American Education

Guest ShaQuaNew

Guest ShaQuaNew

Here is a link to the New Miss Teen USA making a pathetic fool of herself to a basic question asked during the pageant the other day:

You know, I get rather obsessive when it comes to education and believe that fundamental rules must be followed to get a good education; of those:

1. Quality educators. This is the root. There are far too many wishy washy teachers today who couldn't teach their way out of a paper bag.

2. Discipline; for both the student and the teacher. No, not beatings, but just about everything required up to and touching it. Complete all work, arrive on time, dress properly, and behave courteously to your fellow students and teaching staff.

3. A quality teaching curriculum. If the teachers are required to teach crap, then what our children learn is...

Sarah, our 16 year old daughter, brought home some paperwork for me to sign from her new high school. I had to take a long pause while reading it and time for many deep breaths. Inside the stack of papers were about three unintelligibly written pages from her ESOL teacher stating the following:

PROJECT/REPORT ESOL

YOU WILL NEED:

TO BE PRESENT!!!!!!!

NO EXCUSES!!!!!

NO DISK, NO GLUE, NO SCISSORS, NO STAPLER, NO COMPUTER, NO PRINTING IN MRS. BATISTA'S CALSS! (TALK TO THE TEACHER).

NO: LEAVING IT AT HOME, IN Don OMARS'S HOUSE, IN DR. LAURA'S CAR, SICK (send it in with someone), SKIPPING IN/FROM CLASS, WAS WORKING, BECAUSE OF SPORTS, DOG EATING, BABY SITTING, MAIMI, BABY BIRTHS, WEDDINGS, LOCKER, BECAUSE OF PRINTER, OTHER CLASS HOMEWORK, FLOPPY DISK, SLEEPY...

SORRY NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That was 13 exclamation points after the last phrase. I am a writer, formerly educated in the English language, literature, journalism, punctuation, composition, and Electro-Optical Engineering. So yes, I do get a little more particular than most when it comes to English.

The next piece of information was from her American History Teacher:

Dear Parent of an American History Student,

A good historical movie dramatizes a certain era. In order for my student to better understand the general time frames in history I will be showing several movies which accurately depict certain events. Due to school board policy, notification must be given before a PG or an above rated film can be shown in class. Your signature at the bottom will acknowledge your approval that your son or daughter has permission to view these movies.

IF YOU OBJECT TO A SPECIFIC FILM, PLEASE INITIAL NEXT TO THE TITLE, Then your son or daughter will be given an alternate assignment to take the place of viewing the film. I am looking forward to teaching your child this year. If you have any concerns, comments, or questions, please feel free to contact me at school.

Thank you,

Mr. XXXXXX

Social Studies

Movie Subject Rating

The Patriot.........................War for Independence...........R

Glory.................................Civil War.............................R

Dances with Wolves.............Native Americans/Western Movement

................................................................................PG-13

Far and Away.....................Immigration/ Land Rush..........PG-13

Legends of the Fall..............WWI...................................R

Band of Brothers.................WWII..................................R

Saving Private Ryan.............WWII/D-day........................R

Schindler's List....................Holocaust...........................R

Mississippi Burning................Segregation/Civil Rights.........R

Platoon..............................Vietnam.............................R

Apollo 13............................Space Race........................PG

Forrest Gump......................Satirical View of Post WWII....PG-13

Now I'm willing to concede that young people can be a challenge to stimulate when it comes to subjects concerning history, but to use Hollywood drama to generate interest is going way too far. Yes, that's my opinion.

Most of these movies were rated highly in the commercial market, the vast majority do not accurately depict real events that occurred in history. In a time when I'm hoping that Sarah will learn about borders, presidents, government, war, and peace, I and my daughter are confronted with this.

My first reaction was to call the teacher and tell him I think he's a moron, then, later realized doing so would place Sarah in a very uncomfortable situation; so would asking the teacher to give her another assignment in lieu of having to watch Hollywood movies being sold off as a history assignment.

So, here I am, wondering just how to handle this. I do plan to call the teachers, but need to carefully plan just what to say, and what to do.

