Status change or wait for GC in US after getting K

Hi, people,

Once in the US with a K3 visa, is it better to wait for the green card (CR1) being processed through Guangzhou or change status in the US for the green card?

My wife’s CR1 is being processed through Texas service center and it will probably take 1 more year from now on (submitted F-130 in May 2002). But, the status change inside US will also take about 2 years. In all likelihood, my wife should get her K3 around early August.

Are these numbers right and what do you think we should do?

Thanks a lot!!

But, I believe on Richard Sun's website, her wife got her K3 and then came back to China to get her greencard.  If this is true, you do have a choice then.

Is Richard around?

Yes, K-3/4 non-immigrants may elect to apply for an immigrant visa instead of adjustment of status and may wait in the United States until they must appear at the consulate for their visa interview.

Receiving the K-3 Visa does not cancel the I-130 process.

My wife arrived in the US in January 2003, and she received her I-130 2nd NOA last month. Last week, I received an NSC letter saying to submit money for processing the Affidavit of Support. I wrote back, saying that my wife is already processing her I-485 thru the SF BCIS office, and that she will not pursue direct Consular Filing in GZ bu instead apply for Adjustment of Status, so paying for the AOS is not necessary.

Thanks for sharing your experiences with me.

Oyester, so why did you choose not to go with the I-130 process? Sure it would be a hassle to go back to GZ to get it, but you get Green Card right there and the OAS would take 2 years. Does 2 years for OAS sound right?

So waiting out for the I-130 seems to be better choice if you are not tied up in the US and it shortens your US citizenship process considerably.

Comments guys!

Thanks a lot

Jerry