Leatherman question

Here it is. On my last trip to China I took mini-maglite flashlights as gifts for the men. This time I was thinking of taking Leatherman multi-tools or something similar. I have heard that in China you do not give knives as gifts. Does this cross that line of NOT giving knives as gifts? Would I be creating bad feeling or playing into some superstition?

David you insight would be helpful.

Thanks in advance

Here it is. On my last trip to China I took mini-maglite flashlights as gifts for the men. This time I was thinking of taking Leatherman multi-tools or something similar. I have heard that in China you do not give knives as gifts. Does this cross that line of NOT giving knives as gifts? Would I be creating bad feeling or playing into some superstition?

Thanks in advance

When my brother-in-law came here to visit, I bought him one and he really enjoyed it. He thought the quality was really good compared to other knives that were "Made in China"

Thanks in advance

interesting... I gave a high-end meat cleaver to my SO's mother on the last visit and she loves it... then again, I know there are lots of sticky details about things... for instance, you should not give a clock (symbolic of your time expiring on earth or something like that), but you can give a watch.

It is best to ask your SO before you bring them to China. Some families are more superstitious than others,

Is there a superstition about this? I took several for brothers/nephews and they were well received, but I showed them to Lao Po online before I bought them.

I tell Lao Po all the time that she needs to help me understand all this because there is just so much I don't know...

Best Regards

It is best to ask your SO before you bring them to China. Some families are more superstitious than others,

Is there a superstition about this? I took several for brothers/nephews and they were well received, but I showed them to Lao Po online before I bought them.

I tell Lao Po all the time that she needs to help me understand all this because there is just so much I don't know...

Best Regards

http://www.chinatownconnection.com/chinese-superstitions.htm

"Do not use knives or scissors on New Year's Day as this may cut off fortune."

Thanks in advance

I gave Baba a Gerber multi-tool.....he was delighted with it and wears it all the time....I think this idea of "proper" gifts varies greatly depending on the "progressiveness" of the receipients....I'm lucky in that my new Chinese family is very open and accepting of new ideas.....and me....I'm a lucky guy...

Steve