I just went full time at my new job, and during the probation period, they don't pay for benefits. There is the option of using COBRA, but they want over $700 a month for the two of us, and we are very low risk.

I'm now looking at buying my own health insurance for the next 2 months, but they all seem to have the eligibility limitation of being a U.S. citizen, being a foreign citizen that has lived in the U.S for over a year, or being a Green card holder. My wife is none of these right now.

How can I get health insurance then?

Thanks in advance, xiaobu

Based on your $700 a month price tag it sounds like us when we 1st started looking for insurance 7 years ago. I know a lot has to do where you live too! Based on your price tag I am sure you live in a major city or metro area.

This was a major dilemma for my wife and I when we first got married. I ended up getting major medical coverage and hoped that we wouldn¡¯t have any of the small stuff that would nickel and dime us to death. It still cost around $600 just for that! :)

Of course later, when we had our child, the insurance company wouldn¡¯t cover it unless it was an emergency situation, i.e. emergency/caesarean type operation. :D

After our child was born - 4 years later, my wife wanted to go to work ¨C so she could get good insurance ¨C You got to love these Chinese women, always looking for ways to save money. She ended up working for a major banking firm which allowed her to pay $350 a month for medical and dental insurance and co-pay is around $15 a visit. :P

If your wife is an illegal and living in Texas she would get free coverage ¨C go figure! :D

(Oh yea ¨C pre-requite is that she must speak Spanish)

One option you might try is check in the Yellow Pages under insurance. Many states have insurance programs available.Minnesota has what they call MN Comp and Mn Care.These programs are available when you cannot get insurance elsewhere.

But they also have some different rules.But many also have an 800 number to call for insurability.

Good Luck. Paul