Been a while...news and info :)

It's been quite a while since I posted here but I thought I'd update folks. :)

First off, I just got back from my 4th trip to Cambodia to see my fiance and I took my son with me this trip. We had an incredible time and if you're really, really bored you can read about it here:

4th Trip To Cambodia

(There's actually a story about my 3rd trip before that one if you wanna read it too.)

We finally filed our paperwork on about May 15th or so. My original attorney became too bizarre to work with and we parted ways. It's a long and very strange story, but I'm using a much more experienced one now and things are finally moving ahead at a faster pace.

My only comment regarding my previous attorney is that it is my personal OPINION that no one should ever retain the the law firm of Ellis, Li, and McKinstry based in Seattle WA to handle their immigration case. I'm extremely disappointed with their performance and if anyone is interested I can recommend a much more capable attorney in Seattle. PM me if you're interested in his contact info.

After filing we got notification that our paperwork was 1) received and then 2) transferred to the California Center for processing. They claim 60 to 180 days to complete the processing, so we'll see...

Edited by RunningWithScissors (see edit history)
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great photos. Your son looks like he had a good time as well. Four trips in 8 months should make the interview process a piece of cake if your documentation is in order. Sorry to hear about the other attorney. High end attorneys are not always the best. I have had both high end and low end and the low end seem to fight harder and know the ins and outs or the system. The one I currently use is also the states court appointed death row appeals attorney. Cheap suits, cheap car, smokes like a chimney and smart as a whip. Good luck with the process. When is the next trip to Cambodia? I may need you to pick up an MP3 player for me, although I have no idea how to get MP3s or what to do with them once I have them. :roller:

It's been quite a while since I posted here but I thought I'd update folks. :roller:

First off, I just got back from my 4th trip to Cambodia to see my fiance and I took my son with me this trip. We had an incredible time and if you're really, really bored you can read about it here:

4th Trip To Cambodia

(There's actually a story about my 3rd trip before that one if you wanna read it too.)

We finally filed our paperwork on about May 15th or so. My original attorney became too bizarre to work with and we parted ways. It's a long and very strange story, but I'm using a much more experienced one now and things are finally moving ahead at a faster pace.

My only comment regarding my previous attorney is that it is my personal OPINION that no one should ever retain the the law firm of Ellis, Li, and McKinstry based in Seattle WA to handle their immigration case. I'm extremely disappointed with their performance and if anyone is interested I can recommend a much more capable attorney in Seattle. PM me if you're interested in his contact info.

After filing we got notification that our paperwork was 1) received and then 2) transferred to the California Center for processing. They claim 60 to 180 days to complete the processing, so we'll see...

No one should solicite the services of an attorney to file the visa petition. It's a waste of money and delays the process even further. If any USC is aware of CFL and Visa Journey, there is a wealth of resources and good people to get the petitoner through this process without difficulty.

It's been quite a while since I posted here but I thought I'd update folks. :roller:

4th Trip To Cambodia

No one should solicite the services of an attorney to file the visa petition. It's a waste of money and delays the process even further. If any USC is aware of CFL and Visa Journey, there is a wealth of resources and good people to get the petitoner through this process without difficulty.

My atty was worth the price just to have someone review everything before it was submitted. He did far more than than. He saved me tons of time and stress and, being Chinese, he was able to answer all of Ling's questions without any of us worry about what might have been lost in the translation. It was a tremendous relief for Ling to be able to email him directly and get the info she needed.

Check our timeline. It seems to have gone as well as most and better than many. Was he necessary? Of course not but neither are most of the other "necessities" we all spend money on every day.

Guest Mike and Lily

Both of you have a point. The bottom line is that you may want to get an attorney if the money isn't as important as the time and effort you must put in to learn the process well enough to ensure a strong likelyhood of success in the interview and beyond.

No one should solicite the services of an attorney to file the visa petition. It's a waste of money and delays the process even further.

I have to disagree, even in light of what happened. An attorney can be worth their weight in gold (or lead, unfortunately). I think having an attorney involved helps legitimize the process from the viewpoint of the consulate officers, and the attorney can make sure that everything is being done correctly (if they know what they're doing).

The one I'm working with now has over 30,000 immigration cases under his belt and the vast majority went through without a hitch. He definitely knows what he's doing and I feel better having him involved. He's going to fly over with me for the interview and be on hand should anything go wrong. That in itself is a huge load off my mind.

Yes, sometimes you get a clunker, but more often than not I think they're worth it if you can afford to spend the money and you get a decent one. Like they say, "Your mileage may vary", lol.

Fly over with you for the interview? wow He must be charging some serious money, in the thousands?

No, he charges a flat rate (under 2K) for his immigration cases. As far as the flight over there, I'll gladly get him a ticket for his trouble since I wouldn't expect him to cover that cost.

No, the people that charged me thousands upon thousands and still didn't file a single sheet of paper for me are the law firm of Ellis, Li, & McKinstry in Seattle WA. I would personally not recommend their services as there's plenty of competent representation out there to be had for far less than what they charged me.

Fly over with you for the interview? wow He must be charging some serious money, in the thousands?

No, he charges a flat rate (under 2K) for his immigration cases. As far as the flight over there, I'll gladly get him a ticket for his trouble since I wouldn't expect him to cover that cost.

No, the people that charged me thousands upon thousands and still didn't file a single sheet of paper for me are the law firm of Ellis, Li, & McKinstry in Seattle WA. I would personally not recommend their services as there's plenty of competent representation out there to be had for far less than what they charged me.

I'd be suing ELM for malpractice.

