Green tea

Well then, let's not overlook Amanita mascara. :D

Don't know anything about mushrooms. I've never consumed any not purchased at the grocery store or a restaurant.

Where is this leading????????????? :ph34r:

Sorry, I can't help myself sometimes.

Anyway, you still didn't answer my last question. :D

Trying to catch a damned fish in the middle of the day :D

Ah, OK now I see the fishin' pole. :P

Do you see the man in the background? He is "fertilizing the rice." :P It is my SO's father.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Fishing on a hot sunny day :ph34r:

'cept it's freezing here....just got back from my evening walk.

Yeah, I thought there might have been a fishing expedition going on too. But I wasn't being asked about Psilcybin or, 'shrooms, so I wasn't sure.

But as a preemptive counter (just in case), I have never used any halucinogenic nor have I ever been intoxicated. I do drink maybe a six-pack a year and I don't care for the taste of wine. Mountain Dew or water tastes much better.

Yeah, I thought there might have been a fishing expedition going on too. But I wasn't being asked about Psilcybin or, 'shrooms, so I wasn't sure.

But as a preemptive counter (just in case), I have never used any halucinogenic nor have I ever been intoxicated. I do drink maybe a six-pack a year and I don't care for the taste of wine. Mountain Dew or water tastes much better.

:D Mountain Dew sends me over the edge.........Green tea is muchhhhhhhhhh more pleasant......No aftershocks.

:D Mountain Dew sends me over the edge.........Green tea is muchhhhhhhhhh more pleasant......No aftershocks.

Interesting....there's more caffeine in tea than the Dew. If I need to stay awake I'll drink some Snapple Tea. I can drink a Dew and go right to sleep. But I've mostly given up the Dew because of the sugar and I won't touch aspartame--that stuff is damn nasty. I read a bunch of studies on that stuff that were done before FDA approval was granted. At the original doses that were at first deemed safe, something like 40% of the subjects suffered grand mal seizures and 16% died (among other problems). So did the FDA ban the stuff? No they just said, "lower the concentration". Were they factoring in a 128oz. Super Gulp when they made that decision? No thanks.

Interesting....there's more caffeine in tea than the Dew. If I need to stay awake I'll drink some Snapple Tea. I can drink a Dew and go right to sleep. But I've mostly given up the Dew because of the sugar and I won't touch aspartame--that stuff is damn nasty. I read a bunch of studies on that stuff that were done before FDA approval was granted. At the original doses that were at first deemed safe, something like 40% of the subjects suffered grand mal seizures and 16% died (among other problems). So did the FDA ban the stuff? No they just said, "lower the concentration". Were they factoring in a 128oz. Super Gulp when they made that decision? No thanks.

Curt, my friend, relax. Try to unwind that uptight head. There's a lot of joking, winking, nudging and laughing here. So, maybe you have never imbibed, more power to you brother. Many of us here have, mei quang xi. Now, you have repeatedly informed us of your well-read self, so I wonder if you have not read that more octogenarians take a shot or have a glass or two of beer or wine each night? Pleeese stop with the righteousness. It just doesn¡¯t sit well for most of us.

Don't mean to spar. Just mean to be real.

Curt, my friend, relax. Try to unwind that uptight head. There's a lot of joking, winking, nudging and laughing here. So, maybe you have never imbibed, more power to you brother. Many of us here have, mei quang xi. Now, you have repeatedly informed us of your well-read self, so I wonder if you have not read that more octogenarians take a shot or have a glass or two of beer or wine each night? Pleeese stop with the righteousness. It just doesn¡¯t sit well for most of us.

WTF? What did I say that was uptight? I did not say I never imbibe. I said I've never been drunk. Did I criticize anyone with different habits than mine? I'm not a prohibitionist. I think weed should be legalized. All I said was that I had no interest in any of that for myself. I most certainly did not say anything to suggest my preferences were better or should be adopted by anyone else. Are you, my friend, projecting???? (gawd I hate psycho-babble...)

Curt, my friend, relax. Try to unwind that uptight head. There's a lot of joking, winking, nudging and laughing here. So, maybe you have never imbibed, more power to you brother. Many of us here have, mei quang xi. Now, you have repeatedly informed us of your well-read self, so I wonder if you have not read that more octogenarians take a shot or have a glass or two of beer or wine each night? Pleeese stop with the righteousness. It just doesn’t sit well for most of us.

WTF? What did I say that was uptight? I did not say I never imbibe. I said I've never been drunk. Did I criticize anyone with different habits than mine? I'm not a prohibitionist. I think weed should be legalized. All I said was that I had no interest in any of that for myself. I most certainly did not say anything to suggest my preferences were better or should be adopted by anyone else. Are you, my friend, projecting???? (gawd I hate psycho-babble...)

OK, sorry if I misread your intent. As you well know, that's the problem with email, forums and the like - posts can be misinterpreted. Seriously, I apologize if I did not understand what the point of your post was. Maybe, you can add some emoticons? :D

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

Apology accepted. I think I communicate quite well. If I wanted to be critical it would have been very clear. I looked but I couldn't find an emoticon that said, "Please don't think that sharing my own tastes for beverages is meant in any way to be a criticism of yours." My son however, is a programmer and an artist. Maybe I can get him to create one for us. :ph34r:

Edited by Ling-Curt (see edit history)

I'm amazed when I look in my teapot. I put just a few dry green tea in the pot. I didn't think it was enough, so I put a little more in. After I pour the hot water in and wait about 10 minutes or so, the leaves expand like crazy. The teapot looks like it has a rain forest in it. Is this normal? I mean you put in a little hard, dried out tea and it comes out looking like a green salad. As you can tell, I am not a "tea" person. I want to be, but I need instruction. :ph34r:

I used to have a t-shirt that read" Man made booze, God made weed, trust in God and save your seeds!"...back before I realized the shirt was an open invitation to any Barney Fife to shake me down.....

