Civil Surgeons

I now see where my friend became confused. If you read my post above, he did not go to a "civil surgeon" and filed his paperwork thinking he did not need the medical exam.

The instructions on the I-485 are a little misleading. One paragraph states: "Individuals applying for adjustment of status through a local USCIS office.

If you are filing your adjustment of status application with a local USCIS office include your medical examination report with the application."

The next instruction says:

"Fiance(e)s.

If you are a K-1 fiance' or K2 dependent who had a medical examination within the past year as required for the nonimmigrant fiance' visa, you only need to submit a vaccination supplement, not the entire medical report. You may include the vaccination supplement with your adjustment of status application."

I can see where someone might think, hey, my wife just had her medical exam just a few months ago, so she does not need another one."

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry to be a pain in the ass, but I could not find a 693a. USCIS has a 693. Are they different? Which part do I fill out? Do I need all four copies? Same with the G325A - all four copies? Also, is there a place where I can find the fillable forms. Most of the PDF form on USCIS are not fillable.

Look in the upper right hand corner for a link to the I-693 vaccination supplement. The civil surgeon will have these

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

Sorry to be a pain in the ass, but I could not find a 693a. USCIS has a 693. Are they different? Which part do I fill out? Do I need all four copies? Same with the G325A - all four copies? Also, is there a place where I can find the fillable forms. Most of the PDF form on USCIS are not fillable.

Look in the upper right hand corner for a link to the I-693 vaccination supplement. The civil surgeon will have these

Thanks, Randy

I have one of these and have an appointment with a civil surgeon next week. I was only commenting on the fact that my friend did not complete one of these and, will no doubt, get an RFE. And the instructions are misleading.

Update on my last post. It turned out to be the old "bait and switch" deal at the "so-called" civil surgeon's office. They assured me over the phone that the doctor would sign the supplement form. Then when we got over there and waited about two hours, they insisted on giving my wife a full physical examination. I said, "no, no, no, that is not what we are here for." Then the nurse said that the doctor would not sign anything without giving the exam. We stormed out of there and I didn't pay them a cent. Now I'll probably get a bill in the mail. Tomorrow I will call the doctor Jim told me about. To be continued . . . :)

Edited by RLS (see edit history)

this post is about the CS...

You don't need any form. They have the form. Make an appointment and go. Get the form back in a sealed envelope. File with this.

David, all I can say is that I have talked to 3 different civil surgeon offices. The one I just posted about said they would sign, but insisted on doing a full physical exam. The other two said they would not sign anything without an exam. I explained to them that I was filing for AOS, but they still insist. I'll try Jim's doctor tomorrow.

Any civil surgeon can sign off on it. start an outward spiraling search until you find one that will sign off for a reasonable fee. Even if you have to drive 100 miles it will be cheaper than the whole exam.

There are some "Sleazy" business operations going on in the U.S. including check cashing stores, loan sharks, some privately owned vocational schools, etc., and now I would add civil surgeons to that list. It is one of the biggest scams I've ever witnessed. Many of them will take "cash only" -- now what does that tell you? :victory:

This one does it mail-order and comes up often on VJ as willing to do the supplement by mail for $10.

Dr. L.E. Arnold

4534 Westgate Blvd., #106

Austin, Texas 78745

Tel: (512)444-3131

The CS here was very compliant when I showed them proof that the medical was not required. No questions asked. We waited 30 minutes and everything was done without a glitch and the I-693 Supplement was sealed in an envelope for $75.

Good luck Ron. Hope you meet the deadline before fees go up.

I hate to tell you what I have to pay. I've now surpassed David on calls. I called about 12 and got the same reply from all of them. They insist on a blood test and TB test. All are over $130. :D :P

• 1 month later...