China imposes curbs on adoptions

Also can't adopt if you are depressed or single. I will be interested to see how this all pans out. There are quite a number of couples in this area who have adopted children from China, all girls. Already, there is an outcry in opposition to this new law. I doubt that anything can change it, but at least people can let their opinions be known.

Also can't adopt if you are depressed or single. I will be interested to see how this all pans out. There are quite a number of couples in this area who have adopted children from China, all girls. Already, there is an outcry in opposition to this new law. I doubt that anything can change it, but at least people can let their opinions be known.

I read the article Tornado posted--have not read the actual published regulations--but I see nothing wrong with it. The new regulations are not draconian in any sense. I'd support it.

I read the article Tornado posted--have not read the actual published regulations--but I see nothing wrong with it. The new regulations are not draconian in any sense. I'd support it.

There is no sense of an outcry a country can impose any law it desires .Many countries have a great deal worse laws dealing with adoption. That said This would not be any backlash from what we have seen dealing with Rosie O'Donnell . I guess she can quit brushing up on her Chinese as she would not be allowed to adopt any chinese children with this new regulation.I guess she did get married . Maybe I am behind the times.

There is no sense of an outcry a country can impose any law it desires .Many countries have a great deal worse laws dealing with adoption. That said This would not be any backlash from what we have seen dealing with Rosie O'Donnell . I guess she can quit brushing up on her Chinese as she would not be allowed to adopt any chinese children with this new regulation.I guess she did get married . Maybe I am behind the times.

Please don't misunderstand me. I am not saying I am launching an outcry. Just reporting on what is already going on in our local community. I guess I have been working for newspapers too long. Reporting is in my blood. :rolleyes:

I wouldn't be surprised, in fact, if my editor doesn't call me to do a story on all this. That should prove interesting to say the least.

My feelings on the issue are somewhat mixed and certainly clouded by the fact that I had the opportunity to visit more than a few orphanages when I lived in China. For the most part, the state-run facilities were a horror. They were filthy, disease-ridden and just about all of the children complained of being hungry. Living conditions in the private, church-run facilities were somewhat better. I guess, yes, a country can pass any law it wants. I know ours does. And China does have a law that legitimizes forced abortion, for example.

I guess, in the final analysis, I cannot be objective as I have seen firsthand some of the suffering these kids go through. What is more disturbing is a 2003 study, done by the Chinese government, clearly stated that for every one child that is adopted, 26 are not adopted. Like I said, I can't be objective here.

Still, I am not part of the outcry, but I do have concerns.

I've adopted children internationally before (from Russia). There's a lot of money chasing few infant. The demand for Chinese babies is quite high (we all know how beautiful Asians are :rolleyes: ) I think China is just trying to stem the flow due to a reduced supply of children. With the laws of supply and demand at work, low supply is making people spend in crazy and sometimes illegal ways to get an infant. You may argue about the criteria, but the intent probably is in the right direction to prevent bribes from going up

Can't adopt if you are fat or ugly. Bad.

wow that cuts out like 85 percent of americans

:CopBust: :CopBust:

good for China for finally puttin there fist down

do we know the percentage of the fat and pill popping folk of this country?

i bet its a staggering number

I don't think it was fat or ugly. I think it was a BMI over 40(obese).

It makes perfect sense to me. If someone 49 years old and very overweight adopts a small child was are the chances they will live to support this child till they are in college.

I would say less than a 49 year old healthy person.

I think it is a touchy subject for interracial/culure adoptions to begin with the chinese people.

Maybe a story needs to be written about Chinese kids that are adopted to Americans that are neglected and abused by them?

I'm not sure I would call it neglect and abuse to be adopted by a unhealthy person.

I'm sure americans do an excellent jobs with these kids and I'm sure it beats growing up in the orphanage.

I have heard of some americans adopting another chinese child after the first worked out so well. National Geographic has a video called 'the lost girls of china' about people coming to adopt chinese kids hosted by Lisa Ling. Very touching and makes you proud to be an american.

It is just important that they place these kids with the best possible parents if they can afford to be choosy. After what has happened to these kids I think they deserve the best

These unhealthy people can still go to Vietnam or cambodia if there are an excess of children or try for a special needs child.

I needed my parents help until I was 27 off and on before I became completely independent

I would have had a lot worse time to lose my parent at 22 or 23.

I imagine this is even more important for an adopted child.

It is horrible to abuse and neglect any child but to adopt a kid out of an orphanage and abuse them is the purest form of evil I can think of.