I agree, legalize the weed and use the taxes for treatment of addiction....take the criminal element's profits out of the equation just like the end of Prohibition did....

I think I need to drag out my DVD of "Reefer Madness" ---an excellent example of American propaganda produced by Hearst, leading to the passage of laws criminalizing weed....it's really pretty funny, but it scared the bejeesus out of the straights in its day....

Steve

(I know, off topic!!!!)

I'm amazed when I look in my teapot. I put just a few dry green tea in the pot. I didn't think it was enough, so I put a little more in. After I pour the hot water in and wait about 10 minutes or so, the leaves expand like crazy. The teapot looks like it has a rain forest in it. Is this normal? I mean you put in a little hard, dried out tea and it comes out looking like a green salad. As you can tell, I am not a "tea" person. I want to be, but I need instruction. :P

Heh, yeah, I have some that is tight little balls of hard tea. I only need to put 3-4 pieces for one mug and I'm always amazed at how much it expands. The "Sweet Tea" I mentioned earlier in this thread is light green and very much still "leafy". Then I have some that looks kinda like redish-brown pine needles that then open into a "leafy" appearance when brewed.

I know little about the whole product or industry but I've been to a couple of factories in China and seen some of the preparation and many varieties, big and small balls, rolled sticks, loose leaf, needles--and many different shades of green, brown, and red as well. Some are very sweet, I had some that left a strong aftertaste of licorice (wish I knew what it was called so I could find more of that!).

I don't care for the real bitter teas. I've had some that are sweet the first pour and progessively get more bitter with each subsequent pour. Some, like the green tea and the local sushi restaurant taste very earthy, and some have very little taste at all on the sip but then hit you with a surprisingly strong after-taste.

Bottom line? Find a tea-house (cha guan) in your area and just try stuff. Only you can tell what you do and don't like. Just as exploring China is a journey of discover for your soul and eyes, exploring tea is a journey of discovery for you tongue.

I'm amazed when I look in my teapot. I put just a few dry green tea in the pot. I didn't think it was enough, so I put a little more in. After I pour the hot water in and wait about 10 minutes or so, the leaves expand like crazy. The teapot looks like it has a rain forest in it. Is this normal? I mean you put in a little hard, dried out tea and it comes out looking like a green salad. As you can tell, I am not a "tea" person. I want to be, but I need instruction. :P

Heh, yeah, I have some that is tight little balls of hard tea. I only need to put 3-4 pieces for one mug and I'm always amazed at how much it expands. The "Sweet Tea" I mentioned earlier in this thread is light green and very much still "leafy". Then I have some that looks kinda like redish-brown pine needles that then open into a "leafy" appearance when brewed.

I know little about the whole product or industry but I've been to a couple of factories in China and seen some of the preparation and many varieties, big and small balls, rolled sticks, loose leaf, needles--and many different shades of green, brown, and red as well. Some are very sweet, I had some that left a strong aftertaste of licorice (wish I knew what it was called so I could find more of that!).

I don't care for the real bitter teas. I've had some that are sweet the first pour and progessively get more bitter with each subsequent pour. Some, like the green tea and the local sushi restaurant taste very earthy, and some have very little taste at all on the sip but then hit you with a surprisingly strong after-taste.

Bottom line? Find a tea-house (cha guan) in your area and just try stuff. Only you can tell what you do and don't like. Just as exploring China is a journey of discover for your soul and eyes, exploring tea is a journey of discovery for you tongue.

My wife also gave me some Ningxia wolfberries to put with my tea. Ever had any of these? She says they are very good for the eyes and male fertility :P

Ron, during my last visit to China, my wife's aunt gave me some of this tea you are describing. My wife said it was from the Fujian province. First she rinsed her clay teapot with hot water then put just a few tea leaves (balls) and filled the pot with hot water. Then she poured some of the tea in a cup and poured it over the teapot. The teapot was in a saucer. Don't know what this does but I am certain they have their reasons. This tea tasted very good but my wife said that they special process this tea to give it it's flavor. She also added that it was very expensive. The tea my wife's mother grows is from the Mt Lushan area, well noted for serving to the chinese emperors of long ago.

Fishing on a hot sunny day :P

:P Mountain Dew sends me over the edge.........Green tea is muchhhhhhhhhh more pleasant......No aftershocks.

It was definitely the sugar that sent me over the edge. Man made sweetners? No freakin way!!!!!!! My wife tells me that the green tea that I am drinking has just a little caffiene. I am sensitive to large amounts of caffiene so this tea works out well.

My wife also gave me some Ningxia wolfberries to put with my tea. Ever had any of these? She says they are very good for the eyes and male fertility :P

I've not heard of them but it doesn't mean I haven't had some. I've eaten/drank many things in China I couldn't identify...... :P