One More Problem!

Just wanted to post that Li seems to have had some sort of allergic reaction to the vaccinations she took on Thursday. She was given two shots, one was the MMR (Measles, Mumps, Rubella) - the other was for Tetanus and Diptheria. Today (Saturday) she has been listless with muscle aches, shortness of breath, and general muscle fatigue. She has no fever. She seems to be feeling a little better this afternoon after taking Ibuprofin. The handout they gave us with the injections listed all of these symptoms as possible side effects of the vaccine and warned not to take aspirin.

Will keep a close eye on her, thats for sure. Fortunately, she has no fever so that is a blessing. We fear that contacting the doctor at this point might result in a SARS over-reaction seeings how we are from Guangdong. However, we are well beyond the SARS window of incubation as we have been stateside for a month now with no untoward symptoms of that disease.

We were due to leave for Florida tomorrow morning to visit my father and my daughter but may have to delay the trip if she is not feeling better.

Just wondered if anyone else had experienced any side effects from the injections. Any info would be greatly appreciated. ;) :greenblob:

I raised four kids and went through the whole immunization routine with them all. (I was the one that the kids came to when they didn't feel well, not their mother.) Also, working in the machine shops for over twenty years, I had several of the tetanus shots myself. All of my kids went through the same symptoms. Not serious and only lasts a couple of days usually. The tetanus shots always did that to me. I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets worse or does not start improving soon. Having said that, I don't intend to scare you, just pass on the information below. Again, it is rare, so don't sweat it.

They tell you no aspirin or ibuprofen as they both contain salicylate and can, rarely, cause Reyes syndrome. It is rare and usually only in children though. Acetaminophen (Tylenol) is OK.

From http://www.thearc.org/faqs/reyes.html : Many over the counter medications contain salicylates, including Pepto Bismol, Excedrin, Anacin, Bufferin, Coricidin, Triaminicin, Alka-Seltzer, Aspergum and Dristan tablets. Due to the danger associated with taking aspirin, doctors recommend that children be given medication containing acetaminophen (pronounced "a(SEE(ta(men(o(fen") which is found in non-aspirin drugs such as Tylenol and Tempra. Acetaminophen is safer because it does not accumulate in the body with repeated doses as aspirin does. Both are equally effective in reducing fever and pain (Stehlin, 1987).

Glad to report that Li is feeling better this morning, albeit still a bit listless. We had planned to leave for Florida this morning but will wait until tomorrow morning to depart, thus giving her another day to rest. This will be my first long road trip driving since my return home. All the way from North Alabama to South Florida. Plan to break it up into two days though.