Edited by ShaQuaNew (see edit history)

I agree with what you say, but having raised 3 children now college age, I am a bit more realistic about what goes on.

A few thoughts I hope will help you:

Quality Teachers:

I know we should expect a higher level of proficiency in our teachers, but keep in mind that 30,000 a year is an average salary for our teachers.

We get what we pay for!

Perhaps we should get rid of public schools, and make everyone pay for what they get.

Capitalism has a good way of weeding out the poor students and teachers :)

Discipline:

I agree with you whole heartedly. In fact I think that a few swats on the butte with a paddle wouldn't hurt anyone.

At very least there should be two schools available to students. One where students who WANT to learn can go, and another for students who just want to goof off in class.

If they don't want to learn, stop them from disrupting the students who DO want to learn.

Curriculum:

I don't know on this one. China schools teach information and do a great job, perhaps we could model after them. On this one I don't know enough to offer comments.

Language:

I am not an English major, and I often make mistakes in English.

In fact I just finished telling my wife her English was good, and that no one in America would care if she made mistakes.

Teachers should be held to a higher standard, but again.. for what we offer as pay, do you really expect the most proficient teacher?

Movie in class:

It is a break for student and teacher. It is very wrong to tell the children it accurately depicts anything except a break from studying, but then how many letters from parents would the teacher get if he said "History is SO boring, I fall asleep while teaching it. Please understand I am going to show some movies that are loosely related during the semester just to give my students a break."

I already told my wife that I plan to spend every evening with our daughter (age 15 we should get them together) re-teaching what was presented in class. I say this for 3 reasons, 1) I know it will be difficult for her to listen to English all day in the classroom and will need the extra help to absorb the information. 2) Because I know after my other 3 children that the teaching is very limited, and sometimes wrong in class. 3) I see it as a great opportunity for me to spend time with my teenager.

I sympathize with you 100%, but you can't change the teachers, and they will only respond by treating your child poorly.

Make your own plan to supplement the education.

I hope this helps you. It is an alternative view of the problem from a Dad who is worn down from fighting the schools.

You just would not believe the stories I could tell about school and our children.

I really feel bad moving my daughter from her excellent education in China to America, but I am selfish. I can't live without her and her mother.

Here is a link to the New Miss Teen USA making a pathetic fool of herself to a basic question asked during the pageant the other day:

You know, I get rather obsessive when it comes to education and believe that fundamental rules must be followed to get a good education; of those:

1. Quality educators. This is the root. There are far too many wishy washy teachers today who couldn't teach their way out of a paper bag.

2. Discipline; for both the student and the teacher. No, not beatings, but just about everything required up to and touching it. Complete all work, arrive on time, dress properly, and behave courteously to your fellow students and teaching staff.

3. A quality teaching curriculum. If the teachers are required to teach crap, then what our children learn is...

Sarah, our 16 year old daughter, brought home some paperwork for me to sign from her new high school. I had to take a long pause while reading it and time for many deep breaths. Inside the stack of papers were about three unintelligibly written pages from her ESOL teacher stating the following:

PROJECT/REPORT ESOL

YOU WILL NEED:

TO BE PRESENT!!!!!!!

NO EXCUSES!!!!!

NO DISK, NO GLUE, NO SCISSORS, NO STAPLER, NO COMPUTER, NO PRINTING IN MRS. BATISTA'S CALSS! (TALK TO THE TEACHER).

NO: LEAVING IT AT HOME, IN Don OMARS'S HOUSE, IN DR. LAURA'S CAR, SICK (send it in with someone), SKIPPING IN/FROM CLASS, WAS WORKING, BECAUSE OF SPORTS, DOG EATING, BABY SITTING, MAIMI, BABY BIRTHS, WEDDINGS, LOCKER, BECAUSE OF PRINTER, OTHER CLASS HOMEWORK, FLOPPY DISK, SLEEPY...

That was 13 exclamation points after the last phrase. I am a writer, formerly educated in the English language, literature, journalism, punctuation, composition, and Electro-Optical Engineering. So yes, I do get a little more particular than most when it comes to English.

