My wife won't let me throw it away!

My TV set gave out after twelve satisfying years. No big, expensive TV but it has been a good one. So I went and purchased a new set. A 32" CRT. The last one was a 27".

With the new TV sitting in place of the old one and the old one sitting on the living room floor, I was ready to throw it on back of the pick-up truck and haul it to the dump when my wife objected. The "sparks" began to fly! She said why throw it away, she can send it to her brother-in-law in China. I said it would cost twice as much to ship it than what I paid for it 12 years ago! It would probably be better, and cheaper, just to buy a new set to send to your brother-in-law in China!

So it went one. We argued over that old, broken-down TV set for half the morning the other day. I tried to explain to her how we are a "disposable" society and when things quit working we throw them out. She just can't comprehend this way of life.

She doesn't like the new TV, she liked the old TV better, she says.

It's a "whirlwind" whenever I buy something new like this, but "I", (and i emphasize the noun "I"), wanted a new, and bigger TV set, and that's what "I" did; "I" got one! My wife doesn't like to watch much TV but "I" do!

Anyways, the old, broken-down TV set is still sitting on the living room floor, where it has been for a week, and I guess it will just have to stay there. What is an American to do?

I'm thinking about maybe planting daisies in it this coming spring? Or maybe make an aquarium out of it?......geeeeshh!

Just tell her that the old TV gives out large radiation. Bad for health. At least you didn't buy a 50 inches plasma or LCD HD TV. She will definitely have a fit. My wife has no problem throwing out old stuffs. Old is more than 2 years old. She likes new stuffs.

I get that Tony. Mine can't understand why I keep the antique collection. "It is old, you no use. Throw away". But it is valuable. "Then sell it, no need." :pash:

Try a differant approach to throwing it away, Bring all of the old items to the goodwill, tell here that they fix the old items and reuse them for the needy. Which is true. Then you can itemize the donations and write them off on taxes. This is a win win, she feels good about helping the needy and you feel good about the tax write off.

That is truely funny! Mayb you can replace your coffee table with the old TV and put a flower arrangement on top. :lol:

My TV set gave out after twelve satisfying years. No big, expensive TV but it has been a good one. So I went and purchased a new set. A 32" CRT. The last one was a 27".

With the new TV sitting in place of the old one and the old one sitting on the living room floor, I was ready to throw it on back of the pick-up truck and haul it to the dump when my wife objected. The "sparks" began to fly! She said why throw it away, she can send it to her brother-in-law in China. I said it would cost twice as much to ship it than what I paid for it 12 years ago! It would probably be better, and cheaper, just to buy a new set to send to your brother-in-law in China!

So it went one. We argued over that old, broken-down TV set for half the morning the other day. I tried to explain to her how we are a "disposable" society and when things quit working we throw them out. She just can't comprehend this way of life.

It's a "whirlwind" whenever I buy something new like this, but "I", (and i emphasize the noun "I"), wanted a new, and bigger TV set, and that's what "I" did; "I" got one! My wife doesn't like to watch much TV but "I" do!

Anyways, the old, broken-down TV set is still sitting on the living room floor, where it has been for a week, and I guess it will just have to stay there. What is an American to do?

I'm thinking about maybe planting daisies in it this coming spring? Or maybe make an aquarium out of it?......geeeeshh!

Besides that, tell her the first time it is plugged in, in china, it will most probably smoke because I doubt if it will work on the 220vac power in China. Most probably it will only work on 115vac like we have in the USA. Most laptops are international but I doubt the same is true of TVs, especially ones that old.

Gale

Se Lang is correct. Your old TV simply won't work in China because it's a NTSC (Never the same color twice) set. Chinese television is broadcast in PAL.

TY99, may I suggest you substitute the word "wife" for the word "TV" in your story below. :ph34r: Perhaps then you may get a sense of why she's frustrated. Maybe subconsciously she's projecting that you may want to "dispose" of her when she's old and no longer of use to you. Don't laugh; some women think this way. Not all, but some do.

It's still sitting on the floor and the pick-up is still backed up to the back porch the way it's been for over a week now.

Nothing else has been said about it, not even one word. I'm going to see how long it can sit there until I can't take it any more.

I have already formulated a plan. When my wife and her daughter make their weekly Sunday run to Wal-mart, I'm going to load it up and haul it off! Let the fortune cookies fall where they may!...... :D

Sorry, but this is too funny! Actually, I am surprised this is a problem. In China, I would go in to these DUMPY homes, with concrete floors, no heat/ac, no hot water. But, they all had big screen TV's with rocking surround sound systems... My wife is about as stingy as they come. But, when it came time to get a new TV, it was not problem getting a 42 inch plasma.

To echo what others are saying, she hates my antiques... My grandparents games us my great-grandparents wedding china as a wedding gift. My wife hates it because it's old, and wants us to get rid of it...

Ah, cultural differences!! My goodness, I do love her!

It's still sitting on the floor and the pick-up is still backed up to the back porch the way it's been for over a week now.

Nothing else has been said about it, not even one word. I'm going to see how long it can sit there until I can't take it any more.

I have already formulated a plan. When my wife and her daughter make their weekly Sunday run to Wal-mart, I'm going to load it up and haul it off! Let the fortune cookies fall where they may!...... :lol:

The presence of the old TV or lack of it is not the point. The point is that if you can afford to buy yourself a new TV then you can buy one for someone she designates in China also.

Let her come to the conclusion herself. Ask her, "Well, are we still going to send that TV to China? Let's take it over to UPS (or whatever method you choose) and send it today." Box it up and go over there, and let them weigh it, and let her see for herself that it's going to cost $944 just to ship it. Don't fight her about things like this; let her see for herself.