles for the most of the fast paced dialogue. The reason is when the dialogue switches to Shanghainese for the Shanghai locations. Besides Tai Tai and a few other words I'm grasping to comprehend the words and loose the intended meaning. I'm glad the English subtitles are well translated so that I can at least keep up with the literal meaning of the dialogue. I won't say all the women's coversations in the movie has layered meanings. I will say that the dialogue of this movie was very skillfully crafted to have more than one layer of meaning. During the Hong Kong scenes some conversations were in Guangdonghua. Americans know it better as Cantonese. My fiancee Rong was happy that after my two years with her and my continual study of Mandarin and Chinese culture that I'm picking up 'some' of the subtle nuances and mostly playful banter between the wives while they played Â齫 or as silly Americans call it mahjong.

Guest ShaQuaNew

:redblob: :clapping: We went with friends to see Lust, Caution this past weekend. Our review: Incredible! Every aspect of this movie was truly remarkable, right down to the mixing of sound. My favorite part was watching Lan watch the movie. Her eyes were peeled and 100% attentive from the start of the movie until the end.

Bravo to Ang Lee as we westerners call him. Truly deserving of every award imaginable. :clapping: :clapping:

:greenblob: :clapping: