THE WORLD'S BEST TEAPOT...

The three piece tea pots are available in the L.A. area at some Asian groceries and home supply stores. The Koreatown Tea Houses oftrn use them in various styles. They come in sizes making 1 to 4 cups.

The prices range from $7.00 to $24.00. My Taiji Teapot from Yafeng Co. was $7 at the Asia Expo in Pomona (A two day discount fair for Chinese). It holds 1200ML. The thing I don't like about it is cleaning out the delicate screen that holds the tea.

The easiest way is still to put leaves in a pot of water, bring to boil, turn off and steep. Then pour into cups. My wife and friends think it is funny that I am concerned about keeping the leaves out of the cup.

MY GOD DAN YOU BOIL THE TEA... :blink:

Please don't ruin tea by using water at the WRONG temp...

Green tea is NOT boiled nor is it made with boiling water... :o

http://www.holymtn.com/tea/brew.htm

Well it tastes good. What more do you want? Are you telling me you put a thermometer in the pot and pull it off the burner as it reaches optimum temperature?

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The three piece tea pots are available in the L.A. area at some Asian groceries and home supply stores. The Koreatown Tea Houses oftrn use them in various styles. They come in sizes making 1 to 4 cups.

The prices range from $7.00 to $24.00. My Taiji Teapot from Yafeng Co. was $7 at the Asia Expo in Pomona (A two day discount fair for Chinese). It holds 1200ML. The thing I don't like about it is cleaning out the delicate screen that holds the tea.

The easiest way is still to put leaves in a pot of water, bring to boil, turn off and steep. Then pour into cups. My wife and friends think it is funny that I am concerned about keeping the leaves out of the cup.

MY GOD DAN YOU BOIL THE TEA... :o

Green tea is NOT boiled nor is it made with boiling water... :D

Well it tastes good. What more do you want? Are you telling me you put a thermometer in the pot and pull it off the burner as it reaches optimum temperature?

Exactly... :D Of course I do run a lab and have all the goodies... :blink:

MY GOD DAN YOU BOIL THE TEA... :D

Okay, okay I do hate to be a snob about it and I never realized it made such a big diffrenece until I brought white tea back from China...I boiled the water poured it into my Yixing teapot, steeped it for "awhile" and voila... :D about the worst thing I ever tasted emerged... ;) I just made a cup here in my lab...heated the water to 75 C and then steeped for 2 min 45 sec...It is a rare and delicious treat...so it can make a BIG difference with the more delicate teas... :o

Okay, okay I do hate to be a snob about it and I never realized it made such a big diffrenece until I brought white tea back from China...I boiled the water poured it into my Yixing teapot, steeped it for "awhile" and voila... :D about the worst thing I ever tasted emerged... ;) I just made a cup here in my lab...heated the water to 75 C and then steeped for 2 min 45 sec...It is a rare and delicious treat...so it can make a BIG difference with the more delicate teas... :o

Do you know what an up roar there would be in my house if I made such a production about the tea in the evening when we are supposed to be relaxing?

I grant you that some teas do need special care. So now you have a practical application for the work lab. Maybe you could have a contest at work to see who can make the perfect brew (tea that is).

Green tea is NOT boiled nor is it made with boiling water... :D

Exactly... ;) Of course I do run a lab and have all the goodies... :blink:

Do you know what an up roar there would be in my house if I made such a production about the tea in the evening when we are supposed to be relaxing?

I grant you that some teas do need special care. So now you have a practical application for the work lab. Maybe you could have a contest at work to see who can make the perfect brew (tea that is).

Dan I am the lab... :o

Green tea is NOT boiled nor is it made with boiling water... ;)

Exactly... ;) Of course I do run a lab and have all the goodies... :blink:

Dan I am the lab... :o

I thought you had an assistant that covers when you are in China. What did you do with him? :D

MY GOD DAN YOU BOIL THE TEA... :blink:

Exactly... :D Of course I do run a lab and have all the goodies... :rolleyes:

Okay, okay I do hate to be a snob about it and I never realized it made such a big diffrenece until I brought white tea back from China...I boiled the water poured it into my Yixing teapot, steeped it for "awhile" and voila... :blink: about the worst thing I ever tasted emerged... ;) I just made a cup here in my lab...heated the water to 75 C and then steeped for 2 min 45 sec...It is a rare and delicious treat...so it can make a BIG difference with the more delicate teas... :rolleyes:

Dan I am the lab... :huh:

I thought you had an assistant that covers when you are in China. What did you do with him? :huh:

Check my avatar Dan... :blink:

Noooooooooooooooo don't dump the used tea leaves. You can sun dry them and save them until you have enough and then you can make a pillow with them. My SO does this and the pillows are very comfortable and give you a fragrant night's sleep.

Hey Charles! I haven't been here for a while.

That's an interesting idea. I'll ask lao po about it and see if she has ever tried it.

Another use is in the garden. Tea leaves make a very rich mulch and fertilizer for growing vegetables.

Best Regards

Noooooooooooooooo don't dump the used tea leaves. You can sun dry them and save them until you have enough and then you can make a pillow with them. My SO does this and the pillows are very comfortable and give you a fragrant night's sleep.

Hey Charles! I haven't been here for a while.

