Adjustment Of Status & Work

Dearly Beloved,

I am happy to report that we have succesfully filed I-485 and I-765 The woes of which I shall describe. The required documentation for the I 485 includes

#1 Affidavit Of Support I-864 Not I-134

#2 Two Form G 325 For Petitioner & Benficiary

#3 1 Adit Information Sheet

#4 Copy Of Birth Certificate

#5 Copy Of Passport & Visa

#6 Filing Fee Of $ 255.00 Postal Money Order Prefferred.

#7 A photo of both of you

#8 Copy Of Marriage Certificate

We filed our paperwork at the BCIS office in person because we were advised that this would be the best approach. We arrived at the BCIS Office in Louisville Ky,and took a number. The office waiting room was rather small considering the number of people it serves. We waited our turn and approached the window. The lady at the window looked over our paperwork and immediatly told us whazt we had missing. I stood with my chin on the floor,and took a sheet of paper with her advice on it. Ampong our deficiencies was our Photo's. The lady explained that they failed to meet specifications both eyes were not showing in the field of view. This is funny (you'll see why). I was buzzing with shock but took the advice and left. It seems as thou we needed a copy of her birth certificate,I had the wrong Affidavit of Support, I-864. The adit information sheet was not in the I-485 instructions and I misread the point about the I-864.

Fast Forward 2 Weeks. Went Back. Had all my ducks in a row,and all new photo's with Birth certificate copies all nicely packaged. The lady took the old pics and left the new ones without blinking an eye. I had to fill out a G-325a by hand because I presumed that only she would need one. Mark that (both need a G325a). I presented my affidavit of support and was told that I dont have enough income and need a co-sponsor. I have 12 weeks to get one. In the mentime we have filed I-485 Adjustment Of Statusand I-765 work authorization. The Green Card wont be issued on the spot but you get a letter with an appointment which says that youve been approved for work and where and ehen you can pick up your green card.

Social Security Card. Take you Green card appointment letter and go to your SSA office and apply as usual. Caution,if you can go to an SSA ofice near where you filed your papers,since they probably handle many such cases ,more so than the local small town offices you wont have as much of a hassle. In our case the local office refused to issue a SS card claiming that her status was no longer authorized to work. But the guy at the SSA office at the federal bldg looked up her status with her I-94 number and processed her application toot sweet. She got her card in 1 1/2 weeks.

We go to pick up her green card in July.

Cool Beans ;)

Thanks for posting this Joseph. Again, it seems this AOS process is loaded with land mines. A few weeks ago, I posted in a thread in the Immigration Challenges Forum, asking a question about the photos and the 325a. When one reads the instructions carefully, nowhere does it mention needing this form for both the beneficiary and the petitioner. I asked if anyone had info on this. Most of the responses indicated that only one on the beneficiary was needed and this is what the instructions indicate. Now I see from your experience they want both. I wonder why they don't spell these things out clearly from the get go. Now I fear ours will be kicked back as incomplete. :angel: ;) :lol:

Thanks for posting this Joseph. Again, it seems this AOS process is loaded with land mines. A few weeks ago, I posted in a thread in the  Immigration Challenges Forum, asking a question about the photos and the 325a. When one reads the instructions carefully, nowhere does it mention needing this form for both the beneficiary and the petitioner. I asked if anyone had info on this. Most of the responses indicated that only one on the beneficiary was needed and this is what the instructions indicate. Now I see from your experience they want both. I wonder why they don't spell these things out clearly from the get go. Now I fear ours will be kicked back as incomplete. :angry:  :angry:  ;)

I know what your saying,and I think that was one reason we filed in person. Since I know all my data I was given a form G-325a which I filled out on the spot. Another surprise was the Adit sheet. I had never heard of it before that day. Id go ahead and download the fillable PDF form from the

BCIS site. If you use the fillable PDF it duplicates all your data for you so that you only hit print when your done and Walla instant form. You should be able to add it to your file,I think.

Just out of curiosity I called BCIS Info Line today to check on this business about needing a 325-A for the petitioner in the AOS Packet. The agent told me the 325-A was needed for both parties. On a whim, I called again a little later and talked to another officer. She stated 325-A was only needed on beneficiary. So once again, two calls, two answers. At least they were consistent on one thing. I asked them both what an ADIT sheet was and neither of them knew. :) :angry: :lol: :blink:

Thanks so much Joseph. You have been able to provide valuable information that BCIS themselves cannot seem to provide. That is what makes this board such a great asset. Again, thanks so much. I wonder if it is possible to send in the 325-A along with the ADIT sheet without it getting lost in the shuffle of paperwork in Atlanta? What are the odds it would make it to our file? :lol:

Thanks so much Joseph. You have been able to provide valuable information that BCIS themselves cannot seem to provide. That is what makes this board such a great asset. Again, thanks so much. I wonder if it is possible to send in the 325-A along with the ADIT sheet without it getting lost in the shuffle of paperwork in Atlanta? What are the odds it would make it to our file? :lol:

The odds in this and any other case with BCIS are beyond me,however I suggest that you submit the forms as an addition to your already filed package. Write a letter of explanation as a cover and just say,"I would like to add this form that I forgot. Ive found that in absense of some forms BCIS will accept a letter that explains a good legitimate reason why you dont have it. BCIS will not tell you any of this. You must learn it on your own. The same officer who refuses to let you file for lack of a particular form (most times) will let you file if you add a letter of explaination for each form you dont have, and have a good reason for not having. All the same with additions to existing files,just say oops I erred,but I have it now. Or this is why I dont have it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...