Changing to American names

Nice thread here. I would like to add a question along with this post. Curious I guess.

My SO and I have spoke of this and the future use of her name.

Her English name is Grace. We know this but we have never used it and will not in the future. Neither of us care for the name Grace.

As my SO's name is now Wen (family) Li (given), pronounced "When Lee," I once asked her if her friends and family ever just called her Li. She laughed at this. She made it clear that her name is Wen Li and all her family and friends address her as Wen Li. Never only Li.

This brings me to a question for the future use of the name Wen Li once she arrives in the US. As I will always call and introduce her as Wen Li or Wen Li Taylor (once we become a married couple)....

Will we need to use a more proper name as in; Li Wen Taylor on all government documents like the drivers license, marriage license, etc.?

Or, will or can we have these documents to read in the future, Wen Li Taylor?

Again, she will always be Wen Li (Taylor) to me. She is very happy with this as I am also.

Thanks,

Clayton

In your case her Given name is Wen, so that will still be First name and if she has no middle name Perhaps Li will be a good middle name, and she could take your family name as last name.

My fiancee and I plan to do just that.

My wife will keep her Chinese name, which is what I prefer. Most people do not have any problems with the pronunciation once they have heard it spoken. I would not have a problem if she wanted an American name. I am just glad she has expressed no interest in changing her name because I like her name, it is unique and not common and it is her.