Chinese Valentine's Day?

I just asked Limei about Chinese valentines and she said that it is not real. A fictional old love story recognized on July 7. Because of the lunar calendar this year July 7th is August 19.

Robert, please tell Limei that I want the points for extra effort so I sent roses anyway. :lol:

I just told her...she says you are so romantic...."thanks, I think I better buy some roses now"!!!

VALENTINE'S Day in China is the seventh day of the seventh lunar month.It is also called the Qi Xi Festival.

The Qi Xi Festival is based on an ancient Chinese fairy tale that tells of the love between a farm boy named Niulang and a fairy living in heaven named Zhinu . The ancient God of heaven became angry at the pair and only allowed them to meet once a year. After time, Niulang and Zhinu became two stars in the sky, who were linked to each other once a year in the middle of the summer by the Milky Way.

I just asked Limei about Chinese valentines and she said that it is not real. A fictional old love story recognized on July 7. Because of the lunar calendar this year July 7th is August 19.

I think our own "Valentine's Day" is based on some shaky legend as well. So who's to say which is more real? :)

Probably best to do as Lee suggests and celebrate both. Never hurts to practice a little CYA no? :)

Edited by IllinoisDave (see edit history)

I just got a message from Annieflower reminding me that Chinese Valentine's Day is August 19. How does everyone deal with this. Do you send something for this one or for ours in February or both? Just curious.

:) I'm really surprised you'd have to ask Dave.

BOTH if you're smart and don't want to be "mop-slapped". :)

If you had to choose one? Chose the Chinese date, after all she's Chinese and in China. :P

I don't know how long they've been celebrating "Qi Xi Festival" but celebrating western Valentine's day (2/14) is a rather new phenomenon, mostly for the young crowd who likes to embrace many things Western. Older Chinese folks do absolutely nothing special on 2/14.

Edited by SirLancelot (see edit history)

I just got a message from Annieflower reminding me that Chinese Valentine's Day is August 19. How does everyone deal with this. Do you send something for this one or for ours in February or both? Just curious.

:) I'm really surprised you'd have to ask Dave.

BOTH if you're smart and don't want to be "mop-slapped". :P

If you had to choose one? Chose the Chinese date, after all she's Chinese and in China. :P

I don't know how long they've been celebrating "Qi Xi Festival" but celebrating western Valentine's day (2/14) is a rather new phenomenon, mostly for the young crowd who likes to embrace many things Western. Older Chinese folks do absolutely nothing special on 2/14.

What was I thinking? :)

She was the only one at her office to receive roses that day, which made her the envy of all the other ladies in the office. When she took them home, her Mom was so impressed. She said LeeLee must really love you. She thought I had sent the roses to Ping from the U.S. :) Priceless :)

toplaw, flowers are of course appreciated by Chinese ladies of all ages and any time of the year--you needn't wait for any special holiday.

For even more brownie points, I'd recommend sending Ping's mother a bouquet of roses. See how impressed both mother and daughter become. :D

She was the only one at her office to receive roses that day, which made her the envy of all the other ladies in the office. When she took them home, her Mom was so impressed. She said LeeLee must really love you. She thought I had sent the roses to Ping from the U.S. :) Priceless :D

toplaw, flowers are of course appreciated by Chinese ladies of all ages and any time of the year--you needn't wait for any special holiday.

For even more brownie points, I'd recommend sending Ping's mother a bouquet of roses. See how impressed both mother and daughter become. :D

You are clever, Lance. Are you suggesting that I send them to Mom on Valentine's day? We also have a daughter with an August 10 birthday. I had been thinking about sending flowers to her, even though she received my birthday package today.

I didn't know how much it would mean to our daughter when I added one of those little red envelopes with a hundred dollar bill with her birthday gifts. She was so excited, and is inviting all of her classmates to have a birthday lunch with her for her last birthday in China.

Papa LeeLee had another priceless moment without even knowing it would happen. Our daughter cried because she has never had a father figure in her life (how can a father walk away and never see or care about his daughter?), and now she said she has the best Papa in the world.

Wait a minute though, do you own an interest in Annie Flower? :o

Haha.. Don't get started about Annie Flower with me. I got lambasted a while back on here because I said some negative things about Annie Flower prices. I have absolutely no financial interest in Annie Flower at all.

That is in the past. I don't want to revisit that again. Everyone should use whatever flower shop they find is of value to them.

With regards to sending flowers to Ping's mom. I think it would be brilliant if you did that. But you must keep it a secret from Ping. I fear you'll blurt it out during one of your conversations to Ping. But yes, send Ping's mother some flowers. Not 99. Not necessary. 12 would do nicely. I think this will go a long way towards getting you a lot of extra brownie points with the mother and Ping. :D

As for your soon to be step-daughter, that's not a bad idea. I'm sure she'd be thrilled.

Perhaps you should contact Annie Flower and see if you can get a stake in her business for all the business you'll be giving her. :)

Dave, it is the 7th day of the 7th lunar month, which is August 19 this year.

I just ordered 99 roses for Ping.

You just made me a romantic hero. My trip next month to see Ping will be even more enjoyable.

Thanks very much.

Why not a hundred? :)

I have sent flowers three times in China, our Valentine's day, after we got engaged, and our Mother's day (fruit basket)!! I have used Flora 2000, a great and decent priced service for sending flowers or gifts in China, they also send an e-mail right after they are delivered. I have also used Greeting Cards 123, Chinese greeting cards for free!! :)