how much time b/w notification and k1 interview?

As a poor (not just money-wise) doctoral student, I have neither the monetary nor temporal resource to visit my fiance often. As YuAndDan suggested to me, it will be helpful if I accompany my fiance during her interview.

while it is still too early to think about the interview, I couldn't help wondering about the time we will have between receiving a notification for an interview and the actual interview date. I need to plan trip ahead of the time. thanks.

-- Major Ursa

We had about 1 month from P3 to P4, and 1.5 month P4 to interview. Also it is about 3 months from USCIS approval (NOA2) to P3. For us it was 8 months from I-129F submission to interview. Can be a bit longer if case goes through California, ours went through Vermont.

SEE: my time line below.

or: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=24665

As a poor (not just money-wise) doctoral student, I have neither the monetary nor temporal resource to visit my fiance often. As YuAndDan suggested to me, it will be helpful if I accompany my fiance during her interview.

while it is still too early to think about the interview, I couldn't help wondering about the time we will have between receiving a notification for an interview and the actual interview date. I need to plan trip ahead of the time. thanks.

-- Major Ursa

Wait till you get NOA2 from the I130/I129f you sent in. I'ts such an unbelievable long time to wait, you will want to kill off as much time as possible while you two are still positive. Maybe even wait till Christmas break to go...weather in the summer sucks there anyways.

From your replies, I gather that it will be hard to find out when she is scheduled for an interview? I am still not very familiar with the NOAs, PACKETs and whatnot, so maybe you already gave the answer but I was too confused to understand it.

A while ago, most likely from VJ.com, I read that my fiance will receive something from the embassy telling her on what date she will go for interview. So I was just asking how much time there is from when she receives the information to the actual interview? A month? 2 months or more?

thanks

-- Major Ursa

From your replies, I gather that it will be hard to find out when she is scheduled for an interview? I am still not very familiar with the NOAs, PACKETs and whatnot, so maybe you already gave the answer but I was too confused to understand it.

A while ago, most likely from VJ.com, I read that my fiance will receive something from the embassy telling her on what date she will go for interview. So I was just asking how much time there is from when she receives the information to the actual interview? A month? 2 months or more?

thanks

-- Major Ursa

When my Yu sent packet 3 forms back, I waited 1 month and then began calling DOS, I knew the interview date before Yu received Packet 4. it was around 5 weeks for us.

5 weeks... hmm... a little tight for getting a visa to china and getting an ticket (if there is one available)

but thanks everyone for giving me an idea.

thanks

-- Major Ursa

When my Yu sent packet 3 forms back, I waited 1 month and then began calling DOS, I knew the interview date before Yu received Packet 4. it was around 5 weeks for us.

we got 1 months notice....

You never know how long it will take from return of the P-3 until the interview date is set. All you can do is look at averages or another member's timeline who is close to you with the same visa type.

The time between getting the date assigned and the interview date can be anywhere between 2 weeks and 2 months. Some are longer.

Every case is unique and follows its own timeline. Trying to guess is an exercise in futility. May as well resort to a wegie board or just toss darts at a calendar. The result would be just as valid as anyone's guess.

. . . but also be aware that they don't necessarily assign dates in order. When we had our interview, they would start at the end of the month and work forward. The last people assigned one month would have as little as 2 weeks notice, while the first people assigned would get dates at the end of the month - as much as 2 months away.

Edited by Randy W (see edit history)

5 weeks... hmm... a little tight for getting a visa to china and getting an ticket (if there is one available)

but thanks everyone for giving me an idea.

thanks

-- Major Ursa

You can get the Chinese visa in about 5 business days with any of the many passport/visa services......where you live determines which Chinese consulate you need to use....there are lots of passport service companies that do this for you...I got my 1-year multi-entry Chinese visa in 5 days via express mail.

As for airline tickets, you can book 3 weeks in advance to get the best price...if you have the normal 4 weeks from P4 to interview time, that's plenty of time to book the airline ticket(s)....you can get your SO's one-way ticket in China cheaper after you have the visa IN HAND....the most you will have to worry about is a change fee on your return ticket if needed, so you will both be on the same flight to the US. Use a Chinese travel agency here in the US to book for the best deal.

Shoot, this is all the easy part....the hard part is just getting the darn visa, and the waiting....the daggone waiting....and waiting.....grmmpffff....

Steve