A good historical movie dramatizes a certain era. In order for my student to better understand the general time frames in history I will be showing several movies which accurately depict certain events. Due to school board policy, notification must be given before a PG or an above rated film can be shown in class. Your signature at the bottom will acknowledge your approval that your son or daughter has permission to view these movies.

IF YOU OBJECT TO A SPECIFIC FILM, PLEASE INITIAL NEXT TO THE TITLE, Then your son or daughter will be given an alternate assignment to take the place of viewing the film. I am looking forward to teaching your child this year. If you have any concerns, comments, or questions, please feel free to contact me at school.

Thank you,

Mr. XXXXXX

Social Studies

Movie Subject Rating

................................................................................PG-13

Now I'm willing to concede that young people can be a challenge to stimulate when it comes to subjects concerning history, but to use Hollywood drama to generate interest is going way too far. Yes, that's my opinion.

Most of these movies were rated highly in the commercial market, the vast majority do not accurately depict real events that occurred in history. In a time when I'm hoping that Sarah will learn about borders, presidents, government, war, and peace, I and my daughter are confronted with this.

My first reaction was to call the teacher and tell him I think he's a moron, then, later realized doing so would place Sarah in a very uncomfortable situation; so would asking the teacher to give her another assignment in lieu of having to watch Hollywood movies being sold off as a history assignment.

So, here I am, wondering just how to handle this. I do plan to call the teachers, but need to carefully plan just what to say, and what to do.

I agree with you about the use of Hollywood films to portray actual historical events. This is a pet peeve of mine since my undergraduate degree is in Western American History. My final paper for the degree was a paper entitled, "The Myths and Legends of Hollywood in Western American History." I would talk to your daughter's teacher about this. So as not to be confrontational, I would ask if the film list is to be used as a comparative analysis to look at fact versus fiction in American history. That should give you a legitimate opening with the teacher to express your concerns and discuss myth and reality in American history. Believe me, I come from a state where John Wayne's "Alamo" has been gospel for many years. I deal with this a lot in National Parks when people have seen a historical fiction movie and want to know where such and such event took place on the battlefield (such as Gettysburg or Little Bighorn, etc) and the reaction I got when I told them that it did not happen that way, or worse, that it NEVER happened. Good luck.

As aye,

Jim

Quality Teachers:

I know we should expect a higher level of proficiency in our teachers, but keep in mind that 30,000 a year is an average salary for our teachers.

30k and a 185 day work year at 7 hours per day=23+ dollars per hour. I worked in education for 10 years and believe me, they are not underpaid or overworked. Just try to get a teacher to work summer school. We used to offer them 25$ per hour--few takers as they didn't want to take a 'pay cut!

Quality Teachers:

30k and a 185 day work year at 7 hours per day=23+ dollars per hour. I worked in education for 10 years and believe me, they are not underpaid or overworked. Just try to get a teacher to work summer school. We used to offer them 25$ per hour--few takers as they didn't want to take a 'pay cut!

But you take work home with you; grading papers, reading essays, parent conferences, etc. It's an occupation not just confined to the classroom.

Hypothetically, if salaries would double , then many would be inticed to this profession for just the money and not for the passion of teaching.

Thank you,

Mr. XXXXXX

Social Studies

Movie Subject Rating

I agree that the educational system does need a new approach.

There are many children that want to learn and some who just want to be seen as "cool" or beautiful.

The idea of public and private school do exist today and the price between the two school is amazing. Amazing though when I have children I am definately leaning towards the quality of the education and not the cost.

Now to the list of Hollywood movies:

If the teacher wanted to show the entire moves through the year when they reach a topic I would strongly say "NO."

Schindler's List was a great movie. It's still only a movie.

Forrest Gump has no educational value.

If the teacher wanted to show a clip from a Hollywood film and then follow it with a respected documentary to compare/contrast the facts with popular fiction. That would keep history interesting enough in my own opinion.

Interesting enough American universities and graduate school are highly praised by USC and international students.

In elementary everybody wants to learn and by middle/high school kids hide in the back seats trying not to be called upon.

The educational system is failing them.

A good number of teachers today attended college in the late ¡®60¡¯s. Most of the time that should have been spent in the classroom was spent outside protesting. The college professors were sympathetic and would give passing grades regardless of the students¡¯ attendance or grades. As a result we have many with teaching degrees who do not know the material they are trying to teach. Unfortunately this gives a bad name to those teachers who know their subject and are passionate about teaching.

I think the problem with discipline is twofold. The first is that there are too many female teachers and administrators. Women in general take a more touchy feely approach to discipline than man. Students, boys especially, need a firm hand they need to clearly understand who is the boss and that failing to obey the rules will have dire consequences. The touchy feely approach lacks this. Male administrators had no problem with firm discipline and this has now been lost. The other problem I think is the result of a high divorce rate with women getting primary custody more than 95% of the time. Mothers, I think, spend too much time trying to be the best friend and confidant to their children and not enough time being a parent. This is especially true for mother with daughters. Mothers with sons are clueless as to how to handle a teenage boy and are usually run over by their sons with no way to reel them in. Although the father could control the sons, mom will not concede this and if Dad tries discipline it is usually met accusations of abuse. Teachers are then left with boys and girls who are out of control and a parent who sides with the child over the teacher because the daughter is her best friend or a feeble attempt to win her sons respect by taking his side over the teachers. Teachers are stuck with unruly students and no hope of support from home.

It always amazes me to hear reports of teachers trying new ways to engage students in order to get them to learn even the most basic subjects. Dig through the file boxes in the basements and pull out the curriculum from the 1950¡¯s and 60¡¯s. It worked before and it will work again. Of course another part of this is some basic discipline in the classroom. Assign seats to the students. Require work to be completed on time or punishment will follow. Don¡¯t try to be creative and engaging, just teach. This is the lesson and this is your assignment, period. I think teachers spend to much time trying to win over the students, the teachers I had the most respect for were the ones who didn¡¯t screw around they explained to lesson, gave the assignment and were there to help when you got stuck, but didn¡¯t coddle you.

Movie Subject Rating

A quick calculation on this list would take up about 36 hours of class time. While I think both The Patriot and Band of Brothers are excellent choices and would encourage any student to watch these selections, nothing can take the place of reading about an event. This generation does very little in the way of reading and teachers should encourage or require reading whenever possible. There are many excellent books that deal with each of these periods in American history. Anyone who has ever read a book and then followed up by watching the movie adaptation knows that the movie doesn¡¯t even come close in detail to the book. I would prefer the teacher assign the book for the students to read and then follow up with the movie to show the students that books are far superior to movies.

I agree with Trigg on teachers pay, even with grading tests at home, etc. Teachers work 9 months out of the year with numerous days of during the school year for holidays, conferences and meetings. Teachers I knew when I lived in Kentucky could have their pay spread out over 12 months if they wished, so they had 3 months of vacation during the summer with a steady income. Most took a summer job bartending or working at fitness clubs to earn extra money. Teachers know going into the profession what the pay is going to be, complaining about low pay after entering the field I think is just an NEA requirement.

As far as how to deal with your daughters teachers is concerned, I would take the approach proposed by SinoTexas. When my son entered junior high I met with his counselor. She gave me the standard chick song and dance about zero tolerance for violence and fighting and explained how they encouraged conflict resolution instead. I told her that two boys fighting after school was conflict resolution and that I became good friends with every guy I ever fought. She also fed me the line about how weapons were not allowed in the school. My son would be expelled even if he brought a plastic knife in lunch box, so be careful when packing his lunch. She was not pleased when I told her that I could easily kill someone with a pen or a book and was the school planning on banning those items too. :)

I hope I didn't make to many grammatical errors in this post. I don¡¯t want to get attacked by those of you with real educations. :P

Guest ShaQuaNew

I agree with what you say, but having raised 3 children now college age, I am a bit more realistic about what goes on.

A few thoughts I hope will help you:

Quality Teachers:

We get what we pay for!

I agree that in life there is a rule that you get what you pay for, but unfortunately the American Educational System and its financing are far more complex than what paying teachers more money will fix. Anything attempting in that area is overrun by misspent taxes, corruption, and discipline problems.

Perhaps we should get rid of public schools, and make everyone pay for what they get. Capitalism has a good way of weeding out the poor students and teachers

I agree.

Curriculum:

I don't know on this one. China schools teach information and do a great job, perhaps we could model after them. On this one I don't know enough to offer comments.

The Chinese system is more effective because discipline is a way of life. Parents, teachers, and students all respect that when an assignment is given, it¡¯s to be completed. Bad behavior is dealt with immediately, both by the school and then at home.

I agree with you about the use of Hollywood films to portray actual historical events. This is a pet peeve of mine since my undergraduate degree is in Western American History. My final paper for the degree was a paper entitled, "The Myths and Legends of Hollywood in Western American History."

I would talk to your daughter's teacher about this. So as not to be confrontational, I would ask if the film list is to be used as a comparative analysis to look at fact versus fiction in American history.

Yes, I did speak with the teacher about this very subject, and while we didn¡¯t go so deep as a comparative analysis, he did concede that his comment about the movies being historically accurate. He attempted to recover by stating that they read and discuss the historical event in their textbooks, and then he uses clips from these movies to ¡°bring the event to life.¡± We ended with him understanding that I still disagreed, and would hold him to his comment that he promised ¡°Sarah would have a valuable and effective American History experience.¡±

I agree, I don¡¯t think teacher pay is the root of the problem here.

that's interesting that they fill the list with mostly "R" rated movies for an age group restricted from seeing it on their own.

I agree.

But you take work home with you; grading papers, reading essays, parent conferences, etc. It's an occupation not just confined to the classroom.

Hypothetically, if salaries would double , then many would be inticed [sic enticed] to this profession for just the money and not for the passion of teaching.

Again, I think the problem is not rooted in teacher pay. While paying a teacher more may attract more talent, one must consider the high level of teacher burnout because of ineffective curriculums and non-existent discipline policies. Today, many things a teacher does are quickly undone by school administration or ignorant parents.

Interesting enough American universities and graduate school are highly praised by USC and international students.

Yes! So very true. The best in the world in fact. Student pay top dollar to attend these Colleges and Universities, which inspires them to learn, and their parents to kick ass if they goof off.

At least she appeared coherent on the Today show. Intelligence still seemed somewhat elusive, however.

Haven¡¯t seen it yet; but recovering from that has to border on the impossible. Unfortunately for her, it will follow her forever.

This generation does very little in the way of reading and teachers should encourage or require reading whenever possible. There are many excellent books that deal with each of these periods in American history.

Anyone who has ever read a book and then followed up by watching the movie adaptation knows that the movie doesn¡¯t even come close in detail to the book. I would prefer the teacher assign the book for the students to read and then follow up with the movie to show the students that books are far superior to movies.

Yes, so true. It¡¯s a difficult challenge for teachers to get students to read because most of the time the students are emulating their parents behavior, who also don¡¯t read.

With her good looks, brains won't matter. As a matter of fact, the exposure she receives from this will help her career greater than had she just sailed through with an articulate answer.

Your point is certainly valid and well taken, however, quite often beauty and a good agent are all that are needed in life.

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)
Guest ShaQuaNew

With her good looks, brains won't matter. As a matter of fact, the exposure she receives from this will help her career greater than had she just sailed through with an articulate answer.

Your point is certainly valid and well taken, however, quite often beauty and a good agent are all that are needed in life.

Possibly. But if she's as ignorant as what she appears, then her good looks will provide her a brief career in B-movies and appearances and lead her to a place where she can be an unhappy woman being someone's arm candy.

Seriously though, people often say that women don't need to be smart if they are good looking. Perhaps she touched on something in her previous interviews about why she entered beauty pageants; she said to improve her skills at public speaking. The sky is the limit for the lady, though her brain may only allow her to get a few inches off the ground.

