It seems as though the AOS process is moving relative fast. I paid the fee for the EAD and mailed it with the AOS paperwork and fee. I have not yet received the EAD and we are scheduled for the AOS interview on March 8. Isn't it kind of crazy to pay the fee and do the paperwork when the document arrives only days before or after the interview? Assumming that we pass the interview. Don't see why we shouldn't!

Mike

Very true. My wife and I applied for her AOS and EAD in April 2006. We applied for the AOS for our daughter at the same time (she's 14).

We got the EAD in August.

In December they both had their interviews and passed. The Immigration Officer told us that our daughters FBI security check had cleared in 2 days...but my wife's is still pending.....and is still pending.

That really confuss' me some. I thought it was necessary to file the EAD. My wife does not plan on going to go to work we just wanted the SS#. My error for spending the money BUT>>>>>>> Don't they do the security clearance thing before the interview for the visa? Why does it take so long to do it again? In My past career in Law Enforcement we could take fingerprints and find out someone was using a different name in just a few days. Maybe criminal checks are a bigger priority than Immigration to some people.

That really confuss' me some. I thought it was necessary to file the EAD. My wife does not plan on going to go to work we just wanted the SS#. My error for spending the money BUT>>>>>>> Don't they do the security clearance thing before the interview for the visa? Why does it take so long to do it again? In My past career in Law Enforcement we could take fingerprints and find out someone was using a different name in just a few days. Maybe criminal checks are a bigger priority than Immigration to some people.

You need Employment Authorization - either in the form of the EAD card, or the green card - to get the SSN. The EAD card generally comes much sooner. We are applying for our 2nd EAD card (they expire after one year), even though the AOS interview was last June.

You need Employment Authorization - either in the form of the EAD card, or the green card - to get the SSN. The EAD card generally comes much sooner. We are applying for our 2nd EAD card (they expire after one year), even though the AOS interview was last June.

Randy, just to clarify, the OP's spouse needs EAD or GC to get SSN because his wife is on a K-3, correct? If the Chinese SO enters on a K-1, then there is no need to get EAD for the SSN, so long as one promptly applies for the SSN shortly after one enters the US, correct?