I have looked at your time-line and I have analyzed your words. Most members here, cannot afford to take multiple trips, every two months, to see our loved ones. Nor can most of us afford to spend ¡°thousands upon thousands¡± on legal fees¡­..with no documents being filed. Nor do ANY of us have an attorney to fly over with us for our SO¡¯s interview; in case there is a problem. You are such a fortunate man, indeed. In fact, the writing style reminds me of another ¡®member¡¯ (with great financial resources) who posted here briefly with a flurry of activity on or about March 10/11th of this year. :lol:

Last my friend, I would caution you on so strongly worded criticism of a law firm, be it in Seattle, WA or anywhere. In legal parlance, the term is LIBEL, for defamatory written statements.

My long life experience has taught me, there are always two sides, to every story. ;)

I think having an attorney involved helps legitimize the process from the viewpoint of the consulate officers.

The only legitimacy in the eyes of the VO's is whether there is a bonafide relationship or fraud involved. It is irrelevent in their POV that you solicited the services of an attorney to improve chances of a pink slip. In any event, I wish you luck.

Edited by yimi386 (see edit history)

I have looked at your time-line and I have analyzed your words. Most members here, cannot afford to take multiple trips, every two months, to see our loved ones. Nor can most of us afford to spend ¡°thousands upon thousands¡± on legal fees¡­..with no documents being filed. Nor do ANY of us have an attorney to fly over with us for our SO¡¯s interview; in case there is a problem. You are such a fortunate man, indeed.

I've worked hard for decades and saved every penny I can. So, yes, I'm fortunate in that I have this money to spend right now. I'm fortunate in that I have simple tastes and that I haven't dug myself into debt. I've worked my butt off and have something to show for it. I'm not going to be made to feel ashamed of it. Simply put, this is what I choose to spend my money on at this time.

In fact, the writing style reminds me of another ¡®member¡¯ (with great financial resources) who posted here briefly with a flurry of activity on or about March 10/11th of this year. :lol:
I'm not sure what to make of this, but "RunningWithScissors" is the only name I've ever used here. I found out about this forum from Rakkasan, who has known me for years and years.

Last my friend, I would caution you on so strongly worded criticism of a law firm, be it in Seattle, WA or anywhere. In legal parlance, the term is LIBEL, for defamatory written statements.
If I had accused ELM of anything illegal or made claims of malpractice they could sue me. All I've done is state some simple facts:

They billed me for a lot of money and never filed a single piece of paper for me. (TRUE).

I also stated that there is other competent representation available at a lower cost in this area. (TRUE).

Neither of these statements is actionable nor cause for a libel suit.

I also stated that it was my OPINION that no one should retain them and that I was disappointed in them. That's my opinion and I'm entitled to state it. My opinion is also not actionable. The fact is you're allowed to make your feelings known as long as you don't make untrue statements, and I've made no false or libelous statements.

My long life experience has taught me, there are always two sides, to every story. :greenblob:
Certainly true, but I stand by what I've said. Rak has known me for years; please feel free to ask him what he thinks of me.

Again, you are quite atypical of the clear majority of members here, including myself, who work so hard to make this all happen and have our loved one at our side and in our life as soon as possible. Many of us have worked our butts off too; but sometimes a divorce, along the way, can cause all the wealth of that labor to evaporate, almost overnight.

I am sure that all of us here are very happy for you. Moreover, I am sure that with your American attorney at your side in Asia, you will most certainly prevail in your endeavor.

Yes, as I said before, you are a fortunate man.

Best wishes !!! :cheering:

Again, you are quite atypical of the clear majority of members here, including myself, who work so hard to make this all happen and have our loved one at our side and in our life as soon as possible.

Believe me, I want my fiance here as quick as possible, and I wouldn't have waited so long to file except for the advice of my first attorney. I see her reasoning, but I'm not sure it was really necessary to wait so long before filing. In any case, the time has passed and we've filed. What's done is done, all I can do is move forward. If I'm atypical, so be it. It wouldn't be the first time that's been said about me, lol. :unsure:

Many of us have worked our butts off too; but sometimes a divorce, along the way, can cause all the wealth of that labor to evaporate, almost overnight.
I was divorced too, as Rak can tell you. Like you, I had virtually all of my savings, property, and wealth go up in smoke too. My divorce cleaned me out, basically. I was left with all my ex's debts, plus all my divorce bills too. I did get custody of my son, but I've gotten virtually nothing in the way of child support for the last ten years. I lost my entire 401K fund to my ex as well. I've raised (and paid for) my son the entire time, all the while fighting off my ex's incredibly hateful agenda and continuous attempts at interference in every aspect of my life. No offense, but I'll bet I went through a much uglier and more contentious divorce than you did, or that you could imagine. The fact is that I'm STILL going through it, ten years later! My ex is a classic psychopath with a vindictive streak a mile wide. Again, Rakkasan can verify that I'm telling it like it is. He knows all about me and my divorce history.

(As for my son, today is his last day of 7th grade. :blink: He's graduating with almost straight "A"'s and made Honors this year, so I think I've done a fair job of raising him so far.)

I am sure that all of us here are very happy for you. Moreover, I am sure that with your American attorney at your side in Asia, you will most certainly prevail in your endeavor.
I certainly hope so. I'm doing everything possible to ensure that things go smoothly. I came here because I was told this was the best place on the web to get information and assistance, and I appreciate your input.

Yes, as I said before, you are a fortunate man.

Best wishes !!! ;)

I believe I am fortunate, and I try like hell not to take it for granted. I do find that the harder I work, the more fortunate I am. ;)

Thank you for your best wishes Roger, I'll let you know how it goes.

Edited by RunningWithScissors (see edit history)