Why file EAD?

I'm filing for AOS (K1) and advance parole. Can anyone think of a compelling reason to file AED now (if she doesn't particularly want to work right away), versus waiting for a "green card?" I know there is no certainty in the timing of obtaining the green card but she is in no hurry to work and I think the fee for AED would likely be wasted in the time before she gets the green card. Thanks all.

I think you meant EAD, employment authorization.

One of the big advantages other, than working, to file for EAD is to be able to get a drivers license or an SSN. But with a K-1 you can get an SSN. Some times it becomes more of a status issue, having the ability to work whether they do or not. It is best to discuss this as it could become a big issue between you if she is not involved in the decision.

Now if you meant EAD you can get a good deal at the AED Superstore, it might be useful for helping you to recover after those extra curricular actives. It's almost a must for the out of shape. :unsure:

http://www.aedsuperstore.com/ProductImages/Onsite_with_Supply.jpg

Now if you meant EAD you can get a good deal at the AED Superstore, it might be useful for helping you to recover after those extra curricular actives. It's almost a must for the out of shape. :unsure:

http://www.aedsuperstore.com/ProductImages/Onsite_with_Supply.jpg

Lee:

And she promised she would not tell anyone!

Yes, EAD is what I intended and thanks for the suggestion. She already has an SSN.

We learned the hard way....I filed for the EAD thinking the green card would take a long time, and thus we wanted to be sure she had work authorization. Little did we know the EAD took about the same time as the green card (in Colorado).

Also, based on Colorado law the EAD card would not have helped with the ID/license: they only accepted the AOS I-797 for a 90 day state ID/License, which was extended to 3 years when she got the green card. They would not recognize her EAD card as valid documentation for an ID.

As it turns out, in our case there really was no reason to get the EAD.

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)

I'm filing for AOS (K1) and advance parole. Can anyone think of a compelling reason to file AED now (if she doesn't particularly want to work right away), versus waiting for a "green card?" I know there is no certainty in the timing of obtaining the green card but she is in no hurry to work and I think the fee for AED would likely be wasted in the time before she gets the green card. Thanks all.

We did not to file for the EAD or the AP, Lusheng and the twins got there SSN Number's with no problem

Edited by hakkamike (see edit history)

Thanks for the advice and experiences from all.

I talked with her. We will wait for green card and not pay for EAD now. We will go ahead and file for AP ... we want to do some travelling and her brother will be getting married in Shanghai in September, so that is important.

And most importantly (for AP), she wants to go back to Dongman (Shenzhen) to shop!

Edited by coulter (see edit history)

I think two driving issues are:

1) How are the local office processing times.

2) How quickly does she want to work / Does it takes some stress off or give her a sense that she can work.

I can't see making it a financial issue.. if and when she works, it gets more than paid off...

Listen to her side and decide together; after you decide, ask yourself if you truly listened to her and the decision was based on her needs and not mostly your logic. Just my opinion... good luck.