AOS Morons......

So today Ling received a pink letter from the Department of Homeland Security titled: Request for Initial Evidence (I-485)

The letter says they cannot process her application until they receive W-2's and my Federal Income Tax Return. I assume they mean the current Federal Income Tax Return--you know the same one I already freakin' sent along with my 2005, 2004 & 2003 returns!

I made another set of copies; included a copy of the original cover letter that also listed the same returns; added a copy of the pink letter Ling received today; attached all to a new cover letter explaining everything and listing everything attached.

I also pointed out that my income (as documented by the I.R.S.) was many multiples of the minimum requirement to sponsor and immigration and that if they had any other questions to please call me at xxx-xxx-xxxx.

I'll mail it all first thing in the morning and not hold my breath for a speedy or coherent reply............. :)

Wow, I found someone who had the same experience on I-485. I got the same pink slip 12 days ago, asking for the recent year tax return. As a matter of fact, my husband had sent the extension form and w-2s of 2006 (Since he was working in China last two years and KPMG who is doing his tax returns said they need to do the extension form), tax return for 2005 and 2004, in the I-485 package. Really totally confused what they want. When we called the customer service number, they said, oh, just send the info as the letter required. So, last Wednesday we sent out the 2006 tax returns we got recently and I had their receiving update online when I was checking the status of I-485 few minutes ago.

However, what is really unfair is I got a penalty for lack of initial evidence for 90 days on my I-765. So, longer waiting for sure. It's just kinda of boring here without friends and just sitting at home waiting and being a house wife. So I keep doing housework to keep skinny. LOL.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We now have an infopass appointment for August 22nd to try and learn just what the two delays have done to our overall process and timeline.

Hi Ling-Curt,

Did you try to use the third reason to schedule an infopass appointment? I also want to figure out how can I get my EAD quicker.

Last time I went to Portland local immigration office, they told me to send I-485 package. I hope I can get some advice from them if I can get a chance this time. BTW, what is I-98? Does that allow you to present yourself for your case and talk to USCIS directly?

We now have an infopass appointment for August 22nd to try and learn just what the two delays have done to our overall process and timeline.

Hi Ling-Curt,

Did you try to use the third reason to schedule an infopass appointment? I also want to figure out how can I get my EAD quicker.

Last time I went to Portland local immigration office, they told me to send I-485 package. I hope I can get some advice from them if I can get a chance this time. BTW, what is I-98? Does that allow you to present yourself for your case and talk to USCIS directly?

I used the second option: question about an application that is already in process.

G-28 is the form to allow the USC to talk directly with USCIS.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, this morning we had our infopass interview. To make a long story short we were informed that yes indeed, the two previous issues (RFE for information already provided and mistaken change of address) have caused our official "application received" date for Ling's I-485 to now have been posted as August 15 rather than the May 9th date they officially "received" our paperwork.

As for the I-765, she said that someone had made an error in the computer and tied the I-765 (EAD temporary work permit) processing to our I-485. According to our interviewer, this means that unless we had come in, the I-765 would not have been processed or completed until our I-485 AOS was completed! WTF???

Yes, folks, another random and total f-up by the good people at NBC. I asked her how often these kinds of completely off-the-wall screw-ups occur and she only replied, "they do."

Anyhow, she called NBC and supposedly got the I-765 mistake fixed and moved into "expedited service." She said we should be receiving the EAD "within a couple weeks." I will hope she's right but I'm not going to be holding my breath........

Edited by Ling-Curt (see edit history)