GC received...

My husband arrived at JFK on 10/5. We expected to receive the GC in three weeks, but he got two welcome letter on 11/18, and the address is wrong (state and zipcode are incorrect). As I posted before, I called the USCIS, but they couldn't solve the problem and just asked me to wait one more month to see what's gonna happen. On 11/25, the GC finally showed up in our mailbox, and the address is still incorrect.

It's the incorrect address taking us so long to receive the GC.

My question is: Should we write to USCIS to correct the address?

We checked the box for a SSN card on the immigration application form, but it's been two months since POE, he still hasn't received it. Today we went to the SSN office, the lady said he's not in the system, and she put him into the system, so he would receive it in two weeks.

Without the SSN card, the DMV doesn't allow him to take a written test for a driver license.

We went to west coast for November the whole month. We wanted to go to Vancouver, so I called the Canada visa center to find out if he had to apply for a Canada tourist visa. The lady on the phone told me he has to although he has the temporary I-551 on his passport. So we went to the visa center and wait on a long line to get him a Canada visa. After such a long wait, the lady at the visa center told us that he doesn't need a visa, he could enter Canada with the visa on his passport cuz it serves as a temporary I-551(temporary GC). What the heck! Wasted our time.

Could anyone please answer my question:

Should we write to USCIS to correct the address?

bearbear, we have just been going through this.

Here is what you have to do: complete an I-90 form (can get from the USCIS site), return the green card with evidence substantiating the correct address as well as documentation showing identity, and just wait on a new one. I just mailed Jie's yesterday, they had the incorrect country (she is from China but they put Taiwan).

Also, on the letter that the green card was attached to, there is a phone # to USCIS that you can call, and they will give you the correct address you need to mail the I-90 to.

Its a pain in the a$$, but its the only way. Nevertheless, he is still legal in the US, so there is no worry about him being without the green card.

Edited by ameriken (see edit history)

My husband arrived at JFK on 10/5. We expected to receive the GC in three weeks, but he got two welcome letter on 11/18, and the address is wrong (state and zipcode are incorrect). As I posted before, I called the USCIS, but they couldn't solve the problem and just asked me to wait one more month to see what's gonna happen. On 11/25, the GC finally showed up in our mailbox, and the address is still incorrect.

It's the incorrect address taking us so long to receive the GC.

My question is: Should we write to USCIS to correct the address?

Since he has his green card you and assuming everything is correct you should submit the AR-11 change of address form to get the correct address in the system. It doesn't matter why the address is not correct.

Don't try to fight to get them to correct the record as it's not an easy battle, just get them the correct information.

Could anyone please answer my question:

Should we write to USCIS to correct the address?

bearbear, we have just been going through this.

Here is what you have to do: complete an I-90 form (can get from the USCIS site), return the green card with evidence substantiating the correct address as well as documentation showing identity, and just wait on a new one. I just mailed Jie's yesterday, they had the incorrect country (she is from China but they put Taiwan).

Also, on the letter that the green card was attached to, there is a phone # to USCIS that you can call, and they will give you the correct address you need to mail the I-90 to.

Its a pain in the a$$, but its the only way. Nevertheless, he is still legal in the US, so there is no worry about him being without the green card.

i have the same issue as your wife. it's been over 3 months since i mailed it back. i am still waiting, waiting and waiting...

oh my GOD~~~~it's gonna take them forever to correct their mistake. :eyebrow:

What information is on the GC other than those shown on the front of GC? I mean if there is any hidden info like address.

Thanks.

They do not include address information on the back side, they do include all the information from the front in a hologram image.

Since people in the US seem to frequently move it would make life more difficult if it contained and address and the card would need to be replaced every time someone moved. Guess we shouldn't talk about it too much or the USCIS might think that would be a good idea too. :rolleyes: