AOS Rejection - wrong fees?

I've mailed my son's AOS/EAD applications on 7/25/07 via USPS Priority mail, certified and receipt confirmation. USCIS locked box received it on 7/27/07 and the mailroom received on 7/28/07.

I received the NOA rejection on my son's I-485 and I-765 on Saturday 8/25/07. The Received date on the NOAs dated 7/28/07, with a Notice Date 8/20/07. The reasons for the rejection were wrong fees applied to both I-485 and I-765.

I wrote a check of $395.00 for my son's I-485 and another check of $180.00 for his I-765.

What is the correct fees for AOS? My son turned 12 on May 07.

What is the correct fees for EAD? I assumed the old fees still appiled in this case because USCIS received the applications on 7/28/07 - as indicated on the NOAs.

I've mailed my son's AOS/EAD applications on 7/25/07 via USPS Priority mail, certified and receipt confirmation. USCIS locked box received it on 7/27/07 and the mailroom received on 7/28/07.

I received the NOA rejection on my son's I-485 and I-765 on Saturday 8/25/07. The Received date on the NOAs dated 7/28/07, with a Notice Date 8/20/07. The reasons for the rejection were wrong fees applied to both I-485 and I-765.

I wrote a check of $395.00 for my son's I-485 and another check of $180.00 for his I-765.

What is the correct fees for EAD? I assumed the old fees still appiled in this case because USCIS received the applications on 7/28/07 - as indicated on the NOAs.

see my timeline in my signature. i wrote the same amounts on my checks for my wife and both were accepted. and i sent our i485/765 about the same time.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=83733

Big discussion on visa journey on this.

Sounds like a moron at USCIS no reading their memos, the USCIS site clearly stated that all petitions "POSTMARKED" before July 30 will be accepted at the pre-July 30 rates.

This is what was on that site:

New Application and Petition Fees Go Into Effect July 30, 2007 (27KB PDF)

USCIS reminds its customers that the agency's new fee schedule is effective on July 30, 2007. Applications or petitions postmarked or otherwise filed on or after that date must include the new fee.

ALSO:

WASHINGTON¡ªU.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) reminds the public that its new fee schedule is effective today, July 30, 2007. Applications or petitions postmarked or otherwise filed on or after today must include the new fee.
http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/Fi...nder30Jul07.pdf
Guest ShaQuaNew

Sounds like a moron at USCIS no reading their memos, the USCIS site clearly stated that all petitions "POSTMARKED" before July 30 will be accepted at the pre-July 30 rates.

This is what was on that site:

New Application and Petition Fees Go Into Effect July 30, 2007 (27KB PDF)

USCIS reminds its customers that the agency's new fee schedule is effective on July 30, 2007. Applications or petitions postmarked or otherwise filed on or after that date must include the new fee.

ALSO:

WASHINGTON¡ªU.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) reminds the public that its new fee schedule is effective today, July 30, 2007. Applications or petitions postmarked or otherwise filed on or after today must include the new fee.
http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/Fi...nder30Jul07.pdf

I suggest you schedule an Info Pass to address this; especially if your NOA clearly shows the received date as being before 7/30.

https://infopass.uscis.gov/info_en.php

Guest ShaQuaNew

Did you use the old form, or new form to file? The new form has this in the footer of each page:

Form I-485 Instructions (Rev. 07/30/07)

That form stipulates the new fee, even though you filed before 7/30/2007.

• 2 weeks later...

Dumb question but:

Did they cash the checks?

The checks were returned together with the NOAs :rolleyes:

I've scheduled an InfoPass appointment tomorrow morning at 9:30am...I'll see what they have to say!

Hi Clement, how did your InfoPass appointment go? Any updates?

The officers at the San Francisco USCIS office told me it was a mistake to reject my applications based on the new fees schedule. They said I should resubmit the package with a cover letter highlighting the postmarked date on received date of the package.

I did all of the above plus including the USCIS memo/guidelines on applications postmarked before 7/30. Let's see what happens next...