Don't eat cat dish when you are in GZ or Hong Kong

Again I say this is a great economic opportunity just waiting to be exploited. Alabama has got plenty of wild animals, in fact the entire United States eastern section is burdened with a huge excess of whitetail deer which the Chinese would love. We have too many rattlesnakes, opossums, raccoons, and so on. The Guangdong people would probably enjoy our city pigeons!!! What about the areas that are full of too many rabbits? I hesitate to even mention all the stray dogs euthanized and incinerated every year. This is a big old stupid world with its resource allocations wrong in so many ways.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You have a good point Robert. I know Alabama is full of possums, squirrels, racoons and the like. I remember that my grandfather, who lived most of his life in north Alabama, used to hunt and eat all these various critters. Maybe we could collaborate on opening a new chain of fast food outlets. Call it "Alabama Fried Possum" or, for short, "AFP". If KFC can do this, why can't we? :D

Sweet and Sour Squirrel. Kung Pao Possum. The possibilities are limitless. B) B)

You have a good point Robert. I know Alabama is full of possums, squirrels, racoons and the like. I remember that my grandfather, who lived most of his life in north Alabama, used to hunt and eat all these various critters. Maybe we could collaborate on opening a new chain of fast food outlets. Call it "Alabama Fried Possum" or, for short, "AFP". If KFC can do this, why can't we? B)

The wild life department always warn people that wild animals may have rabies and people should stay away from them (don't give them any food).

Aloha from Hawaii.

How about a Japanese specialty item. Fugu or ballon fish. I think it's only

known predator is the Japanese. For a very good reason. It is toxic and

quick acting. Special training is required to clean and prepare this fish.

The first and only sign of fugu poisoning is the victim just drops dead.

This should be right up Eric's alley. He can do the collection of the slow

swimming fish.

Myles aka Annakuen'GG

You have a good point Robert. I know Alabama is full of possums, squirrels, racoons and the like. I remember that my grandfather, who lived most of his life in north Alabama, used to hunt and eat all these various critters. Maybe we could collaborate on opening a new chain of fast food outlets. Call it "Alabama Fried Possum" or, for short, "AFP". If KFC can do this, why can't we? :D

Sweet and Sour Squirrel. Kung Pao Possum. The possibilities are limitless. :angry:  :rolleyes:

My wife commented on my being less picky about what kind of meat that was that I was eating than most laowei are and I explained that where I grew up in the mountains that I had eaten all of the things you list, Mick (plus groundhog). After a long session including using the internet to explain what those were, she and our daughter were appalled that I would eat squirrel and that I liked it. Same as a rat! Sweet and sour squirrel sounds pretty good to me!

Sweet and Sour Squirrel. Kung Pao Possum. The possibilities are limitless. :D  :rolleyes:

My wife commented on my being less picky about what kind of meat that was that I was eating than most laowei are and I explained that where I grew up in the mountains that I had eaten all of the things you list, Mick (plus groundhog). After a long session including using the internet to explain what those were, she and our daughter were appalled that I would eat squirrel and that I liked it. Same as a rat! Sweet and sour squirrel sounds pretty good to me!

Owen, if Robert S. and I open our chain of AFP outlets, I will make sure you get plenty of coupons. :D :P :angry:

Hey now I got to have some Kung Pao Possum!!! And sweet and sour squirrel sounds too good to miss!!! I am surprised that Owen's wife was shocked at the idea of eating a squirrel, in fact, Ping-ping was surprised that there are so many squirrels running around free here in Anniston and "people no catch these ones." Yes, squirrels are rodents, but so are rabbits and no one ever hesitated to eat a tasty rabbit, did they? Squirrels eat clean food so their meat is okay. But the super-abundance of deer is a real problem that needs something done about it. People actually get killed in wrecks caused by deer, the deer do a lot of crop damage, and it is not good for the deer themselves to be overpopulated like they are. No doubt the Chinese would greatly enjoy this meat. Of course there would be government regulations that would make it impossible to harvest them like they should be. But the regulations should be changed. When I was a truck driver I went through Pennsylvania a lot and there would be so many road kill deer it was distressing to think about the road safety hazards they caused. The best hope for China's few remaining wild animals would be to replace the demand for them with an alternative supply of other wild meat. Certain areas in the Southern states even have a critical oversupply of wild pigs, which I am told is the best-tasting meat of all.

Who wants to eat a sweet little reindeer? If you might notice this report was from the BBC and dated two years ago, it was confined to Colorado, and nothing has been heard of it since. I guarantee you that Alabama whitetails do not have this disease and if you want to be really careful then just don't eat the brains. Good grief, who would eat deer brains anyway? I would be afraid of developing a desire to go stand in the road at night and stare at oncoming headlights. On the other hand, eating that fine hindquarters makes you run faster and jump higher.

Stopping wild animal consumption

(May 26,2003 )(China Daily)

The latest study linking wild animals such as civet cats to the coronavirus that causes SARS has forced governments to take stricter measures to stop their trade and consumption.

The research, released on Friday and Saturday, has produced wide repercussions throughout the country, especially in South China's Guangdong Province.

Local government and non-governmental groups are now attempting to halt the practice of eating wild animals.

Some experts in Guangdong have urged the government to ban the sales of wildlife and strongly enforce the move.

According to regulations in Guangdong, people who knowingly eat dishes that contain animals on the State protection list will be fined 10,000 yuan (US$1,205) -- three times the average monthly salary of locals.

The legislation body in Shenzhen city is drafting a regulation to forbid the hunting, processing, purchasing, slaughtering and consumption of wildlife. The first version is expected to come out soon.

In Beijing, wildlife protection departments have launched a thorough inspection into the trade of wild animals in the city, including civet cats.

Experts with the Ministry of Agriculture found that the genetic order of the SARS virus was identical to the genetic order of the coronavirus that can be found in animals like bats, monkeys, civet cats and snakes.

The animal coronavirus investigation team has collected 1,700 animal samples from 59 species, including various kinds of domestic livestock, wildlife, aquatic animals and pets, all of which possibly come into contact with humans.

But how the SARS or SARS-like coronavirus jumped from wildlife to the human race and caused the outbreak of the disease is still being studied.

Researchers in Hong Kong also announced on Friday that they have charted a complete genetic map of the SARS-like coronavirus detected in the Himalayan palm civet, which shares 99.8 per cent of the genetic code of the SARS coronavirus.

The scientific research also ruled out pets and other domestic livestock as the source of the disease as the two have a different coronavirus genome.

Experts have called for dogs, cats and other family pets to be treated humanely as some have been abandoned due fears they might have been responsible for spreading the flu-like virus.

According to Doctor Tian Kegong from the veterinarian diagnosis centre at the Ministry of Agriculture, no animals in China have died from SARS.

"We are still looking into the issue, but there has been no evidence so far to show any possible SARS transmission through domesticated dogs and cats,'' he added.

Wang Zhihua, from a Beijing-based animal hospital, said: "Stricter precautionary measures are understandable and necessary, especially during the crucial time of SARS prevention.''

Just wondering, where has Lao Mao (or in Chinese, the Old Cat) been hiding since he started this thread? Afraid of being....? :rolleyes:  :D

I am afraid that Old Cat might be some really tough, stringy meat!!!

It is such a shame the way the Chinese believe that there is some kind of "herbal" effect from eating rare exotic animals. The tiger and the rhinoceros have been driven to near extinction by folklore. The article Tony posted mentioned they even eat owls and eagles. Let them eat improperly prepared fugu fish! I would guess there is some corrupt Chinese billionaire who takes pleasure in eating panda meat.