Another question for the united ones

I thought about making adhesive labels in English and Chinese for each of the products, possibly with abbreviated warnings for like Clorox Cleanup to let her know not to get it on clothing. Or instructions on what to use the product for.

Would the labels with warnings be considered helpful or taken as an insult as if I didn't think she was smart enough to figure this out on her own?

i think that would be a great idea, very thoughtful and showing the time you took in doing it.

i think SO would be thankful

If I were her, I would be thankful.

Only labling is not enough, it is better to demonstrate how to use them.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kinda have to side with David on this one. They are not babies and have enough sense to not need the Mr yuck symbol. I doubt seriously they would mix the bleach and ammonia together. Hell even I know better than that and I'm a dumb ass. They do smell completely different.

Actually precautions are not unnessary about mixing chemicals, because not many Chinese household use so many different kinds of chemical products.

Kinda have to side with David on this one. They are not babies and have enough sense to not need the Mr yuck symbol. I doubt seriously they would mix the bleach and ammonia together. Hell even I know better than that and I'm a dumb ass. They do smell completely different.

I see David and your point but having lived in China for two years, I remember distinctively how helpless I felt when purchasing any kind of cleaning product in China. It was so useful and helpful if they had any kind of English on the product. So it might not be a bad idea for Rak to print some Chinese on those products.

My wife was just browsing through some posts on another website and came upon this. She was just sharing it with me. I thought I'd share it with you guys. This is one person's method of learning English in China.

http://image.mop.com/bbspic/gx/2007/0522/30-1-71654-1-8-30-20070522094517_w650.jpg

While we may think our Chinese spouses/fiance(e)s are smart, I would certainly take the precautions to either shown and explain or label or use pictograms for household cleaning products, over the counter drugs and other products that may cause harm in my house. Why take the risks? These products can cause serious harm or death if not used according to directions or mixed improperly. That's why they have warning labels for us in English. Unless your spouse/fiance(e) has a good grasp of English and is familiar with the English names for hazardous products, why put them at risk. How many of us could go to a store in China, alone and pick out the products we want, know their Chinese names and potential hazards? I would not go into my fiancee's kitchen or bathroom and grab containers to start cleaning. I would not be offended if she labled the products so that I knew what they were and if there were hazards associated with them. Likewise, I would not go through her medicine cabinet in hopes that what I am taking for a headache is aspirin.

I think SMART is not putting them at risk.

As aye,

Jim

While we may think our Chinese spouses/fiance(e)s are smart, I would certainly take the precautions to either shown and explain or label or use pictograms for household cleaning products, over the counter drugs and other products that may cause harm in my house. Why take the risks? These products can cause serious harm or death if not used according to directions or mixed improperly. That's why they have warning labels for us in English. Unless your spouse/fiance(e) has a good grasp of English and is familiar with the English names for hazardous products, why put them at risk. How many of us could go to a store in China, alone and pick out the products we want, know their Chinese names and potential hazards? I would not go into my fiancee's kitchen or bathroom and grab containers to start cleaning. I would not be offended if she labled the products so that I knew what they were and if there were hazards associated with them. Likewise, I would not go through her medicine cabinet in hopes that what I am taking for a headache is aspirin.

I think SMART is not putting them at risk.

As aye,

Jim

And seriousely,I recommend a double action revolver 6 shooter rather than a semi automatic with clip.

Who knows what lao po does while I'm at work. :unsure:

She knows what "blach" is, ;) sometimes she uses too much.......

But, with all the windows open in the house, there is adequate ventilation. :o

Besides, she shows me all the little cuts, burns, and bruises she self inflicts. :blink:

I get to Doctor them up sometimes. :lol:

I show her my boo boos too..... :D

Now,

She has a pair of tube socks with the toes cut out for her arms when

cooks. Due to splattering grease when cooking lettuce. Quiet ingenious I would say.

All this and more were issues before in China.

For real, I thought about it before she arrived, the chemicals in the house. Most the cleaners we use have pictures on the back. Sink/bathtub/shower/toilet. Also many of the containers are similar to the ones in China also, dish soap for example.

