Leaving USA right after Entry

What is so hard about someone expressing concern that someone might have a problem with a K-1 visa holder getting stuck in a bad situation and suggesting people check it out to be 100% sure they are not stuck outside of the US?

Nothing wrong with this at all. In fact, that is what I'm trying to assertain. I'm trying to confirm exactly what happens when someone returns to the Continental US from a US territory. If the flights are considered domestic and none one--both USC and foreign nationals--has to go through immigrations, then it's just like any domestic flight within the Continental USA and a K-1 visa holder should be fine. If that is NOT the case, then a K-1 holder will have some worrying to do. But so far, it sounds like these flights are considered to be domestic flights and there's no immigrations involved for flights between the Continental US and US territories, so a K-1 visa holder shouldn't have any problems.

I'm trying to get details from people who have indeed been to these US territories recently. Please post you experiences.

"Citizens of countries other than the U.S. should follow U.S. travel regulations" listed for travel to the US from the US VI and Puerto Rico pretty much say that any non-US Citizen will be processed by immigration, so this is not a domestic flight, it's just that USC's are not processed if they can prove their citizenship.

Yes, the question is how do they apply this processing to a K-1 visa who has entered the US once? It would be nice if the USCIS had some information on this easily available on-line.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Citizens of countries other than the U.S. should follow U.S. travel regulations" listed for travel to the US from the US VI and Puerto Rico pretty much say that any non-US Citizen will be processed by immigration, so this is not a domestic flight, it's just that USC's are not processed if they can prove their citizenship.

Yes, the question is how do they apply this processing to a K-1 visa who has entered the US once? It would be nice if the USCIS had some information on this easily available on-line.

I saw that on US VI website so travel to and from there for K-1 holder sounds risky, without AP

More info can be found here: http://www.viport.com/faq.html

Edited by dnoblett (see edit history)

I saw that on US VI website so travel to and from there for K-1 holder sounds risky, without AP

More info can be found here: http://www.viport.com/faq.html

The Florida Keys are quite nice this time of year. :D

Play it safe and honeymoon in North Dakota. I hear they have great rates and no crowds this time of the year. How many people could say they had their honeymoon in Minot, North Dakota?

As aye,

Jim

Why does Minot, ND sound so familiar? Could it be that it's been reported as the cheapest place to buy a home in the US? :huh:

Can't imagine a more beautiful place to go for a honeymoon. :D

• 2 years later...

New Travel Requirements Q&A

Will travelers from U.S. territories need to present a passport to enter the United States?

A: No. These territories are a part of the United States. U.S. citizens returning directly from a U.S. territory are not considered to have left the U.S. territory and do not need to present a passport. U.S. territories include the following: Guam, Puerto Rico, the U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swains Island and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands

Jim, thanks for finding that.

Now, if a USC is returning from these US territories and are NOT required to present a passport upon their return to the Continental US, then this leads me to believe that the setup is exactly the same as any domestic airport and these flights are considered domestic and not international. If a USC is not required to present a passport then that must mean they do not check for passports at all. Otherwise how would they know who is a USC and who is not, as the USC is not required to have his or her passport for these trips. This leads me to believe that they won't be asking any other nationals to present their passports as well--how can they prove these other nationals are not USCs? This leads me to believe that a new Chinese immigrant or, non-immigrant in the case of a K-1 visa, should be able to visit any of these US territories without any additional visas. These territories, for the purpose of traveling, would be exactly like any other US states. Why couldn't a new Chinese immigrant simply claim to be a USC, thus not needing to show his or her passport, if confronted?

Anyone have any first hand info regarding traveling to any of these territories? Did you witness any checking of passports upon disembarking the plane and entering the airport?

I travel to Puerto Rico and back a lot and all you have to show is some form of U.S. I/D with just the normal airport security check is all

Edited by lche195 (see edit history)

[

For people who have travelled to any of the the US territories, do we need to clear Immigrations when arriving at these territories?

Took boat from California to Mexico, Panama Canal..etc..etc to USVI. Customs and Immigration in USVI is just like entering a "Foreign Country". Same at Airport coming and going back to US. No issue on Visa's for US PAssport holders - big issue for other PP holders. Please all...research current USVI directives.

FYI - There are other places in Carib...that will let a PRC citizen have 7 days there..almost automatic...I think Dominican Republic is one of them! FYI