What type of clothes

aclassic

Although my SO and I might experience a bit of a delay receiving the P4, we hope that she will have her appointment scheduled sometime in April. I plan to be in GZ when she interviews. Does anyone have an idea of the weather in April. What is the average temperature and what type of clothing should one take? :rolleyes:

From the pinned topic above, Info on Guangzhou:

WEATHER & CLOTHING

The climate of Guangzhou is sub-tropical. The average year-round temperature is 22C. August is the hottest month, with an average temperature of 28C, but with a high of up to 38C in the day and 28C at night. January is the coldest month, with an average of 13C, although it can drop to around 0C. The weather is generally quite humid (often around 80-90% or more) so the heat can feel more oppressive, and the cold more pervasive. The rainy season falls between April and August. Average annual rainfall is 1,720 mm, and an umbrella is a must.

By the month of May it is already hot and humid in Guangzhou, with frequent, and often very heavy, rainstorms. Bring light clothing, but include layers ?light jackets, cardigans etc ?since the air-conditioning in hotels and restaurants can be fierce. It's worth bringing something to shield against the sun which can also be severe at times. Local people often favour using an umbrella for this, but sunglasses and sunscreen will also be fine.

Chinese often dress fairly informally. A simple suit or day dress is appropriate for all official visits, meetings and dinners, and in hot weather a short sleeved shirt with no jacket is perfectly acceptable business wear. Trousers are also perfectly acceptable for women. There aren't generally any rules about leisure wear, with almost anything being acceptable. However, for foreigners the more extravagant your outfit the more attention you might attract. Low cut and sleeveless tops, while not objectionable, might prove to be a point of fascination.

Thanks! Great info. Sounds like it may be warmer than I expected :rolleyes:

From the pinned topic above, Info on Guangzhou:

WEATHER & CLOTHING

The climate of Guangzhou is sub-tropical. The average year-round temperature is 22C. August is the hottest month, with an average temperature of 28C, but with a high of up to 38C in the day and 28C at night. January is the coldest month, with an average of 13C, although it can drop to around 0C. The weather is generally quite humid (often around 80-90% or more) so the heat can feel more oppressive, and the cold more pervasive. The rainy season falls between April and August. Average annual rainfall is 1,720 mm, and an umbrella is a must.

By the month of May it is already hot and humid in Guangzhou, with frequent, and often very heavy, rainstorms. Bring light clothing, but include layers ?light jackets, cardigans etc ?since the air-conditioning in hotels and restaurants can be fierce. It's worth bringing something to shield against the sun which can also be severe at times. Local people often favour using an umbrella for this, but sunglasses and sunscreen will also be fine.

Chinese often dress fairly informally. A simple suit or day dress is appropriate for all official visits, meetings and dinners, and in hot weather a short sleeved shirt with no jacket is perfectly acceptable business wear. Trousers are also perfectly acceptable for women. There aren't generally any rules about leisure wear, with almost anything being acceptable. However, for foreigners the more extravagant your outfit the more attention you might attract. Low cut and sleeveless tops, while not objectionable, might prove to be a point of fascination.

Since GUZ is only about 70 miles from Hong Kong, the weather difference between the 2 cities is minimal, the most a couple of degrees ©. The Chinese weather station web sites do not publish weather records from past years that I can find but here is a link for the Hong Kong Observatory. You can type in any date in history and get the complete weather record for that date.

http://www.hko.gov.hk/wxinfo/climat/specia.../select_e.shtml

If you are going to be there during late April into May, I would suggest you bring a couple pair of shorts with you. With the humidity upwards of 85%, you will wish you wore shorts. Trust me, I grew up there. :(

Here's a sucessful way to dress.

Toooooooo cute, Jim !!!! :(

Thanks! Great info. Sounds like it may be warmer than I expected :(

Think Houston in May

My very first trip to China, was to Guangzhou in mid-April !!!

Outside of time in the pool, I have never been so wet in my life; and the old Baiyun Airport had no A/C !!!!! :)

Thought I was used to heat and humidity living in Florida most of my life, but nothing prepared me for the sweatbox where my SO lives, which is in Guangdong Province. The last time I was there was May-June of 2006, and it rained everyday! She would turn the AC on as we went to bed, then turn it off sometime during the night, and I would wake up covered in sweat. After washing clothes, mother-in-law and SO would hang clothes to dry under the balcony, but the precipitaiton prevented clothes from drying, resulting with nasty mildew smelling clothes. We Americans do nothing but complain! :D