Old Green Cards w/o expiration dates...

I just saw this on the USCIS web site. I remember the old GC that I first got in 1988 that has no expiration date. Now the USCIS is proposing to make it mandatory to replace those old ones with new ones that has an expiration date.

Is there anyone or their love ones here that still has the old style GC? According to USCIS, one can apply for the new card before the implementation date by filing Form I-90.

http://www.uscis.gov/files/pressrelease/I5...entQA082207.pdf

http://a257.g.akamaitech.net/7/257/2422/01...07/E7-16311.htm

To me it seems to make sense to renew the old green cards without an expiration date, It will help to update the photograph and other information. The one way to get around this is to become a citizen. My wife and I are ready to submit her I-751 this September to get her 10-year green card. I was talking about this with her that we will not have to deal with the USCIS for 10 years and she made the comment that she would like to get her citizenship after she has been here three years. I was a little surprised, but I believe it is because she has acclimated herself very well to America and see the benefits of this.

Edited by BillV 8-16-2004 (see edit history)

Instead of filing I-90 and paying $370 for the pleasure of a 10 year card, how about filing N-400 and paying a one time fee of $675 and then never have to deal with USCIS again?

Who knows what they will be charging 10 years from now when you decide to either get a new green-card or naturalize.

It is said over and over that one never loses the GC status as long as one is living in the US, only that the card needs to be renewed. Well, if one never loses the status, then what if I don't renew? What happens? Do I go to jail?

I never understood this. If one can never lose the GC status, so long as I'm living in the US and not breaking any laws, then how do they compel me to renew GC cards?

It is said over and over that one never loses the GC status as long as one is living in the US, only that the card needs to be renewed. Well, if one never loses the status, then what if I don't renew? What happens? Do I go to jail?

I never understood this. If one can never lose the GC status, so long as I'm living in the US and not breaking any laws, then how do they compel me to renew GC cards?

Correct, I know a Canadian living in the US as LPR 30 years, no problem, however she dose wish to visit family in Canada, and a Valid I-551 green-card is needed to re-enter the country.

Instead of filing I-90 and paying $370 for the pleasure of a 10 year card, how about filing N-400 and paying a one time fee of $675 and then never have to deal with USCIS again?

Who knows what they will be charging 10 years from now when you decide to either get a new green-card or naturalize.

I agree just get it over with, my wife does not want to keep a 10 year green card 10 years and have to deal with the USCIS again, she is looking at citizenship in three and paying the current fee, and yes who knows what the future will hold.

Edited by BillV 8-16-2004 (see edit history)