AOS Vaccination's

I went to a Civil Surgeon to get my wife and her son's vaccination information transferred to the I693A Vaccination Supplement form. He told us the following:

My wife needs a second Varicella shot (she got the first one in china during the medical exam)

Her son also needs a second Varicella shot. He also needs second and third Hapatitis B shots (also got the first in china). The third shot must be done about a month after the second.

He did not accept my insurance so I must get these from another doctor. When they are done I should bring back the information and he will transfer it all to the I693A for $60 each.

He did say that he could transfer with the shots done so far but it would likely get rejected during the AOS investigation and I will possibly get an RFE later. He did say I could send it in before my stepson's 3rd hepatitis shot, but the same would likely happen (will get an RFE later for this).

Does anyone have experience with this? Does this sound correct? Should I go ahead and get the shots or send in the I693A with whatever they got in china?

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mt guess is that his immigration advise is off base - that the USCIS will accept what the civil surgeon will sign.

On the other hand, you may wish to follow his medical advice, but keep in mind that it may delay your application if he won't sign it until the series is complete (you must have a civil surgeon's signature on the form).

Perhaps someone else will have specific knowledge about the shots in question.

If it is within the time frame to get the next in the series of shots you need to get them and bring him evidence of them for the paperwork.

As for getting an RFE for a shot that is needed in the future, he is full of crap. :lol:

Once you get done with the Civil Surgeon on this one you are probably home free and will never have to be bothered with them again. The paperwork is just the method of saying you are current with all shot requirements on the date it was signed.

We did, however go ahead and complete the remainder of the shots and had the doctor docuement each one in the Yellow Book, just in case it ever is needed.

My wife got her shots in GZ when she got her visa. Although by the time of the AOS interview she was due for some boosters we didn't have them done. Didn't have any problems. If her vacinations are less than a year old and are what is required for AOS then all you need is for the civil surgeon to sign off on what you have. These guys are nortorious for dis-information and conning you into something you don't need.

I also have questions about vaccination.

I came on K-1 and submitted AOS after being married. I thought the vaccination form is only needed at the AOS green card interview. But, I received a letter from the California Service Center asking for it before May 7. I already made an appointment with a civil surgen on Monday morning, March 5. I have an old yellow book of immunization when I came to the States in 1999. I had Hepatitis B shots finished in China. I don't know how long will the rest vaccine shots take. And, if I couldn't finish all the shots before May 7, at what stage I should/could submit the vaccine form to the Service Center?

Technically they shouldn't be needed before interview but conventional wisdom says include it with your AOS. There have been some RFEs for them. Probably your old old yellow book won't be sufficient. They will likely want them less than a year old. I would get the vaccinations and send them the I-693 supplimental as soon as possible. You could very well get your green card without an interview.

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

Technically they shouldn't be needed before interview but conventional wisdom says include it with your AOS. There have been some RFEs for them. Probably your old old yellow book won't be sufficient. They will likely want them less than a year old. I would get the vaccinations and send them the I-693 supplimental as soon as possible. You could very well get your green card without an interview.

Hepatitis B can be prevented through vaccination - it only take three shots to protect yourself and loved ones for a lifetime against hepatitis B, which can lead to liver cancer later in life.

How long does hepatitis A vaccine protect you?

A recent review by an expert panel concluded that estimates of antibody persistence derived from kinetic models of antibody decline indicate that protective levels of anti-HAV could be present for at least 25 years in adults and at least 14-20 years in children.

Edited by lostinblue (see edit history)

Thanks so much for the information and encouragement here. I will see the surgen Monday morning and see if I can get the signed form then. Just wondering when the surgen would sign the form, after the first visit and shots, or after completing all the shots. I will post the follow-up here.

Thanks again for the help.

Thanks Carl.

I went to the Clinic today. By Friday I should have the signed form to mail out if all the test results come out fine. The forms (I think it would be more than the vaccination record, cause the physical exam and HIV etc tests were carried out anyway, although I said the immigration office has those results.) would be in a sealed envelop. And I will have the unsealed duplicate for my own files. One sealed envelop should be enough, right? I would be given three sealed envelop. My old yellow book was said to be helpful some way, though I don't know how.

