Computer types Chinese in English mode

When I am in English certain characters show up as Chinese characters.

Can't remember exact ones as I am using my laptop right now.

Only shows up on my main computer.

It is one or two characters, such as 's.

Very annoying.

Sometimes prints out this way also, depending upon program used.

Most prevelant in Word.

Have all latest updates, but still there.

If you're using an English version of windows XP like I am with Chinese set as the default language for non-unicode programs, and Chinese input enabled... which is the best way to get Chinese file names, etc to be recognised barring switching to Chinese windows... then unfortunately, that is going to happen. If there is a way around it, I haven't hit on it yet. I don't seem to have that problem with word (what version do you have?) But notepad and wordpad (.txt) documents, and .pdf documents which were created from .txt files, and some websites do the same thing to me. I haven't found a way to get both yet. If you change the default language for non-unicode programs back to English in your advanced language settings, that should fix it, but then most programs won't recognize Chinese filenames, and Chinese programs will often display as a bunch of gobbelty-gook. So you kind of have to accept whichever scenario is less inconvenient for you. If it's word you have the problem with, try either converting the file from a .txt to a .doc file (if that is the problem), or try experimenting with different fonts. May or may not have some results.

If anyone has any other suggestions, please post.

i dont see any reason on having Chinese the default unless of course SO is using it...

make her switch it back when she types ;)

if you go into "regional and language options" under "control panel"

select the "language" tab at the top of that window

select "details"

at the top of the screen change the "default input language" back to english

left shift + alt is most likely the hot key to toggle back and forth from Chinese to English

i dont see any reason on having Chinese the default unless of course SO is using it...

As jason said.. for non-unicode programs... like chinese programs on your computer. Some of them will not install correctly, you can get jumbled characters setup as the directory name or worse in the registry when installing.

and vice versa...

if you have your machine set with chinese as default and try to install certain programs half of it will come up in chinese.

then you'll be calling your honey everytime you wanna use it :rolleyes:

honey what does this say

i installed the full version of NERO and that happened.

half in chinese half in english

and vice versa...

if you have your machine set with chinese as default and try to install certain programs half of it will come up in chinese.

then you'll be calling your honey everytime you wanna use it :rolleyes:

honey what does this say

Hahaha.. that's pretty funny. Maybe it's time to learn Chinese? :D

As an added bonus, you'll then be able to read her secret emails. :lol:

I have this happen too but just deal with it. I tried to do what Bill posted and it made it worse and my wife's ABC charactor code messed up and I had to re-load that, with her standing over me with that mop!

My IE browser does the same, shows like S's and 't (like don't and couldn't) in some Chinese charactor

I don't have Word set on Unicode so no problem there.

Yeah... my computer will never be the same after November 7th, 2005 B)

Yep. Because some programs with multiple language support (like Nero) check the default non-unicode language and assume that's your language. Nero was an easy fix, your language can be changed in a drop down menu. Thing is, without Chinese set as the default for non-unicode, files named in Chinese won't load (in MOST programs), and chinese programs will not function properly. While with Chinese as the default, English filenames have no problem, and english programs run fine (with the few noted issues). So unless you want to go into your language properties, and switch back and forth rebooting your computer each time, if you both use the PC frequently it is far easier to just set it to "Chinese" and leave it alone.

Please note, this is not the same thing as "default input language" - that is a simple little switch on your language bar (right now I can switch by hitting <alt> <shift>) and only affects input, nothing whatsoever to do with how your programs themselves function. "Default language for non-unicode programs" cannot be toggled - it is a major setting and required a reboot whenever it is changed.

It all comes down to how often your SO uses the computer, how many Chinese programs she feels like she needs, and how many files with Chinese filenames she has - and whether the minor inconveniences caused on the English side by using Chinese as default for non-unicode are worth it to avoid the HUGE problems with Chinese by not.

For example, Jun used: QQ, a realtime translation software/dictionary, music editors, and several other programs... none of which would install or run until Chinese was set as default for non-unicode. She also had thousands of mp3's, jpg files, pdfs, word documents, etc etc... renaming all of them so they could be opened would have been a real pain.

Other suggestions:

1. Tell your wife she is an American now, just like your computer, and doesn't need to have any gobbelty-gook Chinese programs installed on your computer. Then after you're settled in your hospital room, browse the yellow pages for a good divorce attorney. Seriously though - if your wife doesn't use any chinese programs, and can name all her saved documents in English characters - you can avoid this all together (unless her friend, mom, etc, sends her a picture with a Chinese name, which will probably display as "boxboxbox.jpg" and will need to be renamed before opening).

2. Install Chinese windows as well as English and set up a dual-booting system. (If you have or can afford this option, it will be the cleanest for both of you)

3. Let your wife have her own computer and while she can use Chinese input if she uses yours, tell her not to install any Chinese programs on it. You can use English input on hers, but resist the urge to try to install NERO burning rom on it without assistance.

4. Use Chinese as default language for non-unicode programs - but switch back to English before a major software install (I consider this a pain in the butt and don't recommend it).

5. Go to Bill Gates' home, tell him you hold him presonally responsable, and shoot him in the head. Chop him into little pieces, and use them as bait to fish in his indoor trout stream. Have some trout, and think about what you've done. mmm trout...

Yep. Because some programs with multiple language support (like Nero) check the default non-unicode language and assume that's your language. Nero was an easy fix, your language can be changed in a drop down menu.

negative....

actually it kept going back even after i changed the default language under regions.

half in chinese / half in english

Edited by izus (see edit history)

Yep. Because some programs with multiple language support (like Nero) check the default non-unicode language and assume that's your language. Nero was an easy fix, your language can be changed in a drop down menu.

negative....

actually it kept going back even after i changed the default language under regions.

Whacky. That's the windows "XP"erience for ya. Two people, same program, same OS, same procedure - different results. lol (And I assume you mean you changed the language setting within Nero, as changing your windows language setting would do nothing at that point. I wasn't too clear on that in my post)

negative....

Whacky. That's the windows "XP"erience for ya. Two people, same program, same OS, same procedure - different results. lol (And I assume you mean you changed the language setting within Nero, as changing your windows language setting would do nothing at that point. I wasn't too clear on that in my post)

yeah im not worried about it, i uninstalled entire eastern language packs completely then uninstalled and reinstalled nero....

then re-installed the language packs

we are running trilingual on our systems here because she uses Japanese as well