THE WORLD'S BEST TEAPOT...

http://i13.tinypic.com/2hyz31j.jpg

When we were in China last fall we drank many cups of tea at laopo's friend's house in Yuxi, Yunnan. I had never seen these Piao pots before but I soon realized that this was ther best tea making device I had ever seen.

It consists of 3 parts; outer pot, inner pot and lid. You put the tea in the upper chamber and pour your water into it. When it's done to your liking you press a button which releases the tea into the lower/outer pot. So you can wash the tea first, dump that out, and brew to your liking. Add more water to the upper chamber and keep going until the tea is exhausted. If there is a more efficient, easier way to make tea I cannot imagine it. It says it will also make coffee the same way. The unit is very high-quality, made in Taiwan. We first found them at a fancy tea store in Yuxi for 100 RMB, at the Wal-Mart there they were 70 RMB and finally in Lijiang we found them for 30 RMB. I just checked a online tea site here and they were $44.50... :o :angry: On the company website there are many different models but in China we only found one everywhere, model GL-865-500cc.

http://www.piao-i.com/enweb/product/product.htm

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I brought 2 back with me last time I visited my SO. One large and one small. I think they were no more than 80 RMB each. They were great, no mess no fuss. Just dump the tea leaves out when you are done. The glass beaker is of laboratory grade, very thin and strong.

Anyone who likes tea should get one. You won't use anything else again! :angry:

I checked ebay and there is only one site offering them

http://cgi.ebay.com/Piao-I-500cc-Glass-Mug...oQQcmdZViewItem

for $13.80 + 6.50 shipping from China

WOW, this guy on ebay is making some serious bucks selling the tea pot and different kind of tea leaves. Seems like he has over 200% mark-up on most of his stuff. Can't tell if the tea pot he sells is the real McCoy but the instruction he shown is at least in traditional Chinese meaning it's either from Taiwan or Hong Kong.

You might get lucky and find them in one of the larger Chinese supermarket in your city.

I checked ebay and there is only one site offering them

http://cgi.ebay.com/Piao-I-500cc-Glass-Mug...oQQcmdZViewItem

for $13.80 + 6.50 shipping from China

WOW, this guy on ebay is making some serious bucks selling the tea pot and different kind of tea leaves. Seems like he has over 200% mark-up on most of his stuff. Can't tell if the tea pot he sells is the real McCoy but the instruction he shown is at least in traditional Chinese meaning it's either from Taiwan or Hong Kong.

You might get lucky and find them in one of the larger Chinese supermarket in your city.

It looks legit...They show the PIAO name and trademark on the side and they do have a 100% positive rating. But there is no doubt you can do much, much better buying one in China yourself...

I brought 2 back with me last time I visited my SO. One large and one small. I think they were no more than 80 RMB each. They were great, no mess no fuss. Just dump the tea leaves out when you are done. The glass beaker is of laboratory grade, very thin and strong.

Anyone who likes tea should get one. You won't use anything else again! :P

Noooooooooooooooo don't dump the used tea leaves. You can sun dry them and save them until you have enough and then you can make a pillow with them. My SO does this and the pillows are very comfortable and give you a fragrant night's sleep.

Thanks Roger ... it's on my list for the next China trip. Think I'll poke around 99 Ranch also. I enjoy a cup of tea.

Sooooo many people in China give us tea as a gift. Lao Po will not usually drink tea ... keeps her awake. I do have her drinking some US manufactured no caffeine herbal tea ... sometimes. We have a lifetime supply of green tea from the aforementioned gifts.

My favorite is high quality jasmine. This I would only brew in an individual glass because the beauty of the jasmine "blooming" is part of the experience.

http://i13.tinypic.com/2hyz31j.jpg

When we were in China last fall we drank many cups of tea at laopo's friend's house in Yuxi, Yunnan. I had never seen these Piao pots before but I soon realized that this was ther best tea making device I had ever seen.

It consists of 3 parts; outer pot, inner pot and lid. You put the tea in the upper chamber and pour your water into it. When it's done to your liking you press a button which releases the tea into the lower/outer pot. So you can wash the tea first, dump that out, and brew to your liking. Add more water to the upper chamber and keep going until the tea is exhausted. If there is a more efficient, easier way to make tea I cannot imagine it. It says it will also make coffee the same way. The unit is very high-quality, made in Taiwan. We first found them at a fancy tea store in Yuxi for 100 RMB, at the Wal-Mart there they were 70 RMB and finally in Lijiang we found them for 30 RMB. I just checked a online tea site here and they were $44.50... :o :rolleyes: On the company website there are many different models but in China we only found one everywhere, model GL-865-500cc.

http://www.piao-i.com/enweb/product/product.htm

110 V. or 220 V power needed?

Steve

Steve

Steve ... power is not an issue, the water is heated independently and then poured in the brewing pot.

I think you heat the teapot on the stove.

You can't put it on the stove. The outer pot, in many cases, is polycarbonate. In some models it's glass but I doubt it's the type you can put on direct heat.

Edited by jim_julian (see edit history)

Steve

Steve ... power is not an issue, the water is heated independently and then poured in the brewing pot.

I think you heat the teapot on the stove.

You can't put it on the stove. The outer pot, in many cases, is polycarbonate. In some models it's glass but I doubt it's the type you can put on direct heat.

Exactly right Jim...Come on guys is it such a big deal to heat the water separately... :o And to get really technical on y'all different tea types require different water temps anyway... :blink: White tea the coolest, then green and finally for black and puerh full boiling... :D

The three piece tea pots are available in the L.A. area at some Asian groceries and home supply stores. The Koreatown Tea Houses oftrn use them in various styles. They come in sizes making 1 to 4 cups.

The prices range from $7.00 to $24.00. My Taiji Teapot from Yafeng Co. was $7 at the Asia Expo in Pomona (A two day discount fair for Chinese). It holds 1200ML. The thing I don't like about it is cleaning out the delicate screen that holds the tea.

The easiest way is still to put leaves in a pot of water, bring to boil, turn off and steep. Then pour into cups. My wife and friends think it is funny that I am concerned about keeping the leaves out of the cup.

The three piece tea pots are available in the L.A. area at some Asian groceries and home supply stores. The Koreatown Tea Houses oftrn use them in various styles. They come in sizes making 1 to 4 cups.

The prices range from $7.00 to $24.00. My Taiji Teapot from Yafeng Co. was $7 at the Asia Expo in Pomona (A two day discount fair for Chinese). It holds 1200ML. The thing I don't like about it is cleaning out the delicate screen that holds the tea.

The easiest way is still to put leaves in a pot of water, bring to boil, turn off and steep. Then pour into cups. My wife and friends think it is funny that I am concerned about keeping the leaves out of the cup.

MY GOD DAN YOU BOIL THE TEA... :blink:

Please don't ruin tea by using water at the WRONG temp...

Green tea is NOT boiled nor is it made with boiling water... :o

http://www.holymtn.com/tea/brew.htm