Another question for the united ones

Although I have no idea when Zhen will arrive, I periodically think about what preparations I might need to make prior to her arrival. Zhen frequently talks about her cleaning house after she arrives. While cleaning today it occurred to me that Zhen most likely will not be able to read the labels on the various cleaners. Even though Zhen is working hard to learn English and she seems to read better than speak, her English skills are still very limited. I thought about making adhesive labels in English and Chinese for each of the products, possibly with abbreviated warnings for like Clorox Cleanup to let her know not to get it on clothing. Or instructions on what to use the product for.

How did you (those with fiances' /wives in country address this?

Would the labels with warnings be considered helpful or taken as an insult as if I didn't think she was smart enough to figure this out on her own?

P.S. As we wait for the interview notification I suspect other points may occur to me so be preapred for more odd questions. :coffee1:

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good Ideas.

Here is one, visit the local Barnes and Noble book store an pick up a copy of Oxford Picture Dictionary (English/Chinese) My Yu loves her's. It has pictures of most everything that may be encountered in day to day situations with description in English and Chinese.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearc...51898&itm=5

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/4860000/4867526.gif

Take her to a Chinese supermarket so she can buy everything she needs with Chinese labels.

I live in a town with 3 Chinese markets, all of them sell food only. Besides if only she can read the labels how will I know if I'm being poisoned. :coffee1:

Take her to a Chinese supermarket so she can buy everything she needs with Chinese labels.

I live in a town with 3 Chinese markets, all of them sell food only. Besides if only she can read the labels how will I know if I'm being poisoned. :coffee1:

Swallow, and say "XieXie, mitang"

Interesting thought.

I've read of other members who put stickies up on things like to door, room, light switch, etc. to help their SO get used to the English versions of things they were familiar with. You are the first that I recall to mention household supplies.

Good idea though so they don't end up mixing amonia with chlorene. Or, more humorous, put a high suds dishwashing liquid in the washing machine.

This occurred to me while using Clorox Cleanup to clean the grout on the kithen floor. Knowing what this product can do, I could imagine Zhen getting seriously upset with herself if she was using it and inadvertantly used a colored towel to wipe something or accidently wiped her hands on a pair of jeans after using this product. :coffee1:

Although I have no idea when Zhen will arrive, I periodically think about what preparations I might need to make prior to her arrival. Zhen frequently talks about her cleaning house after she arrives. While cleaning today it occurred to me that Zhen most likely will not be able to read the labels on the various cleaners. Even though Zhen is working hard to learn English and she seems to read better than speak, her English skills are still very limited. I thought about making adhesive labels in English and Chinese for each of the products, possibly with abbreviated warnings for like Clorox Cleanup to let her know not to get it on clothing. Or instructions on what to use the product for.

Would the labels with warnings be considered helpful or taken as an insult as if I didn't think she was smart enough to figure this out on her own?

P.S. As we wait for the interview notification I suspect other points may occur to me so be preapred for more odd questions. :dunno:

Just be natural, Rak. You're thinking too hard. It will all come together for you two as you two come to it. Does that make sense?...:coffee1:

Don't worry. You'll be doing more explaining to her about every day American way of living than writing things on a bottle. You'll see! :D

And don't forget to run your finger across the top of the cloths hanger bar.

And the shelves.

Get a sheet for her to cover her hanging cloths to keep the dust off.

I found any soap made her happy. One for the kitchen and one for the cloths. A lot of time it was just a bucket of water, a rag, and elbow grease. I have NEVER EVER had my windows so clean this way.

I thought about making adhesive labels in English and Chinese for each of the products, possibly with abbreviated warnings for like Clorox Cleanup to let her know not to get it on clothing. Or instructions on what to use the product for.

i think that would be a great idea, very thoughtful and showing the time you took in doing it.

i think SO would be thankful

Dan's recommendation about the Oxford pic dictionary is an excellent one and one I've made before. In the beginning, Lao Po found it very useful. Take the time to go out and find it Rak.

Yu was an English teacher back home, and when she got over here after a few weeks she told me that she wanted to find a book with pictures of the items in the kitchen, bath room, and bed room, so that she could put English names to them, that is how I looked for and found the book.

You can see it on amazon and view a few pages in the book.

http://www.amazon.com/Oxford-Picture-Dicti...3950618-4009454

P.S. As we wait for the interview notification I suspect other points may occur to me so be preapred for more odd questions. :huh:

Yes,the first worry that comes to my mind is the Clorox.

Bleach IS used in China,and they know what it can do to your clothes,but maybe its not so commonly used in the Chinese home.I do believe most of the Chinese ladies have had experience with bleach though.

Im hoping she can get used to using an american style electric stove.

They use electric for cooking in China,but its not the same one we have in America.

American style dishwashing detergent is pretty nasty,and does not rinse off as easily as the Chinese stuff.

American style clothes washing detergent will burn the skin off of your hands if you use it to hand wash with.

There are American powder detergents,like Woolite,and I think "Snowy White" that can be used for hand washing clothes.

Make sure she does not put her hand in an American style clothes washing machine.The Asian machines are whimpy and slow,but the American machine can tear your hand off.

I would reduce the selection of cleaning products in your home to a couple of basics like Windex,409.Those two are enough to clean the whole house.

I didn't address it. Well, at least not in the traditional way. I asked if she wanted labels. she said "No, if I want something I'll ask you for it." Now, it's almost two years and she's still asking. Doesn't bother her a bit, as in 'Lao gong, go get me the .........fill in the blank.'

Some other things are as, or more, dangerous. Electric power tools, (her dad, who makes furniture, did not have any) climbing up in the attic to watch me do something without me hearing her, only to find her sitting, comfortably, on the sheet rock for the ceiling, not the rafters. yikes!

Good Ideas.

Here is one, visit the local Barnes and Noble book store an pick up a copy of Oxford Picture Dictionary (English/Chinese) My Yu loves her's. It has pictures of most everything that may be encountered in day to day situations with description in English and Chinese.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearc...51898&itm=5

http://images.barnesandnoble.com/images/4860000/4867526.gif

I bought the book today. I was surprised that the B&N store in this town had about 15 copies. Thanks to the help.

DavidZixuan - Yes, this is a real topic. I am not intersted in keeping her out of the cabinets, only helping her learn English names for cleaning products with labels she may not be able to read or products she may not be accustomed to.

I am not sure where the telephone call comment came from but I use OneSuite for calling China so 3 or 4 cents per minute isn't an issue, besides Zhen is very frugal and has stated she would prefer to use Yahoo messenger and Webcam to talk to relatives because it is free.

Edited by Rakkasan (see edit history)