DVD MOVIES

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, There is a web site, IMDB, which is billed at the world¡¯s largest movie data-base. Within it, is a sub-site which lists, in alpha order, all movies that contain Chinese subtitles. (See attached link)

I have found this useful, to locate subtitled versions, when I bring American DVD¡¯s to China to view with my wife and daughter. This listing makes it easier to find a Chinese subtitled movie, rather than trying to read the small print on the back of the DVD case.

Romantic movies such as Sleepless in Seattle and also most, if not all, of the action/drama Clint Eastwood - Dirty Harry type movies contain Chinese subtitles, as well as dozens more. She can understand a lot of English now, but the Chinese subtitles enable her to capture more of the feeling of the film, in concert with the English dialogue ;)

http://www.imdb.com/Sections/DVDs/Subtitles/Chinese/S

FYI, There is a web site, IMDB, which is billed at the world¡¯s largest movie data-base. Within it, is a sub-site which lists, in alpha order, all movies that contain Chinese subtitles. (See attached link)

I have found this useful, to locate subtitled versions, when I bring American DVD¡¯s to China to view with my wife and daughter. This listing makes it easier to find a Chinese subtitled movie, rather than trying to read the small print on the back of the DVD case.

Romantic movies such as Sleepless in Seattle and also most, if not all, of the action/drama Clint Eastwood - Dirty Harry type movies contain Chinese subtitles, as well as dozens more. She can understand a lot of English now, but the Chinese subtitles enable her to capture more of the feeling of the film, in concert with the English dialogue ;)

http://www.imdb.com/Sections/DVDs/Subtitles/Chinese/S

Be sure and read the back of the DVD cases, however. The ones I spot checked only show English, French, and Spanish sub-titles, although there were a few that list Chinese. "Mulan", "Lady from Shanghai", and "Lost Horizon" were not even listed at this link.

Buy them in China.

Will they work on a Region 1 DVD (What is it NTSB verus PAL)???

Any DVD disk you buy in china needs to consider two issues (concerning the data):

1) Region Code

Region 0: Compatible with any DVD player/region

Region 1: U.S.A and its territories, Canada

Region 2: Europe, Japan, Middle East, South Africa

Region 3: East and Southeast Asia

Region 4: Australia, New Zealand, Central America, Mexico, South America

Region 5: Africa, Eastern Europe, North Korea

Region 6: China

Region 7: Reserved

Region 8: International venues (airplanes, cruise ships, etc.)

2) video format (PAL vs NTSC)

See this link for countries using which format:

http://www.video-pro.co.uk/worldtv/

---

You can buy all region NTSC/PAL DVD player.. then you covered regardless of what DVD you buy.. I have two such players. They can be found as cheap as $35 (at least I got mine for that price).

Will they work on a Region 1 DVD (What is it NTSB verus PAL)???

Any DVD disk you buy in china needs to consider two issues (concerning the data):

1) Region Code

2) video format (PAL vs NTSC)

But most DVD's made in mainland China are Region 0, only a very few are actually coded for Region 6. Most of the recent players can play these, even Region 0 and PAL.

Hong Kong is Region 3 - these are much more likely to be coded as Region 3.

The Chinese players are region free, so any DVD you take will likely play on a Chinese player.

Check at yesasia.com. I think we've pretty well covered what's available here.

Thanks!!! This will be homework for tonight.

Make sure to check at Yesasia's US site, yesasia us, it is located in somewhere CA. They provide free shipment(by usps) for orders above $25. The Yesasia Global site is for customers buying stuffs outside US, it is located in HK. (yesasia global) The two sites are same company, but cater for customers from different places.

I have ordered stuffs from both Yesasia US and Yesasia Global since 2002, their service is quality guaranteed.