USA Today

Take a look at page 8A in the September 5th edition of USA Today! My new 15 year old daughter is attending this training as we speak!! I told mom to send some sun tan lotion with her and give her a hug for me. Mother's comment was that it would make her more independent. I found it funny that they sing Army songs and learn about the U.S. Army Black Hawk helicopter. Her new American father was an Army Ranger and spent just a little time in a helicopter!! :)

Take a look at page 8A in the September 5th edition of USA Today! My new 15 year old daughter is attending this training as we speak!! I told mom to send some sun tan lotion with her and give her a hug for me. Mother's comment was that it would make her more independent. I found it funny that they sing Army songs and learn about the U.S. Army Black Hawk helicopter. Her new American father was an Army Ranger and spent just a little time in a helicopter!! :)

or we could go here to read the article

Chinese kids undergo required military training

Liheng, who starts middle school this week, got a taste of life in the barracks over eight days last month. He and other 12-year-olds were rousted from their bunks before 6 a.m. and ran 1,500 meters before breakfast each day. Dressed in green camouflage uniforms, they split time between physical training and classes.

The highlights, he says, included singing army songs, learning self-defense and studying advanced weaponry, such as U.S. Black Hawk helicopters and aircraft carriers. The low point came when he was forced to stand rigid at attention for 20 minutes in the broiling sun because of his poor marching form.

The experience "steeled my willpower," Liheng says. He admits, "I was afraid at first. Lots of us cried at night when we missed our parents."