A couple of yeas ago there were stories in the Chinese paper which was picked up over here. Adoption had turned into a gang activity with babies being snatched off the street from there Mom's arms. They are then sold to a orphanage and eventually to a westerner.

We had a local news man who adopted two Chinese girls and was alway braying about the fact. I sent him some of this info and asked him to show the dark side. He stopped writing for this paper.

:blink: :D

It makes perfect sense to me. If someone 49 years old and very overweight adopts a small child was are the chances they will live to support this child till they are in college.

I think it is a touchy subject for interracial/culure adoptions to begin with the chinese people.

actually it does

The rules bar parents who take medication for psychiatric conditions, including depression and anxiety, or who have a "facial deformity."

:CopBust: :CopBust:

actually it does

The rules bar parents who take medication for psychiatric conditions, including depression and anxiety, or who have a "facial deformity."

I would not interpet "facial deformity" as excludeing your garden variety ugly folks.

An example might be Rosie Odonnell or Larry King, not very handsome but not deformed either. If that does in fact mean garden variety ugly folks, well that seems like a stupid rule. I wonder who does the judgeing ?

I remember being in a restaurant in Nanning. I saw about 5 American couples and all the women were carrying Chinese babies. Not one of the women were less than 250 lbs. At the time I thought it was odd. All of these women were obese. There are many implications, and I would like to know more about it. To put it bluntly, why are all these fat women adopting babies in China? B)

• 6 months later...

Here ya go Mick. I don't know if you ever investigated further, but here are the details. I just stumbled upon them today:

http://www.travel.state.gov/family/adoptio...ntry_3110.html#

New Regulations for Adopting from the People's Republic of China

The China Center for Adoption Affairs (CCAA) has issued the following new regulations for foreigners who wish to adopt children in China. These regulations become effective for all application received after May 1, 2007.

Adoption is limited to married couples, made up of a man and a woman, who fit the following criteria:

1. They must have been married at least two years. If either person has previously divorced, the couple must have been married at least five years. No more than two divorces are allowed.

2. Both partners must be between the ages of 30 and 50. Those couples who apply to adopt a special needs child must be between the ages of 30 and 55.

3. Both partners must be physically and mentally fit, with none of the following conditions:

a. AIDS;

b. Mental disability;

c. Infectious disease that is actively contagious;

d. Blind in either eye;

e. Hearing loss in both ears or loss of language function (those adopting children with hearing or language function loss are exempted from this requirement);

f. Non-function or dysfunction of limbs or trunk caused by impairment, incomplete limbs, paralysis or deformation;

g. Severe facial deformation;

h. Severe diseases that require long-term treatment and that may affect life expectancy, including malignant tumors, lupus, nephrosis, epilepsy, etc;

i. Major organ transplant within ten years;

j. Schizophrenia;

k. Severe mental disorders requiring medication for more than two years, including depression, mania, or anxiety neurosis;

l. Body Mass Index (BMI) of 40 or more

4. At least one member of the couple must have stable employment. The total value of family assets must be at least $80,000. The family¡¯s annual income equals at least $10,000 for each family member in the household (including the child to be adopted). Annual income excludes welfare, pensions, unemployment insurance, government subsidies and the like.

5. Both prospective parents must be high school graduates or have vocational training equivalent to a high school education.

6. The family must have fewer than five children under the age of 18, and the youngest is at least one year old (those adopting special needs children are exempted from this requirement).

7. Neither partner may have a significant criminal record, and both must have a history of honorable behavior and good moral character with no evidence of:

a. Domestic violence, sexual abuse, abandonment or abuse of children;

b. Use of narcotics or any potentially addictive medication prescribed for mental illness;

c. Alcohol abuse, unless the individual can show she/he has been sober for at least ten years.

Note: Applications from persons with past criminal records will be considered on a case-by-case basis if the individual has fewer than three minor criminal convictions (none in the last ten years) and fewer than five minor traffic violations.

8. The prospective parents must demonstrate the ability to provide a warm family environment capable of meeting the needs of an orphaned child and providing for her/his development, and an understanding of the special risks (including potential diseases, developmental delays, and post-placement maladjustment) that could come with inter-country adoption.

9. The couple must provide an adoption application letter that makes clear the applicants¡¯ willingness to allow post-placement follow-ups and provide post-placement reports as required.

Note: In each instance above where a specific age or time span is cited, it will be computed from the time that the CCAA officially logs the adoption application documents.