That's an interesting idea. I'll ask lao po about it and see if she has ever tried it.

Another use is in the garden. Tea leaves make a very rich mulch and fertilizer for growing vegetables.

Best Regards

Hey Mike good to see you here again. I too will ask my SO about the fertilizer. Sounds like a great idea.

Okay, okay I do hate to be a snob about it and I never realized it made such a big diffrenece until I brought white tea back from China...I boiled the water poured it into my Yixing teapot, steeped it for "awhile" and voila... :D about the worst thing I ever tasted emerged... ;) I just made a cup here in my lab...heated the water to 75 C and then steeped for 2 min 45 sec...It is a rare and delicious treat...so it can make a BIG difference with the more delicate teas... :blink:

Roger,

I think you are officially Chinese at this point. You are absolutely correct.

The second time I went to China, I intentionally sought out white tea as I had tasted some here in the U.S. (SF Chinatown). Lao Po had never tasted it and wouldn't buy it because it was too expensive. In the old days white tea was reserved only for the royal court. Boiling it ruins the tea.

Lao Po has a very good friend who runs a teahouse and we were told to not boil the tea or put boiling water on the leaves. 180F to 190F, maximum. What a difference!

I love white tea; it's my favorite, but you have to treat it with some "respect"... it is delicate, aromatic and very flavorful. I have served it to dozens of people here in the States and their response is always extremely positive.

The only note of caution here is that the white tea is VERY hard to obtain in the States. I have yet to find genuine full leaf white tea in the U.S. The major brands, Stash, Republic of Tea, Numi... you name it, they are all selling a blend or something that is 100% bogus. The blends don't work because the black tea they (usually) cut it with doesn't brew the same way as the white, so it never tastes good. The bogus stuff is just not worth having.

Best Regards

P.S. To make it worse, I've been to "teahouses" here in California where they charge up to $35 for 3.5 ounces of "white tea" that isn't even close to authentic. Same with the others. I once bought a can of "Republic of Tea Emperor's White Tea" (in a bag!??!?!) for about that; $32.00, plus tax, only to cut open the bag and find that it wasn't even white tea.

Here's a tip; if the tea vacuum packed, it probably isn't white and, if it is, it has been ruined in the process. White tea should never be vacuum packed as that destroys the tea and ruins the flavor. It should remain in a natural state until used. Nothing wrong with sealing it, it just shouldn't be vacuum backed.

Good thread full of good info...

Okay, okay I do hate to be a snob about it and I never realized it made such a big diffrenece until I brought white tea back from China...I boiled the water poured it into my Yixing teapot, steeped it for "awhile" and voila... :blink: about the worst thing I ever tasted emerged... ;) I just made a cup here in my lab...heated the water to 75 C and then steeped for 2 min 45 sec...It is a rare and delicious treat...so it can make a BIG difference with the more delicate teas... :rolleyes:

Roger,

The second time I went to China, I intentionally sought out white tea as I had tasted some here in the U.S. (SF Chinatown). Lao Po had never tasted it and wouldn't buy it because it was too expensive. In the old days white tea was reserved only for the royal court. Boiling it ruins the tea.

Lao Po has a very good friend who runs a teahouse and we were told to not boil the tea or put boiling water on the leaves. 180F to 190F, maximum. What a difference!

I love white tea; it's my favorite, but you have to treat it with some "respect"... it is delicate, aromatic and very flavorful. I have served it to dozens of people here in the States and their response is always extremely positive.

The only note of caution here is that the white tea is VERY hard to obtain in the States. I have yet to find genuine full leaf white tea in the U.S. The major brands, Stash, Republic of Tea, Numi... you name it, they are all selling a blend or something that is 100% bogus. The blends don't work because the black tea they (usually) cut it with doesn't brew the same way as the white, so it never tastes good. The bogus stuff is just not worth having.

Best Regards

P.S. To make it worse, I've been to "teahouses" here in California where they charge up to $35 for 3.5 ounces of "white tea" that isn't even close to authentic. Same with the others. I once bought a can of "Republic of Tea Emperor's White Tea" (in a bag!??!?!) for about that; $32.00, plus tax, only to cut open the bag and find that it wasn't even white tea.

Here's a tip; if the tea vacuum packed, it probably isn't white and, if it is, it has been ruined in the process. White tea should never be vacuum packed as that destroys the tea and ruins the flavor. It should remain in a natural state until used. Nothing wrong with sealing it, it just shouldn't be vacuum backed.

Wow you are a real white tea EXPERT Mike... :huh: :rolleyes: As far as my becoming Chinese... :V: Yes it's true...In fact I have some notes around here somewhere and some day I'll do a thread on becoming Chinese... :blink:

• 3 weeks later...

Okay, okay I do hate to be a snob about it and I never realized it made such a big diffrenece until I brought white tea back from China...I boiled the water poured it into my Yixing teapot, steeped it for "awhile" and voila... :P about the worst thing I ever tasted emerged... ;) I just made a cup here in my lab...heated the water to 75 C and then steeped for 2 min 45 sec...It is a rare and delicious treat...so it can make a BIG difference with the more delicate teas... :D

Roger,

Best Regards

Have you tried http://www.redblossomtea.com/index.php I buy from here and have been happy with the tea. It is a little tea shop in SF Chinatown