American City With The Largest Chinese Population

Monterey Park, is in fact a new ¡®Chinatown¡® in Los Angeles County. In this regard, the following may be of interest to our members.

In years past, in America, ¡®Chinatown¡® was always very well defined in its boundaries within a city and always represented the enclave of the Chinese/Asian population; with the largest concentration of businesses and residences of that population therein.

Today, in California, and most notably Southern California/Los Angeles County, the demographic picture has transformed dramatically. Now, entire communities/cities have in essence, become the multiple new, or de facto ¡®Chinatowns¡®; relegating the very old, historic Chinatown in the city center of Los Angeles, as more of a historical/cultural, tourist center, with many Chinese businesses relocating to the new areas in the suburbs, outside of the Los Angeles Civic Center area.

Some facts: In the 1990 census, the L.A. suburban city of Monterey Park had the first Asian descent [majority] population in the entire continental United States. As of the most recent 2000 national census, Monterey Park is 42.32% Chinese, making it the most Chinese place in the entire United States. Today, it is most likely approaching the 50% mark. Many, I think, may have guessed San Francisco to be the city with the largest Chinese population ?? There are also very large Chinese populations in the nearby/contiguous cities of Alhambra, Arcadia, San Marino, South Pasadena, and Rowland Heights, to name a few.

Driving down a main business street in Monterey Park, with most of the signage in Chinese characters, provides one with the feel of a Southern Chinese city, less the humid air B) A walk through most of these businesses, will reveal that Cantonese Chinese is the most prominent language being spoken. Most of the ethnic travel agencies here, will be able to provide very competitive air fares to China.

In NYC, everyone knows about the Chinatown in Manhattan. This has become a tourist attraction and there are many non-Chinese walking the streets. However, there is another "Chinatown" that most non-New Yorkers are unaware of. In Flushing, Queens, you would feel you were in a Chinese city. All the stores and buildings have Chinese signage, there are the little stores with the ducks and pigs in the windows, and there are very few non-Americans.

I dont think it meets the #'s in Monterey, but it is a very interesting sight.

Actually, MP has over 62% Asians, according to 2000 census. We have our mtn property up for sale and will be purchasing our new home possibly in Mont. Park. My wife isn't too keen on living among and smack dab in the middle of all Chinese neighbors and community. However, there are some reasonable home and condo prices that look attractive to me. Whatever we do, it will be a decision that we are both happy with.

My thinking is purchasing a 4 bedroom/3 bath condo for ~$450K and renting two of the bedrooms out. I doubt if I'll go so far as putting 2 bunkbeds in both bedrooms and renting them out to 8 Chinese ladies, as my wife once suggested. But, then again.....hmmm :D

In NYC, everyone knows about the Chinatown in Manhattan. This has become a tourist attraction and there are many non-Chinese walking the streets. However, there is another "Chinatown" that most non-New Yorkers are unaware of. In Flushing, Queens, you would feel you were in a Chinese city. All the stores and buildings have Chinese signage, there are the little stores with the ducks and pigs in the windows, and there are very few non-Americans.

I dont think it meets the #'s in Monterey, but it is a very interesting sight.

I've never been to the one in Manhattan.. but have been to Flushing many times.. almost moved there.

Monterey Park, is in fact a new ‘Chinatown‘ in Los Angeles County. In this regard, the following may be of interest to our members.

In Northern CA (the Bay Area) there is the city of Cupertino which is like Monterey Park but with not as many Chinese and the lingua franca is not Cantonese but Mandarin. In the very recent past, the Mayor of Cupertino had been a Taiwanese American.

Others may know Cupertino city as the corporate headquarters of Apple Computers, Inc. (Now known only as Apple, Inc.) Think Mac and iPods! :D

Housing prices in Cupertino is norterously expensive. For the same setup as Dennis mentioned (4 bedroom/3 bath condo), the price would be $900K at least, if not significantly more. $900k-1200K!!

Many ATMs located in Cupertino will offer Chinese, along with Spanish and English, as a language to use to conduct transactions.

Edited by SirLancelot (see edit history)

A walk through most of these businesses, will reveal that Cantonese Chinese is the most prominent language being spoken.