Foil in the microwave, I wasn't prepared for. :ph34r:

My problem is I can't remember which washcloth is for wiping the counter, and which one for drying hands. I swear she changes them up on me to keep me confused. :)

Besides, she shows me all the little cuts, burns, and bruises she self inflicts. :Dah:

Now there is a good topic for a thread. Those little things are so important.

On the phone half way around the world, and she MUST tell you. I cut my finger.

Very small cut, but such a big deal in such a heavenly place and simple life.

the first day my mother in law was here she woke up real early and made breakfast for everyone.

scrambled eggs and bacon with some pickeled something or other she brought in her bag....

anyways i was so hungry i shoved a forkful of eggs in my mouth and was like B)

she had cooked the eggs with yellow dishsoap thinking it was oil :lol:

If I were her, I would be thankful.

Only labling is not enough, it is better to demonstrate how to use them.

But Joanne, if I demonstrate how to use them she will expect me to do the cleaning all of the time. :cheering:

If you don't clean off the chemical cleaner thoroughly, she will make sure you would not be allowed this task ever again. :cheering:

the first day my mother in law was here she woke up real early and made breakfast for everyone.

scrambled eggs and bacon with some pickeled something or other she brought in her bag....

anyways i was so hungry i shoved a forkful of eggs in my mouth and was like :whistling:

she had cooked the eggs with yellow dishsoap thinking it was oil <_<

http://i10.tinypic.com/2mw9mqs.gif

Although I have no idea when Zhen will arrive, I periodically think about what preparations I might need to make prior to her arrival. Zhen frequently talks about her cleaning house after she arrives. While cleaning today it occurred to me that Zhen most likely will not be able to read the labels on the various cleaners. Even though Zhen is working hard to learn English and she seems to read better than speak, her English skills are still very limited. I thought about making adhesive labels in English and Chinese for each of the products, possibly with abbreviated warnings for like Clorox Cleanup to let her know not to get it on clothing. Or instructions on what to use the product for.

How did you (those with fiances' /wives in country address this?

Would the labels with warnings be considered helpful or taken as an insult as if I didn't think she was smart enough to figure this out on her own?

P.S. As we wait for the interview notification I suspect other points may occur to me so be preapred for more odd questions. :rolleyes:

Yes,the first worry that comes to my mind is the Clorox.

Bleach IS used in China,and they know what it can do to your clothes,but maybe its not so commonly used in the Chinese home.I do believe most of the Chinese ladies have had experience with bleach though.

Im hoping she can get used to using an american style electric stove.

They use electric for cooking in China,but its not the same one we have in America.

American style dishwashing detergent is pretty nasty,and does not rinse off as easily as the Chinese stuff.

American style clothes washing detergent will burn the skin off of your hands if you use it to hand wash with.

There are American powder detergents,like Woolite,and I think "Snowy White" that can be used for hand washing clothes.

Make sure she does not put her hand in an American style clothes washing machine.The Asian machines are whimpy and slow,but the American machine can tear your hand off.

I would reduce the selection of cleaning products in your home to a couple of basics like Windex,409.Those two are enough to clean the whole house.

Ying adapted rather quickly to the electric range and oven. She says she likes it better than the ones in China because the heat is more consistant than the ones there. For the most part Ying does not like the dishwasher and would rather wash the dishes by hand using dishwashing liquid. She does not mind it whan I use the dishwaher but complains about the leftover water that collects in it.

On the use of household chemicals she knows what they are and how to use them. In the past I have not used bleach on my whites, but she wants me to get some becasuse the whites are starting to look dingy.

When she first got here, I usually did the laundry because she was usually busy doing something at the same time or she was at work. Recently she has begun to accompany me on the walk accross the parking lot with the baskets of dirty clothes, helps me separate the colors and whites and has begun to make decisions about whether we wash the clothes in hot, warm or cold water.

Give your woman the benefit of the doubt and rest assured that the cleaning methods and materials are the same worldwide and what is used here is also used there.

Poor people in Shenyang clean with water. When she arrived in the U.S. Ling knew about bar soap for washing hands and clothes, and liquid soap for dishes. Laundry & Dishwasher soap, glass and counter cleaners, bathroom disinfectants----not a clue.