Chinese Female Advice to Another Chinese Femal On Coming to America

She went on to tell her friend that Chinese cooking would probably appear in our house once or twice a week, which is fine with me (I'll take sushi anytime).

Jim

I'm almost afraid to tell you this, Jim, but sushi is JAPANESE, not CHINESE.

Good luck...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She went on to tell her friend that Chinese cooking would probably appear in our house once or twice a week, which is fine with me (I'll take sushi anytime).

Jim

Good luck...

See previous comment of August 15, 2007 in this same thread.

Aug 17 2007, 11:57 AM Post #20

More Than An Eight Second Ride

Group: Members

Member No.: 1889

QUOTE(mchina34 @ Aug 17 2007, 01:26 AM)

sushi is japanese (at least currently), not chinese.

about her 'adapting'...i will be in shock if she eats rice only twice a week. it'd be like you going to china and eating american food only twice a week, and chinese food the other 15 meals of the week.

Having lived and worked in Matsumoto (Japan) for a couple of years, I think I know where sushi comes from. Japanese is my favourite cuisine and as I said many times before, I did not go for my fiancee because she is Chinese. As to the rest, we'll just see. California Jim seems to have the balance that my fiancee and I would attempt to strive for.

As aye,

Jim

Jim

Good luck...

about her 'adapting'...i will be in shock if she eats rice only twice a week. it'd be like you going to china and eating american food only twice a week, and chinese food the other 15 meals of the week.

Having lived and worked in Matsumoto (Japan) for a couple of years, I think I know where sushi comes from. Japanese is my favourite cuisine and as I said many times before, I did not go for my fiancee because she is Chinese. As to the rest, we'll just see. California Jim seems to have the balance that my fiancee and I would attempt to strive for.

As aye,

Jim

Considering that someone like me would reply before reading all the posts in a thread, it is likely you will get similar comments again in future. To save trouble, I suggest you get one of the mod to delete your original line of "(I'll take sushi anytime)", Jim, or change it. :P Just a suggestion, you don't have to listen. :)

Edited by Joanne (see edit history)

If you have to ask, then your not reading the situation/environment enough.. not that we have to be mind readers, but if you start to really pay attention, you will start to read her mind on some level...

The moral of the story is: she probably prefers not to be asked since it's an admission you don't know what to "do"...

Is this the Zen version of a woman saying "if you loved me you would know"? My ex was very fond of saying that when I would ask her what it is she wants.

While that is a interesting comment the

"if you loved me you would know"

My response would be "If you loved me you would know that I'm not a mind reader."

I personally like the Biblical phrase. "Ask and it shall be given."

I've learned a lot of Chinese culture but still have a lot left to learn.

She has learned a little American culture but still has a lot to learn.

Communication and relationships are two-way streets.

Jim

Good luck...

As aye,

Jim

Considering that someone like me would reply before reading all the posts in a thread, it is likely you will get similar comments again in future. To save trouble, I suggest you get one of the mod to delete your original line of "(I'll take sushi anytime)", Jim, or change it. :P Just a suggestion, you don't have to listen. <_<

Thanks for the suggestion Joanne. Cute avatar by the way!

As aye,

Jim

supply the kitchen with Chinese cooking utensils and a few other things of which I already forgot.

English has been my working language for the past 12 years and I type in English much faster than I type in Chinese, still I want Chinese cooking utensils in the kitchen which will give me a feeling of home, though I will cook American food for most of the time.

It is hard to predict how she would adjust to life in USA. What she said now might be totally opposite when she is here.

If she was not well travelled before she arrived in America, she may lack imagination of what cultural shock is. If she is in mid 40s or older, the cultural shock is really unbearable. Before they arrived in America, the excitement of longing for a new life made them overlook the challenges ahead.

If you have to ask, then your not reading the situation/environment enough.. not that we have to be mind readers, but if you start to really pay attention, you will start to read her mind on some level...

The moral of the story is: she probably prefers not to be asked since it's an admission you don't know what to "do"...

Is this the Zen version of a woman saying "if you loved me you would know"? My ex was very fond of saying that when I would ask her what it is she wants.

While that is a interesting comment the

"if you loved me you would know"

My response would be "If you loved me you would know that I'm not a mind reader."

I personally like the Biblical phrase. "Ask and it shall be given."

I've learned a lot of Chinese culture but still have a lot left to learn.

She has learned a little American culture but still has a lot to learn.

Communication and relationships are two-way streets.

That IS the point.. getting outside of our paradigms to learn anothers form of communication..it's not always the same as ours and doesn't make it any less communication just because it lacks words...

afterall, "words" are quite empty at times...

When my fiancee arrives in Eureka, Montana I am concerned that having more animals than people will alarm her. I have tried to prepare her, but I guess she will need to experience it for herself. :(

We live in a small city in Texas. Ying likens it to living in a park because as she puts it....there is clean air, no noise, small buildings, green grass, large trees, a river with real woods on the bank, turtles sunning themselves on logs, wild ducks and geese in the park and wild deer that walk by our window every day.

She loves it, but then she says she grew up a country girl who later moved to the city. I am sure your fiance might find the experience different. I'd live there myself, but Ying has said she does not like cold winters, and I doubt a PSU Viking would fit in the land of the Grizz.

Edited by Carl (see edit history)