AOS Passed

We had our interview today.

The guy looked pretty mean/scary, but was quite nice.

As it turns out, my wife's English was good enough for the interview; moreover, the interviewer allowed me to translate for her and help her out a little...which doesn't fit with my understandings. However, I had already arranged for my friend (a govt employee who has done some professional translations) to come along. And I'm glad I did!

The interviewer pulled out her birth certificate, and it had the wrong birthdate! I had looked at it more than once and never caught it. Neither did my wife! The public security certificate and the "never married" certificate both had the correct date...but since I had brought my friend along, he was able to translate the document for us. It probably would have been okay without him there, because there was enough other documentation of her birthdate to make that one superfluous...but I'm still glad we didn't have to take that chance.

Everything else went fine. All in all, a pretty relaxed interview. It was pretty clear almost from the first that he was going to approve, because the first thing he did was tell us that we needed to come back to remove the conditions from the temp green card 90 days before two years from now.

Then he asked the expected legal questions about whether my wife had ever been a crack whore or was a mole sent to assassinate the President or set off a suitcase bomb in Honolulu.

Then he asked me about my previous marriages. He asked me why I married her after having failed marriages. He asked her why she married me. He asked us what we have in common...she answered: spicy food! I added: music. He asked how we met...he would have accepted me answering, but I made her do it to practice her English! He asked if I had met her family (yes), if she had met mine (no), if the kids accepted her as a stepmom. He asked when we started dating, and when we started living together. This isn't in the order he asked it, I'm just typing it as I remember it.

Finally, he stamped and signed her passport, telling her it was her green card until the real one came in the mail, 2-4 weeks from now...but don't panic unless 6 weeks go by without getting it...

more soon...

Also, my wife was a little worried about bringing the originals, made sure I had extra copies of everything.

There's no problem with that, of course...but here's the thing: from what others have said, and from the wording of the letter, they are only going to take your stuff if they don't have it already. For most of the paperwork, if they didn't have it, they'd send a letter and not give you an interview until you sent it in.

But if you *don't* bring copies, and something happened to get misplaced out of your file, you will face a choice of either giving them the original or not passing the interview.

The only things they took from us were copies of all the "additional evidence of relationship", like a copy of our bank statement, the "powers of attorney" I had done for my wife for my canceled deployment, my will that named her as my beneficiary and executor, etc. They didn't even take a picture, interestingly...I guess the ones we sent earlier were good enough.

...and that's all I can think of.

Also, my wife was a little worried about bringing the originals, made sure I had extra copies of everything.

There's no problem with that, of course...but here's the thing: from what others have said, and from the wording of the letter, they are only going to take your stuff if they don't have it already. For most of the paperwork, if they didn't have it, they'd send a letter and not give you an interview until you sent it in.

But if you *don't* bring copies, and something happened to get misplaced out of your file, you will face a choice of either giving them the original or not passing the interview.

The only things they took from us were copies of all the "additional evidence of relationship", like a copy of our bank statement, the "powers of attorney" I had done for my wife for my canceled deployment, my will that named her as my beneficiary and executor, etc. They didn't even take a picture, interestingly...I guess the ones we sent earlier were good enough.

...and that's all I can think of.

Many Congratulations!

My AOS Interview is scheduled for tomorrow (March 16) and I am a nervous wreck - but it sounds like things actually CAN go smoothly!

Best wishes for your future-

Fred

:) :rolleyes: B) CONGRATULATIONS !! :D :) :)

Congratulations A Mafan to you and your SO!! This is such good news!! We're so glad you weren't re-deployed before your AOS date!!

Hope every day is better and better for you and your SO. I think you have a real keeper, she's beautiful and the two of you look like you belong together!! :)

Here's our wishes for you and your SO to have a happy future which only gets sweeter evry day!! :P

PapaBear B)