Chinese "sleeping time'.

I live with my fiance in China,and every day she has her "sleeping time" :P .

I dont sleep in the day.

During Chinese "sleeping time" I find the busses are empty,the roads are clear and its much easier to do my daily shopping,because they are all at home sleeping :P ,usually between the hours of 1:PM to 4:PM.

Just before sleeping time,the roads are jammed and the busses are packed with everybody rushing home from work and school to begin their sleeping time.

After your fiance arrived in America,did she continue her sleeping time ritual,or did she eventually "adjust" and give it up,or modify it to acommodate her new job responsibilities?

Did YOU start napping in the day :lol: ?

Personally,I find this sleeping time to be really a pain,because all activity stops,and it interrupts the momentum of the day.

If she doesn't have her sleeping time,then she whines "Im tired" for the rest of the day.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is common, my Wife used to teach at a private school in Yangshuo, the school hired an American to act as president, he did not understand nap time, but had to adjust to it.

Many countries have a period similar it is called siesta.

SEE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siesta

She is adjusting now, she just landed a job as a teacher's aid at the local public school, and just goes to bed a bit earlier.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

The story goes that some time back, the government wanted to get rid of this 'siesta' and have people get back to the business of work after eating, so they put out notice for this.

Because the noon nap was so engrained in the culture, it apparently caused havoc in many ways, distrupting people's schedule (physically and mentally) forced the government to lift that notice. In the end, it was noted that some did stick with the idea of no nap...

To this day, my wife often sleeps around noon.. and yes Dan, that means she does it at the school !

For the first five years of our relationship, we lived in China. Taking a nap from noon to 2:30 was written in stone and most of the city shut down, even the banks. While we lived there, I came to enjoy the mid-day snooze. Since coming to the States four years ago, our jobs keep us from napping. Still, on the weekends we sometimes take a nap. Then, again, if we take a nap together, we sometimes don't sleep. We tend to play and then.... :rolleyes: :o :huh: :D

Edited by Mick (see edit history)

Anyone who is in a new relationship should learn from this. I can't remember how many times I woke my former SO during her nap time. I didn't get it then. I get it now, but now it's too late. :rolleyes:

Just remember, quite often they'll be taking a nooner during their work day, when it's your evening time and you are free to talk.

Where in the heck or what cities did some of you guys live in or your wife come from? I have never seen or heard of this. Maybe some sleep at their desk from time to time. My wife had to be back working at 1PM. If I didn't call she ate fast then napped til 1.

I was exhausted in Bejing, Xi'an, Chengdu, Ashun, and points in between. I was lucky to get 5 hrs of sleep at night because of the work schedule.

Where in the heck or what cities did some of you guys live in or your wife come from? I have never seen or heard of this. Maybe some sleep at their desk from time to time. My wife had to be back working at 1PM. If I didn't call she ate fast then napped til 1.

I was exhausted in Bejing, Xi'an, Chengdu, Ashun, and points in between. I was lucky to get 5 hrs of sleep at night because of the work schedule.

Yup. I've been to many cities in China and hadn't encountered this either.

She was Controller/Director of a bank in Nanning. Her and her workers would eat and then sleep on cots between 12-1:30pm daily.

Guilin, and Guangzhou in Guangxi province.

We went to Bank of China in Guilin this past March, to get some RMB exchanged to $$ and had to wait until 2:30 for the full staff to come back on, just a handful working the regular windows.

And all the schools do go into siesta mode from 12-2:30, the school Yu worked at did, and she told me that this is quite normal.

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

So it's a deep-southeast thing then--probably like Mexico and Central America: too hot to do anything else. My visit to Guangzhou was my only SE experience. I've only been a little south of Shanghai, southcentral as far as Shangri-la, central to Jiuzhaigou, and northeast to Shenyang.

Edited by Ling-Curt (see edit history)