USCIS...made a boo boo...they made a boo boo

We filed our AOS from a K-1 fiancee visa. We checked all our forms 20 times and then we check another 20 times. We made sure all info was consistent with everything we have filed before. Sent our package to the proper address along with the proper check amount. We were so ecstatic that the long journey is finally coming to an end. Four days later, we received our entire package, including our check back. Attached to our package was a I-797C Notice of Action with a big ol REJECTION NOTICE stamped in the ACTION TAKEN SECTION. Sooo.....wtf.....the I-797C said that we didn't provide the I-130. Please remit this form and the proper fees. WTF, is wrong with this picture????

I'll write the big conclusion to this fiasco a little later.

Edited by chef4u (see edit history)

You might want to turn it around with the I-797C on top with a cover letter that mentions that according to the I-485 instructions:

Evidence of eligibility

Based on admission as the K-1 fianc¨¦(e) of a U. S. citizen and subsequent marriage to that citizen.

Attach a copy of the fianc¨¦(e) petition approval notice, a copy of your marriage certificate and your Form 1-94.

Which is appropriate when checking Part 2 item C.

As hard as it is, be nice.

Their mistake.. that sucks...

I commented in the othe thread.. but I think the guidelines are a good redundant issue...

- Put purpose of filing on outside of envelope. Big letters.. (I-485, for K1 )

- The cover letter should have it easily identified that this person is K1 applying AOS

At top:

I-485 ORIGINAL SUBMISSION

Cover Letter For XYZ , Axxxxxxx

To Whom It May Concern:

Enclosed please find Form I-485 and supporting documents to adjust status as a K1 visa holder to Permanent Resident of the United States for XYZ , Axxxxxxx.

You and I discussed a lot of your paperwork Cheffie, and ours slid right through with no problems, so I would think yours should too.

As Don said in your other post, perhaps the best thing to do is just check everything again and send it back. One extra thing that I did, is sent it overnite with the post office and requested a return signature. I dont know if it really helped or not, but at the very least, it saves time and you know for sure that they have it.

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)

I swear I hear about them screwing up more AOS filings than they get right. Send it all back to them with a word document printed out in the largest font that will fit Based on admission as the K-1 fianc?e) of a U. S. citizen and subsequent marriage to that citizen.and that you checked the correct box. You might also want to send a magnifying glass along too.

Edited by warpedbored (see edit history)

I swear I hear about them screwing up more AOS filings than they get right. Send it all back to them with a word document printed out in the largest font that will fit Based on admission as the K-1 fianc?e) of a U. S. citizen and subsequent marriage to that citizen.and that you checked the correct box. You might also want to send a magnifying glass along too.

I'd avoid the magnifying glass, they would probably use it to examine your paperwork and start a fire. :angel:

Thanks for all the awesome advice and support. We made an appointment to meet with an immigration officer tomorrow via the InfoPass from the USCIS website. I want to hear from the, "horse's mouth", what went wrong and what we should do to correct the mistake.

Sorry to hear of this latest screw up, Cheffie. Oh, how I could tell stories about screw ups, from the get go of our case, there seems to have been mistakes made at every juncture. Hang in there, you can get it fixed.

Thanks Mick and everybody...The Immigration Officer today looked at our packet very carefully. He looked up and said, "I am very sorry for all your trouble. It appears we made a mistake. We rarely have this happen. Please resend your packet excluding the rejection notice. If you have a problem again, please come back and see me." :D

Thanks Mick and everybody...The Immigration Officer today looked at our packet very carefully. He looked up and said, "I am very sorry for all your trouble. It appears we made a mistake. We rarely have this happen. Please resend your packet excluding the rejection notice. If you have a problem again, please come back and see me." :unsure:

That's great Cheffy! At least he admitted their mistake. The only thing he said I disagree with is "we rarely have this happen." :P :rolleyes:

Thanks Mick and everybody...The Immigration Officer today looked at our packet very carefully. He looked up and said, "I am very sorry for all your trouble. It appears we made a mistake. We rarely have this happen. Please resend your packet excluding the rejection notice. If you have a problem again, please come back and see me." :unsure:

That's great Cheffy! At least he admitted their mistake. The only thing he said I disagree with is "we rarely have this happen." :P :rolleyes:

A little bit of "face saving" there