USC Passport At GUZ At Interview

I have been reading here that it appears the VO usually asks the interviewee to see the USC original passport. If so, what is it that they are looking for? Is it the visa and entry/exit stamps? If so, I might have a problem. I have made trips to China both for personal and business, each time having the opportunity to see my fiancee. For my pleasure/personal travel I used my personal passport with applicable visas and entry/exit stamps and there are only three stamps in there. The others are in my Official US Government Passport (the red one) which I must turn in after each trip. It has additional visa's and entry/exit stamps. I will not be able to get a hold of that one and hand it over to my fiancee for interview purposes as it has to be used for official purpose. You think just having my personal passport will suffice? Maybe I'm think down the wrong chute and they need the passport for other issues, if at all. Thanks ya'll.

As aye,

Jim

If the USC is at the interview many will have their SO carry the passport in to hand to the VO. In your case you might see if you can get a photocopy of the Red one along with the visas and entry stamps, and if it is possible get it notarized as a "True Copy". You could do the same with your Blue passport as well.

I would avoid writing a letter to the VO trying to explain that you have stamps in the Red passport if you don't have a True copy available for them to see at the interview because they could easily make that a requirement for overcome. :(

The only difficulty would be her saying you have made 10 trips and your passport only shows 3, and without any documentation the VO could demand some proof of the other trips. This is one case where the truth is a real PITA.

I'd imagine as resourceful as you are you can find a way to get a true copy of the Red passport or just have one made out of box tops. :roller:

If the USC is at the interview many will have their SO carry the passport in to hand to the VO. In your case you might see if you can get a photocopy of the Red one along with the visas and entry stamps, and if it is possible get it notarized as a "True Copy". You could do the same with your Blue passport as well.

I would avoid writing a letter to the VO trying to explain that you have stamps in the Red passport if you don't have a True copy available for them to see at the interview because they could easily make that a requirement for overcome. :(

The only difficulty would be her saying you have made 10 trips and your passport only shows 3, and without any documentation the VO could demand some proof of the other trips. This is one case where the truth is a real PITA.

I'd imagine as resourceful as you are you can find a way to get a true copy of the Red passport or just have one made out of box tops. :roller:

I agree with Lee

good luck and best wishes JIM!!!!

You darn Aggie, o well ur still a Texican

Bobby....

I have been reading here that it appears the VO usually asks the interviewee to see the USC original passport.

I highly doubt that. Unless the USC is actually going to GUZ with the SO for the interview, it is highly irregular for the Chinese SO to have her petitioner's actual US passport. In almost all instances, it would be a copy--notarized at most. It certainly is NOT advisable for you to send your actual passport to your SO in China for the interivew if you'll be staying in the US. I would 100% advise against doing that. Either be there in person and allow her to take your passport in with her during the interivew, or make a copy of your passport and send that to her. But in NO case should you mail your original US passport to her for the interview.

The main reason to see the passport (or a copy) is to check the number of times you've actually visited China and to confirm if it indeed matches up to what was filled out or what your SO states at the interview.

It would be a prudent idea to try and get a copy of your Red government issued passport. Then your SO can hand that in along with a copy of your personal passport.

Edited by SirLancelot (see edit history)

It is not common for a VO to ask for a USCs original passport.. in fact, they very rarely ever ask for it since it's presumptuous to ask for an original PP of someone not permitted to be present.

Having said that.. it's not unheard of for a VO to ask if the beneficiary has a copy of it (if you submitted one with the original petition, then a copy of it could be expected as proper documentation on hand).

What is common is for the beneficiary to attempt to give the USCs PP (copy if not present; original if in GUZ). It is very hit or miss whether the VO will take it; some do and some refuse it (since it was not asked for).

But as we know, VOs comes in all shapes and sizes.. and I recall two stories worth sharing:

1- A VO asked for the USC PP and when told she didn't have it was asks, "why isn't he here?". :roller: [double presumption] ;

2- A grumpy VO asked in condescending tone for the USCs PP and the beneificary handed it over.. seemed to have startled the VO who suddenly became pleasant. [called his bluff]

While it is hit or miss on whether they will ask for the passport there is one little catch, IF the VO asks how many times the USC has been to China, which is very common, once the question has been answered the VO can follow that path and ask for some proof of the number of trips.

It's an old legal tactic to get around not being able to ask for specific evidence until you have made a statement that opens the door for them to ask for evidence of what you just told them.

As David said, at one time the VO's would ask for a copy of the passport and deny if the applicant didn't have one. I even recall when a VO asked for a Notarized copy and gave a blue slip because the applicant handed over the Passport and they wanted a notarized copy. :(

Having notarized "True Copy" of passports can't hurt, many times the notary at your bank will do it for free including copying the passport for you.

I think the catch in Jim's case would be if they didn't let him take the passport long enough to get a notarized copy.

Hopefully, that's not the case, but, if it is, I would say as a very minimum give her a statement showing the "Official US Government passport" ID #, and a list of trips made with dates.

I made copies of my passport then made a cover sheet which was notorized and each page was also stamped by the notery and I sent that to my wife, because I will not be able to be there when her interview comes. So I am hoping this will be enough because like others said I am not going to mail my passport.

Rick

Geez, thanks for the great information ya'll. I'm sure I can get my hands on the red passport for short time and make color copies of the data page, visa's and entry/exit stamps. And I certainly can do that for my blue passport and have all the pages notarized. I thought they needed to see the original passport. From reading the interview forums, I thought they asked to see the USC's passport. Now ya'll have explained it to me. I think I'll make copies of my travel authorizations to add to the saddle bag of stuff.

I'm not sure if I'll be there or not. February has me working at the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo and March and April has me teaching training classes to the seasonal park rangers in various parks around the country. So, at this point, I don't know, but I do plan on meeting up with her in China and flying back to the West Coast with her. Then Amtraking it from there to Texas. She'll have a chance to see the great Southwest. :wub: :happydance:

Thank ya'll!

As aye,

Jim :draw:

PS. Do I need to have notarized copies from the pages of my Texas passport?

Geez, thanks for the great information ya'll. I'm sure I can get my hands on the red passport for short time and make color copies of the data page, visa's and entry/exit stamps. And I certainly can do that for my blue passport and have all the pages notarized. I thought they needed to see the original passport. From reading the interview forums, I thought they asked to see the USC's passport. Now ya'll have explained it to me. I think I'll make copies of my travel authorizations to add to the saddle bag of stuff.

I'm not sure if I'll be there or not. February has me working at the San Antonio Stock Show and Rodeo and March and April has me teaching training classes to the seasonal park rangers in various parks around the country. So, at this point, I don't know, but I do plan on meeting up with her in China and flying back to the West Coast with her. Then Amtraking it from there to Texas. She'll have a chance to see the great Southwest. :wub: :happydance:

Thank ya'll!

As aye,

Jim :draw:

PS. Do I need to have notarized copies from the pages of my Texas passport?

here is something to read http://candleforlove.com/forums/index.php?act...;f=1&t=9854