Advice needed on booking flights on short notice

I would appreciate advice on the best ways to book flights to/from China on short notice. I want to go with Jen to her interview then fly back together. Her name check is not cleared yet but it seems she will only get a two or three week notice for the interview. So I am looking to book two round trip tickets (for me and my son) between Las Vegas and Shanghai then two additional one-way tickets from Shanghai and Las Vegas (for Jen and her daughter) within about two or three weeks from when we know the interview date. If it’s easier, we can fly from Los Angeles or San Francisco and just deal with the domestic ticket to Vegas. This all could depend on the SARS situation.

Thanks,

Tom

Check out http://www.flychina.com I'm about to purchase some tickets for myself and my fiancee from LAX to GUZ.

China Southern is only flying Wednesdays and Fridays now. I'm going with Asiana Airlines.

My fiancee said she could purchase the one-way ticket (Asiana Airline) from Guilin to NYC for 6500 rmb from a local travel agency in Nanning. The flychina.com gave me the same flight for 1141 USD. I also checked one travel agency in Boston Chinatown and it was over $1100. Airline tickets are expensive now.

If you live in China there is no reason to even think about buying tickets in America. We have bought 3 tickets in the last 3 days from Shanghai to Memphis, Tennessee. The price was 4200 yuan total per ticket. I think that is about $526 in America. I have checked everyplace in America I could and the best price I could get there was around $728, and it was a lot worse flight. We are going straight from Shanghai to San Francisco to Memphis. Only one stop the whole way, no layovers in Japan, Atlanta, or New York. If you are in China call CITS or another travel agent and get the tickets from them and you should save some money. If you have to send the money to your sweetie to help him or her do this it might be worth it in the long run. I know the CITS in Changsha can buy roundtrip tickets starting in America as long as it starts in a POE like LA or San Fran.

Guest blsqueaky

I know that I just purchased my tickets for travel from Columbus, Oh to GZ thru flychina. I will be changing flight in LA from Delta to Asiana Air, and my return is Asiana to United. My r/t was $893 Got my reservations on Friday, payed for tickets on Monday and received in mail Saturday.

Pretty quick I think. :greenblob:

hi tom,

i recommend united airlines for short notice flights. i have personally flown from east coast usa to shanghai for 580 usd round trip. i have also seen some flights to beijing run as low as 430 usd round trip. not bad imho.

gv

" International E-Fares give you the chance to explore the world at a price you can afford. International E-Fares are published on Tuesdays for purchase by Friday. Valid for departure on Monday through Thursday with a return the next Monday through Thursday. International E-Fares get you in the air quick and give you enough time to see it all. " --- www.united.com

The only time that I have flown United is on short notice. It seems that the other carriers always beat them on the advance bookings, but they seem to discount deeper on the last minute bookings to fill the empty seats. I wasn't too happy with the quality of the service though. Guess I got what I paid for.