If I know this vaccination could be a cause for the delay, I should have get it done in China with the medical exam. Would this be a correct suggestion to put on Chinese 001 forum?

I intentionally found a civil surgeon in a clinic that caters to Asian immigrants...for this very reason.

First I called a few civil surgeons closest to my home...who proceeded to tell me that my wife needed a complete physical. I explained that K-1's can use GUZ physical and only need the immunization supplement...after arguing with them for 15 minutes...the light bulb went off...don't go to the nearest civil surgeon...go to the one who also provides health services to immigrants.

• 2 weeks later...

I took my wife and her son to a different civil surgeon and was told they both needed shots in order for them to fill out the I693 supplement. The shots they specified were different than what the first civil surgeon said. I went ahead and paid them $334 for the shots (my wife for an MMR, or mumps, and her son for his second hep-b shot). They then filled out the form and I was able to complete the AOS and send it in. It cost me some money but now its done. However, the I693 supplement was not given to me in a sealed envelope. They just filled it out and gave it to me.

Thanks Carl.

I went to the Clinic today. By Friday I should have the signed form to mail out if all the test results come out fine. The forms (I think it would be more than the vaccination record, cause the physical exam and HIV etc tests were carried out anyway, although I said the immigration office has those results.) would be in a sealed envelop. And I will have the unsealed duplicate for my own files. One sealed envelop should be enough, right? I would be given three sealed envelop. My old yellow book was said to be helpful some way, though I don't know how.

If I know this vaccination could be a cause for the delay, I should have get it done in China with the medical exam. Would this be a correct suggestion to put on Chinese 001 forum?

It is common for civil surgeons to try and convince the intending immigrants that they need an entire new physical examination. Understandable a little because most of the people they see have been here in the US a while and actually need the exam. They just don't seem to be up to speed on K-1/K-3 visas. It would be a good idea to explain to our 001 sisters that unless the physical exam is more than a year old they don't need a new exam and it is cheaper to get the vaccinations in GZ. Often you need to contact more than one civil surgeon until you find one that is willing to sign off on the I-693 supplemental without another exam. and will review the yellow book if you got vaccinations in GZ and sign off on that for a small fee. Usually about $50.00

If the doctor gave you the I-693 supplimental today you don't need to wait for the results of the of the exam. You didn't need the second exam.

• 1 month later...

Thanks Carl.

It is common for civil surgeons to try and convince the intending immigrants that they need an entire new physical examination. Understandable a little because most of the people they see have been here in the US a while and actually need the exam. They just don't seem to be up to speed on K-1/K-3 visas. It would be a good idea to explain to our 001 sisters that unless the physical exam is more than a year old they don't need a new exam and it is cheaper to get the vaccinations in GZ. Often you need to contact more than one civil surgeon until you find one that is willing to sign off on the I-693 supplemental without another exam. and will review the yellow book if you got vaccinations in GZ and sign off on that for a small fee. Usually about $50.00

If the doctor gave you the I-693 supplimental today you don't need to wait for the results of the of the exam. You didn't need the second exam.

Simple solution to convince the doctor to just do the supplement is have the instructions for I-485 handy and point out on page 3 about K-1 not needing a physical.

I called and argued with 4 different C.S. who each wanted a $600 deposit and then????? Finally I found one who said $335 IF they have to do a full examination. We made an appointment. When we arrived they said, "That'll be $335 please." I argued they didn't need a whole exam. They countered that they would refund if the whole exam wasn't necessary but they needed to check her vaccinations first. Next they did the exam anyway, then gave her the vaccinations. We came back in two days and picked up a sealed envelope and an additional copy for us.

Since they have to do some paperwork and meet certain requirements to be a C.S., I am certain they all know full well what the law requires. But they know they are in a buyer's market so they can establish any requirements on top of the .gov regulations they damn well please.