AOS (Divorce Papers)

RE: The I-485

Are they asking for divorce papers from me or my wife, or both? Hers are in Chinese. Do they have to be translated to English? I hope I don't have to go through all of that again. Thanks in advance. :unsure:

You are sending the I-485 to an English speaking office at USCIS, they may have Spanish speakers, but most likely don't have anyone who can read Chinese, most likely the adjudicator cannot.

Anyway, Yes they do have to be translated.

From USCIS site:

Please submit certified translations for all foreign language documents. The translator must certify that s/he is competent to translate and that the translation is accurate.

The certification format should include the certifier's name, signature, address, and date of certification. A suggested format is:

Certification by Translator

I [typed name], certify that I am fluent (conversant) in the English and ________ languages, and that the above/attached document is an accurate translation of the document attached entitled ______________________________.

Signature_________________________________

Date Typed Name

Address

http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD

If you have a friend who knows both languages, have them do it for you, you do not need a professional translator, just have the certification of translator at the bottom of the translations.

You should have had them done for the interview, you did not make and keep a copy?

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

I have the notorized copies in English. Do I need to send both Chinese version and English version with AOS?

Also, the certified copies do not have a signature. It states: "This is to certify that the English copy of Notarial Certificate (2007) xxxx No.xxxx is in conformity with the original Chinese copy."

Edited by RLS (see edit history)

I have the notorized copies in English. Do I need to send both Chinese version and English version with AOS?

Also, the certified copies do not have a signature. It states: "This is to certify that the English copy of Notarial Certificate (2007) xxxx No.xxxx is in conformity with the original Chinese copy."

Make a photo copy of both and just send in the photo copies, keep the originals, and there is probably a seal on the translation so should be fine, sound much like Yu's Birth Cert.

USCIS no longer routinely requires submission of original documents or "certified copies." Instead, ordinary legible photocopies of such documents (including naturalization certificates and alien registration cards) will be acceptable for initial filing and approval of petitions and applications.
http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/uscis/men...00045f3d6a1RCRD