Green tea

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to a couple "tea tasting" shops in China. I must have tasted 15 or 20 varieties. I'll be honest with you, it was hard for me to tell one from the other. I guess, like wine, you have to acquire the taste. :ph34r:

It is my opinion that the more bitter it tastes then the better it is for you. You ought to try the night tea. Very bitter but very effective :)

What is the difference between green and black tea?

Both green tea and black tea come from the leaves of the plant Camellia sinensis ; however the processing that the leaves undergo to make the final tea is different. The leaves for black tea are fully oxidised while those for green teas are lightly steamed before being dried.

Yes the tea we purchase here is indeed processed but at least the green tea is only slightly so. As such it hangs on to more of its antioxidants and other lovely traits.

Did you know that tea is a member of the Camellia family? I wonder what a brew from my neighbor's camellia would taste like? Hmmmmm......

Wowwwww........ no I did not know that. I have camellias in my yard. Should I try some???????? :ph34r:

In survival training I was taught "if it walks talks creeps or crawls it's edible--plants? ya takes yer chances......

I know many plants make good teas--roses, chamomille, mint, nettles, fir needles, raspberrys, clover....

Well then, let's not overlook Amanita mascara. :)

That's cool man. My wife is also an expert on wild edible plants. She grew up this way. She told me she could find many things in my forest that are good to eat and she knows how to check for toxins. I will have to think about that one :ph34r:

I'm a practitioner of many things and an expert at none. :)

Ditto............

What is the difference between green and black tea?

Both green tea and black tea come from the leaves of the plant Camellia sinensis ; however the processing that the leaves undergo to make the final tea is different. The leaves for black tea are fully oxidised while those for green teas are lightly steamed before being dried.

Yes the tea we purchase here is indeed processed but at least the green tea is only slightly so. As such it hangs on to more of its antioxidants and other lovely traits.

Did you know that tea is a member of the Camellia family? I wonder what a brew from my neighbor's camellia would taste like? Hmmmmm......

Wowwwww........ no I did not know that. I have camellias in my yard. Should I try some???????? :ph34r:

In survival training I was taught "if it walks talks creeps or crawls it's edible--plants? ya takes yer chances......

I know many plants make good teas--roses, chamomille, mint, nettles, fir needles, raspberrys, clover....

Well then, let's not overlook Amanita mascara. B)

???????????????????????? :)

That's cool man. My wife is also an expert on wild edible plants. She grew up this way. She told me she could find many things in my forest that are good to eat and she knows how to check for toxins. I will have to think about that one :ph34r:

Ditto............

Green tea's flavor is a bit strange or different, at least. Not a bad taste, just a bit on the musty side. I drank quite a bit while in Nanning last year. The young girls would set up a green tea bar in the lobby of the Mingyuan hotel and I would set back in a comfortable chair while they continued to serve me... sigh...

Ok, you have convinced me to open up the carton of XueQing green tea that was given to me as a gift when leaving my Beijing friend last year. The beautifully boxed gift with two tubular cans of leaves is supposed to be excellent tea. Whether it is or not, I will start using. Just one question, how much or how many leaves do I put in how much water? Is it like coffee, as these leaves are very loose. Can I continue to reuse the leaves until I can no longer extract anything?

Oh and one final question that I've been meaning to ask, Chilton, what are you doing squating in the bushes in your avatar?

Edited by Dennis143 (see edit history)

Ditto............

Green tea's flavor is a bit strange or different, at least. Not a bad taste, just a bit on the musty side. I drank quite a bit while in Nanning last year. The young girls would set up a green tea bar in the lobby of the Mingyuan hotel and I would set back in a comfortable chair while they continued to serve me... sigh...

Ok, you have convinced me to open up the carton of XueQing green tea that was given to me as a gift when leaving my Beijing friend last year. The beautifully boxed gift with two tubular cans of leaves is supposed to be excellent tea. Whether it is or not, I will start using. Just one question, how much or how many leaves do I put in how much water? Is it like coffee, as these leaves are very loose. Can I continue to reuse the leaves until I can no longer extract anything?

Put approx 1/2" in the bottom of a cup. Pour just enough boiling hot water to cover, swirl and then pour it out (washing the tea then the leaves stay in the cup.) Then fill with boiling hot water (the leaves will stay at the bottom of the cup.) You can add water 3 times to each cup without disposing of the leaves. This method I described is only for natural and unprocessed tea leaves. It gets a lot more complicated for the "Chinese connoisseur" teas.

I'm a practitioner of many things and an expert at none. B)

Ditto............

Oh and one final question that I've been meaning to ask, Chilton, what are you doing squating in the bushes in your avatar?

Fishing on a hot sunny day :)

Well then, let's not overlook Amanita mascara. :ph34r:

Don't know anything about mushrooms. I've never consumed any not purchased at the grocery store or a restaurant.

I cheat. I use a tea ball. As for amount, take a good look at a regular tea bag and try to guestimate from there. And I too will make three cups before refreshing the leaves.

Don't know anything about mushrooms. I've never consumed any not purchased at the grocery store or a restaurant.

Where is this leading????????????? :ph34r:

Sorry, I can't help myself sometimes.

Anyway, you still didn't answer my last question. B)

Anyway, you still didn't answer my last question. B)

Trying to catch a damned fish in the middle of the day :D

Well then, let's not overlook Amanita mascara. :D

Anyway, you still didn't answer my last question. :D

Trying to catch a damned fish in the middle of the day :D

Ah, OK now I see the fishin' pole. :P