SSN and Green Card?

Hi guys,

I got my green card yesterday, it is 10 years card. my maid name is on my green card and my passport. now my husband wants me to put his family name on my SSN card. but I am afraid it would not be good as my maid name is on my green card and my passport. The reason my husband wants to his family on my SSN card is we filed Joint Tax in 2004,2005, his accoutant add his his family name number there. By the way I applied for ITIN, so I can filed joint Tax with him together in the US.

Thanks

Congratulations on getting your green card.

First, your family names do not need to be the same for you to file taxes jointly.

Now if your husband's accountant got the ITIN using his family name for you it would be easier for the accountant if you got your SSN with his family name, but not a big deal. An amended return may be required to resolve the name issue, but this depends on SSA and the US Tax Laws.

It would not be a big problem if you had the SSN with your husbands family name, but I have a strong feeling that the SSA will make a big issue of giving you an SSN in a different name than is on your green card or on file with the USCIS.

You need to take your passport, green card, Notary Certificate of Birth and ITIN with you to get your SSN. You will find out what they will allow, I have a feeling they will only issue the SSN in the same name as on your Green Card.

If they will not allow a name change then the accountant will need to correct the tax papers for the last 2 years depending on the tax laws.

It is also possible to apply for a new green card with the name change as well, take a look at How Do I Replace My Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)? You would use form I-90 for a Change in Biographic Data and the cost would be

$260 which includes a biometrics fee.

Also, you can have your new married name placed in your passport by the Chinese consulate.

Congrats on GC Paula

as a side note my wife will keep her family name until she applies for her 10 year green card and/or citizenship the government screws up to many things to confuse them with name changes. :drunk:

that's an interesting idea.. but I worry that by that time, so many things have to be changed.. so it's really a trade off.

My wife will just keep her name so my lazy ass will never have to think about it :drunk:

Congratulations on getting your green card.

First, your family names do not need to be the same for you to file taxes jointly.

Now if your husband's accountant got the ITIN using his family name for you it would be easier for the accountant if you got your SSN with his family name, but not a big deal. An amended return may be required to resolve the name issue, but this depends on SSA and the US Tax Laws.

It would not be a big problem if you had the SSN with your husbands family name, but I have a strong feeling that the SSA will make a big issue of giving you an SSN in a different name than is on your green card or on file with the USCIS.

You need to take your passport, green card, Notary Certificate of Birth and ITIN with you to get your SSN. You will find out what they will allow, I have a feeling they will only issue the SSN in the same name as on your Green Card.

If they will not allow a name change then the accountant will need to correct the tax papers for the last 2 years depending on the tax laws.

It is also possible to apply for a new green card with the name change as well, take a look at How Do I Replace My Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)? You would use form I-90 for a Change in Biographic Data and the cost would be

$260 which includes a biometrics fee.

Also, you can have your new married name placed in your passport by the Chinese consulate.

Thanks Lee. We have been to SSN office last week. At that time I didnt get my green card, so I just showed officer my passport, she said she can put my husbands family name on it, but she need our marriage certification. I didnt take my certification, so I have to go there this Friday. Yes I dont want to pay another $$$ for changing my name on my green card. I was told I can apply for american citizen in the 3th year here, It would be great at that time I can put his family name on it. Mainly the reason I want to be american citizen is for my son, I heard if I am american citizen, he would be citizen automatically as he is only 9 years old now. Is it true?

Mainly the reason I want to be american citizen is for my son, I heard if I am american citizen, he would be citizen automatically as he is only 9 years old now. Is it true?

That is correct. Your minor child will obtain US citizenship the same time you obtain your US citizenship. Your's will be a Naturalization Certificate and your child's will be a Certificate of Citizenship. You both will be US citizens.

I took the wifey to the SS office here in The Woodlands, Monday all we had to show was her passport with the I 551 stamp in it and turn in the application.

We had all the other papers Birth C, Marriage C, aka Red Book both in English and Chinese, her Chinese id and Chinese Driver L, but, didn't have to show any of them.

The wait was longer that the time we spent at the window.

1 hour wait, 5 minutes to complete the few questions asked at the window and time to log into SS office PC.

I ask to get it in her married name "my name" and was told to wait till

the SS card arrive and then come back after filing the I 90 thingie.

Bobby.... "im not trainable" :victory:

Paula, one's name is a very personal thing in my view. I would suggest that you decide what you want your name to be and then pursue adjusting things in an efficient manner to reflect what you want.

yes you are right. I like my chinese name, and dont want to change it, including my chinese surname too. Of course I respect american culture and want to add my husband's family name on my family name, then my chinese surname will be my middle name. but I dont want to pay $260 to replace my green card just for this name -_- :( so if it is not big deal my SSN name is a little bit differrent from my green card, I would put my husbands family name as my surname. Otherwise, I wont do it. anyway no matter what my name is, I always my husband's wife, sure, sweet and loving wife :D :D :D :D

Congrats on GC Paula

as a side note my wife will keep her family name until she applies for her 10 year green card and/or citizenship the government screws up to many things to confuse them with name changes. :(

that's an interesting idea.. but I worry that by that time, so many things have to be changed.. so it's really a trade off.

My wife will just keep her name so my lazy ass will never have to think about it -_-

We opted to go the Chinese way, so my wife

will keep her name.

Actually I don't see any reason other than confusion that you couldn't have your SSN and state drivers license / ID card in your married name and your green card in your maiden name.

The only real confusion is how the local SSA office decides to handle it, the only consistent thing is there is no consistency between offices or clerks at the same office. :blink:

Some will claim that since the USCIS does not have that name on file they can not make the name change while others will make the change based on marriage.

The sad part is both are right depending on the rule you read.

Actually I don't see any reason other than confusion that you couldn't have your SSN and state drivers license / ID card in your married name and your green card in your maiden name.

yes, I feel the same. I have SSN and dirver license in my married name ,which i can use in the US, and I have green card and passport in my maiden name, which I only use when I back and forth to the US. but I heard some employer will not hire you if your SSN and your green card are not consistent?

yes, I feel the same. I have SSN and dirver license in my married name ,which i can use in the US, and I have green card and passport in my maiden name, which I only use when I back and forth to the US. but I heard some employer will not hire you if your SSN and your green card are not consistent?

The employeer is required to complete Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. The green card is all that is needed for this form. The SSN is needed for tax forms and the name difference SHOULD NOT be an issue, but that is in a perfect world.

The employeer is required to complete Form I-9, Employment Eligibility Verification. The green card is all that is needed for this form. The SSN is needed for tax forms and the name difference SHOULD NOT be an issue, but that is in a perfect world.

thanks for your explanation man. I went to SSN office last week. The officer said I can put my husband's family name on SSN. as long as I show her my marriage certification. I didnt take it , so she said sorry then. but I have chinese marriage certification, Does it need to be notorized or coverted to american marriage certification? If I want to get an american marriage certification. What should I do? and how much does it cost?

thanks all guys here