Green card

I was researching past post to see how long it will take my wife and daughter to get their green cards. I saw one post from Hakkamike that stated it will take approximately 30 days to receive it in the mail. Is this right?

Will my daughter be able to return to China thereafter to complete her schooling there before returning to the US?

Thanks in advance

"Green card, how soon"...good question and I have to rebuke the "30 days" thing you posted. It'll take at least 30 days to get the I-485 approval notice, let alone the greencard.

Nope, the greencard can take anywhere between 6 and 30 mos. to get. Sometimes even longer. They are very unpredictable.

CR-1 & CR-2 visa holders usually receive their green card within 30 days of entry.

K-1 & K-2 visa holders requires that you file for Adjustment of status, like was said this is 6 months in most places, but some regional offices are over a year in this process.

K-3 & K-4 visa holders can either file for Adjustment of Status with the same timing as the K-1 & -2 visa holders or have the process move forward from the I-130 and return to China for their CR-1 & CR-2 interview and visa, which gets them the green card mailed to them on their return to the US.

If your daughter comes on a K-2 visa you will need to move quickly to get AOS filed for both mom and daughter so that you can hopefully get Advanced Parole (AP) for your daughter about 30 days after filing.

Now for the most important part of AP, when you get the AOS interview your daughter will need to return for the appointment, this is extremely important. Usually, they will have similar appointments and possibly together. She will also need to have biometrics taken, but it might be possible for this to be done by DHS in China, but you would need to check that out to be sure. DHS has an office in Beijing and GZ for sure and it would probably require special arrangements.

Also, if mom and daughter get their green cards issued within 90 days of each other they can file for removal of conditions on the same I-751 which will save you about $500 over separate filings.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Green cards for most K-visas are showing up a lot quicker today than a few years ago. Now many applicants are being approved without an interview. We filed AOS in October of 2006. Lan received her green card in early March 2007. Still, there are no guarantees as to timing, just like anything with immigration. Invariably, there is always the hidden "F" factor, that can be created by mishandling on the end of the USCIS, or an improperly completed form on the applicant's end. The track record of Candle members is quite positive. All one can do is complete all the forms in their entirety, ensuring all evidence is included in the first mailing; cross your fingers, and hope for the best.

Gordon ... your time line reflects only filing a 129. I think most of us assume that you are K1/K2. This is inconsistent with your reference to wife.

Are you guys K1 or K3 ... or something else??

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. We are not actually married yet but refer to each other as husband and wife.

Guest ShaQuaNew

Gordon ... your time line reflects only filing a 129. I think most of us assume that you are K1/K2. This is inconsistent with your reference to wife.

Are you guys K1 or K3 ... or something else??

I'm sorry for the misunderstanding. We are not actually married yet but refer to each other as husband and wife.

It's very common for a chinese couple to refer to each other as husband (lao gon) and wife (lao po) after making a committment to marry. I think most members on this site have done so. :lol: