Four days till the interview...did we miss anything?

Hi CFL-ers. my fianc¨¦e and I are getting close to the magical interview date. I sent her my notarized I-864, along with my 2006 return and IRS-provided summaries of my 2005 and 2004 returns. I sent a notarized letter from my university. giving my salary and length of employment there (tenured--six years). I have an original letter from me (typed--my handwriting is AWFUL) that is notarized. I have copies of my divorce papers from 9 years ago (no kids, no spousal support--fiancee has never married and ex has remarried years ago--I have my fiancee the ex's SSN just in case). I sent a letter from my parents, signed by them that they have met her and approve of our wedding. I have photos from my 6 visits to China with her and her family, 12 sample photos in all from the visits and in different locations--each photo captioned on the back. We have the receipts for the wedding dress (love cheap Chinese labor--chapel length gown with all the trimmings, crinolines, box, and veil for only $150 USD), receipt for wedding rings, and of course she will wear her engagement ring. I sent copies of my passport with the photo page and pages of the Chinese visas (I can't be in Guangzhou with her--too bad). She had a tourist visa last year to come see me and she has that in her passport. I also copied my airline ticket receipts, she also printed samples of our Yahoo and Skype chats. We went over each question on the forms twice. She's a doctor, so she knows the medical form stuff and I videochatted with her this morning--the medical is all good, done, and sealed in the envelope. She has police reports translated from her city in China and from Boston, where she was a medical researcher for 2 years. She was born at home, so she has notarized and translated statements to that effect, as well as her certificate of single-hood (as I call it).

OK, *deep breath* are we ready?

I sent her my notarized I-864

IF K-1 or K-3 it needs to be I-134 NOT I-864. The I-864 is used for the green-card, either for immigrations visa (CR-1/IR-1) or in the USA for adjustment of status.

9 FAM 41.81 N4 DOCUMENTARY REQUIREMENTS

b. K-1 and K-3 applicants are subject to INA 212(a)(4) and must demonstrate to the consular officer's satisfaction that they will not become a public charge. The Form I-864, Affidavit of Support Under Section 213 A of the Act cannot be required. Applicants may submit a letter from the petitioner's employer or evidence that they will be self-supporting. The Form I-134, Affidavit of Support, may be required when the consular officer deems it useful.

http://foia.state.gov/searchRegs/vv_docVie...eryText=I%2D864

I hope you just typoed about the I-864 and are actually using I-134.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

Jeff, the one thing I see (actually don't see) that could be a problem is your circumstances vs hers.

She's a doctor and has worked in the US 2 years as a medical researcher ... obviously she has a big financial incentive to emigrate and is the kind who could potentially afford to "buy" an American husband.

In any case, and particularly if you don't have a well documented annual income of $100K+, you need to be very careful to show that you paid for your airline tickets on 6 trips to China, you have a solid financial plan, etc etc. Hopefully in addition to your tenured position at the university you have outside income from consulting, writing, speaking, etc.

Complimenting this should be as much relationship evidence as you can muster. You seem to have a lot but I don't think overkill is possible in your circumstance.

Good luck!

oops. yes, typo, I sent the I-134. As for incomes, I paid for all of my plane tickets, with the one exception where my college paid for one plane ticket where I was lecturing in the same city as my fiancee. Since her income is significantly below mine (after currency conversion, and since her English is not good enough to pass the medical exams here, we don't plan on her being a doctor in this country.

Jeff, the one thing I see (actually don't see) that could be a problem is your circumstances vs hers.

She's a doctor and has worked in the US 2 years as a medical researcher ... obviously she has a big financial incentive to emigrate and is the kind who could potentially afford to "buy" an American husband.

In any case, and particularly if you don't have a well documented annual income of $100K+, you need to be very careful to show that you paid for your airline tickets on 6 trips to China, you have a solid financial plan, etc etc. Hopefully in addition to your tenured position at the university you have outside income from consulting, writing, speaking, etc.

Complimenting this should be as much relationship evidence as you can muster. You seem to have a lot but I don't think overkill is possible in your circumstance.

Good luck!

Interesting you see it this way Jim. I tend to see it in a completely different way. Seeing as the beneficiary has already been to the US twice--once on a tourist visa and once either on a work or student visa--I think it only adds to the credibility of the beneficiary. If she wanted simply to come to the US to work or live, she could have already done that--in fact did already do that. Given that she returned back to China both times, I would tend to believe the VO will look very favorably on her. And, given that she's already worked in the US, I tend to believe the VO won't be as concerned about the finances as well since she should be able to find work again. It seems to me that she doesn't even need the petitioner at all if she wanted only to work in the US. She's already been able to do that. She can get a company to sponsor a work visa for her.

Of course this is my analysis and I'm not a VO, but I don't see anything to worry about, except this birth at home issue. What is this? Does she have a notarized birth certificate from the Chinese notary? Her birth date has to be notarized by the Notary office. So long as the Notary office can vouch for her birth date, then it should be ok.

Lance ... I respect your opinion and the OP's reply to my potential concern. It's best to be prepared for anything ... as we all know you can never tell how the wind will blow but if you've thought it through in advance you have a better chance of success.

Born at home ... you still get the Notary birth record ... np.

Lance ... I respect your opinion and the OP's reply to my potential concern. It's best to be prepared for anything ... as we all know you can never tell how the wind will blow but if you've thought it through in advance you have a better chance of success.

Born at home ... you still get the Notary birth record ... np.

Absolutely Jim. I'm not trying to say I'm correct and you're wrong. It could indeed turn out that the VO she encounters thinks like you. I just thought it was very interesting how your analysis was quite different than mine when I saw the same set of facts. :unsure: I would certainly support your suggestion for the OP to be prepared for all contingencies.

You know I highly respect your posts and comments Jim. :)

I also would anticipate an explanation of how you met each other in the beginning.

If in the USA or even in China through business or university, it might lead them to give more credibility to your overall situation. This is particularly true in your case since this is more common way for people in your and her education and financial position to meet as opposed to through a marriage broker.

Just make sure she can explain this. I am sure you put it in your evolution of a relationship letter, so maybe I am telling you what you already know.

oops. Sorry, yes that was a typo. I sent the notarized I-134.

Excellent! :lol: Had me worried there.

we met through the internet, but it wasn't a marriage broker. I addressed it in my "tell-all" letter to the VO.

As for employment, I was a bit taken aback by the earlier response. She has already been here on work/research visa, so that couldn't be an issue. If it was just work she wanted, she could have gotten that at almost any time. But, I take all advice seriously and will video chat with her one final time. Also, I'll remind her to wear the engagement ring and dress professionally and be assertive, positive.

Thanks, guys!