Actually, this is not true. Old China Town was originally inhabited by persons from HK who spoke Cantonese. The newly arrivals are from Mainland China who have populated the burbs, such as Mont.Park, speak Mandarin. There have been write-ups in the LA Times how Cantonese has lost it's edge to Mandarin and that many US Cantonese speakers are now trying to learn Mandarin. There are even Cantonese clubs to help ensure the language doesn't die.

Sidenote: My wife works in the very heart of the community. She was hired not only for her personality, but because she speaks 7 dialects of Chinese including Cantonese and just a wee bit of English. This allows her to communicate with most all who shop in her clothing store. :D

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

I recently moved from San Francisco where Cantonese was spoken everywhere and you hardly here any Mandarian spoken.

In LA, I found that there are very few Cantonese speakers. I listen to the people walking by and the people that work in the restaurant and they speak mostly Mandarian. I think most of them are from Taiwan. Whereas most of the Chinese they settled in New York and San Francisco earlier came from the GuongDong,Guang Xi, and Hong Kong area where Cantonese is widely used.

Taiwanese are now a minority out numbered by Mainland Chinese in the cities east of L.A.. The cities of Alhambra, San Gabriel, Rosemead, Arcadia, Temple City and Hacienda Heights all have over 35% Chinese population. If you add in the older Japanese population together they are over 50% of each city. Diamond Bar is now heavily Korean.

Monterey Park, is in fact a new ¡®Chinatown¡® in Los Angeles County. In this regard, the following may be of interest to our members.

In years past, in America, ¡®Chinatown¡® was always very well defined in its boundaries within a city and always represented the enclave of the Chinese/Asian population; with the largest concentration of businesses and residences of that population therein.

Today, in California, and most notably Southern California/Los Angeles County, the demographic picture has transformed dramatically. Now, entire communities/cities have in essence, become the multiple new, or de facto ¡®Chinatowns¡®; relegating the very old, historic Chinatown in the city center of Los Angeles, as more of a historical/cultural, tourist center, with many Chinese businesses relocating to the new areas in the suburbs, outside of the Los Angeles Civic Center area.

Some facts: In the 1990 census, the L.A. suburban city of Monterey Park had the first Asian descent [majority] population in the entire continental United States. As of the most recent 2000 national census, Monterey Park is 42.32% Chinese, making it the most Chinese place in the entire United States. Today, it is most likely approaching the 50% mark. Many, I think, may have guessed San Francisco to be the city with the largest Chinese population ?? There are also very large Chinese populations in the nearby/contiguous cities of Alhambra, Arcadia, San Marino, South Pasadena, and Rowland Heights, to name a few.

Driving down a main business street in Monterey Park, with most of the signage in Chinese characters, provides one with the feel of a Southern Chinese city, less the humid air :lol: A walk through most of these businesses, will reveal that Cantonese Chinese is the most prominent language being spoken. Most of the ethnic travel agencies here, will be able to provide very competitive air fares to China.

We went to Monterey Park for Spring Festival. The Floral Street Fair was pretty commercial, but my wife and daughter really enjoyed dinner at the San Gabriel Mall (Square) twice (Tofu House and Sam Woo). We stayed in a motel on Atlantic that was walking distance from NBC seafood and had Dim Sum for breakfast twice also.

The Shenyang Homestyle restaurant in downtown Monterey Park was closed, so we will probably go back to try that one.

They also enjoyed the LA Arboretum on Sunday.

-James

We went to Monterey Park for Spring Festival. The Floral Street Fair was pretty commercial, but my wife and daughter really enjoyed dinner at the San Gabriel Mall (Square) twice (Tofu House and Sam Woo). We stayed in a motel on Atlantic that was walking distance from NBC seafood and had Dim Sum for breakfast twice also.

The Shenyang Homestyle restaurant in downtown Monterey Park was closed, so we will probably go back to try that one.

They also enjoyed the LA Arboretum on Sunday.

-James

Dern James, next time let us know. Leiqin works on the second floor of the Focus Jewelry Center at the San Gabriel Square. We'd love to meet your new family.

Mike (Michaln) is driving his new wife Ling down from Santa Maria tomorrow ~11am where we will meet for lunch at the Square. Be nice if you or any other members have time and would like to meet too.