Weird Chinese foods

I remember how stifling hot Southern China is during the summer. My wife's apartment was a sweatbox. Florida summers are humid and sticky, but summers in China are downright brutal (I swear I was the only one sweating). I remember motioning to my wife that I was thirsty, so she came back with a cup of steaming hot water; a short time later, mother-in-law brought me a bowl of spicy noodle soup. What was I to do but please my new family. Thank God for cold bottled water and climate-controlled domiciles here in the USA! But cold soup, yuck!

Some time back there was a discussion about cold drinks. Many countries people shun cold drinks and for good reason. They are a major cause or agravator of acid reflux.

Controlling Acid Reflux

"An important step to control acid reflux is eliminating the consumption of ice-cold liquid or desert before meals, with meals and within 2 hours after meals. Ice cream is the worst desert you can eat after meals for the reason that not only it is cold, but it also consists of abundance of protein, fat, and carbohydrate which would put a further burden on you digestive system with inadequate gastric acid and enzymes. Drink only warm liquids such as tea or soup/broth before or with a meal and avoid drinking excessive amounts of liquid with meals."

Sudden downing of iced drinks repeatedly can cause damage to the tissue of the esophagus even nerve damage. The chilling of the upper palate can be felt as a "brain freeze" literally.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I'm sure people have mentioned dog and horse, which are quite good and highly recommended, but I couldn't bring myself to eat the horse penis and balls that my SO was eating.

A bag of duck tongues is a nice treat there, sort of like pop corn here, hehe, but I thought it tasted nasty.

Spicy duck necks are very very popular snack in shanghai. The office girls order that a lot to kill time in the company.

Sounds good. I like duck. Turkey necks are good too. Ostrich necks are a good ox tail substitute. Actually necks of whatever are very tasty.

Anybody ever try a dish with bitter melon? I don't remember seeing it in restaurants but it is sometimes a home cooked dish. It is an "aquired taste". Ask your SO about it. It is hands down the worst concoction I have ever tasted, sort of like bell peppers marinated in paint thinner before cooking.

Anybody ever try a dish with bitter melon? I don't remember seeing it in restaurants but it is sometimes a home cooked dish. It is an "aquired taste". Ask your SO about it. It is hands down the worst concoction I have ever tasted, sort of like bell peppers marinated in paint thinner before cooking.

I've often had bitter melon. It is sold in the Asian markets here and many restaurants serve bitter melon soup.

In Chinese medicine it is used as a treatment for diabetes. Recently it is being used against AIDS. Good for the liver and aids women to get pregnant.

Guest knloregon

Hey ~!

Wrong location for bitter melon!! ----this one is suppost to be in the post on the foods we like!

When I stay in Guangzhou, I stay in a place close to the elevated freeway, but here is the thing: It is a very quiet neighborhood (all the freeway noise goes up), and along the road under the freeway, are many good cheap lunch places----one that I really like hollows out the bitter melon, then stuffs it with ground meat, and bakes it in a sause...

Outstanding! The deal is, you go up to the window, and for 5 rmb, you get to select 3 items---(rice, and excellent chicken broth are free)---when they serve the stuffed bitter melon, I usually take two servings, and on of another...

I've often had bitter melon. It is sold in the Asian markets here and many restaurants serve bitter melon soup.

In Chinese medicine it is used as a treatment for diabetes. Recently it is being used against AIDS. Good for the liver and aids women to get pregnant.

I never heard about bitter melon soup. I enjoy drink winter melon soup.

I never heard about bitter melon soup. I enjoy drink winter melon soup.

I was wondering the same thing. Are references made to "bitter melon" really references made to "winter melons" in this thread?

I enjoy winter melon soup very much as well.

I was wondering the same thing. Are references made to "bitter melon" really references made to "winter melons" in this thread?

Bitter melon and winter melon are different. A winter melon looks like a large honeydew and quite mild. Here is a description of a bitter melon:

http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/features/bitterm.html

Bitter melon and winter melon are different. A winter melon looks like a large honeydew and quite mild. Here is a description of a bitter melon:

http://www.thaifoodandtravel.com/features/bitterm.html

Yup that's the bitter melon and they mention all the properties I said above. Good article.

For the record the soup is medicinal and very bitter but is a great cleanser and immunity booster.

For flavor I like winter melon much more. I regard bitter melon strictly as a medicinal.

• 1 month later...

fried silk worm pupa(? first time used this word)

fried cicada pupa

almost tried fried scorpions... now I regret my cowardness

snake in soup (it tastes kind like fish with a lot of ribs...)

durian (i quite liked it. not as stinky as I thought)

stinky tofu cake