Looking at pretty women on the screen is great. It sells movies, and both men and women love it. The tragic story of Marilyn Monroe comes to mind though, where many said she was very intelligent, but was pushed to behave like a dumb blonde to further her career. It got to her eventually, and she wanted to be treated kindly and respectfully like everyone else.

Not trying to drop a heavy here, just saying that looks really don't so as much as many might think. Fame and fortune maybe, but little else.

Possibly. But if she's as ignorant as what she appears, then her good looks will provide her a brief career in B-movies and appearances and lead her to a place where she can be an unhappy woman being someone's arm candy.

Seriously though, people often say that women don't need to be smart if they are good looking. Perhaps she touched on something in her previous interviews about why she entered beauty pageants; she said to improve her skills at public speaking. The sky is the limit for the lady, though her brain may only allow her to get a few inches off the ground.

Looking at pretty women on the screen is great. It sells movies, and both men and women love it. The tragic story of Marilyn Monroe comes to mind though, where many said she was very intelligent, but was pushed to behave like a dumb blonde to further her career. It got to her eventually, and she wanted to be treated kindly and respectfully like everyone else.

Not trying to drop a heavy here, just saying that looks really don't so as much as many might think. Fame and fortune maybe, but little else.

I know intelligent people who jumble their words and speak incoherently due to public-speaking phobia.

Disturbing facts about our education system:

I'm a young guy who attended high school in the 80's.

I was a very good student. The biggest thing that I would change about our educational system or at the very least high school would be to add a financial literacy class.

It wasn't until my senior year in college when I took a required Finance class that a light bulb shone above my head. "Wow, this is how people make money besides trading hours of their life for money. The stock market, the hundreds of investments, corporations, and entrepreneurs, and the most important is passive streams of income.

I asked my professor why isn't this taught to people at a much younger age? His response, "Money concepts are usually taught by the parents." This is hitting the nail square on the nail. A very popular author who wrote "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" became famous writing about this exact concept.

The 3 Rs. Reading, Writing, Arithmatic.

The below statistics were taken from

Para Publishing

One-third of high school graduates never read another book for the rest of their lives. Many do not even graduate from high school.

58% of the US adult population never reads another book after high school.

42% of college graduates never read another book.

80% of US families did not buy or read a book last year.

70% of US adults have not been in a bookstore in the last five years.

57% of new books are not read to completion.

--Jerrold Jenkins.

----------------------------------------

Literacy

1992: 20% of adults in the U.S. read at or below the fifth grade level.

--National Adult Literacy Survey reported in Publishers Weekly, January 6, 2003.

"Half of the American people have never read a newspaper. Half have never voted for President. One hopes it is the same half."

--Gore Vidal, author.

PROJECT/REPORT ESOL

YOU WILL NEED:

TO BE PRESENT!!!!!!!

NO EXCUSES!!!!!

Thank you,

Mr. XXXXXX

Social Studies

Movie Subject Rating

Sure beats the heck out of writing lesson plans!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When are they going to have time for instruction? During visits to the snack bar???????????????????????????

There is a definite leftist bent to some of these theatrical offerings.

As for Mrs Batista, the useless-as-tits-on-a-boar-hog ESL teacher, the only option is summary execution. I have a masters in philology (emphasis on comparative linguistics), and can state that the woman is an obvious embarrassment to the profession.

ESL just means Julio and Maria can speak Spanish at school, as well as at home. We did much better in this country when it was sink-or-swim.

Option 1: Is there a Lutheran or Catholic school to which you can send her?

Option 2: Go ahead and confront the "history" teacher. He's obviously too dense to be offended.

Option 3: Do nothing, and allow her to learn what "bell curve" and "70th percentile" mean.

Option 4: Strangle Mrs Batista with your bare hands. There won't be a jury who will convict you.

Option 5: Go to Mrs, Batista's calss yourself and observe an idiot in action!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Option 6: Have your daughter get a job for 2 years, and get her GED.

Oh, and buy a really good electronic translator. It will come in handy for that copy of Well's "Outline of History".

Edited by trumpetwasher (see edit history)