Buying a house in China - Yunnan

Beautiful roof tops, Roger.

BTW - you need to wash your windows.

Hey Don I'll put you up for a night if you don't mind crawling out there and washing the windows... :o :)

Just remember that rooftops grow . . . :o ;) :)

Not to worry Randy...All the taller stuff is being built to the East of our building...Everything in front is individual private houses of 2 to 6 stories...As you know when you go over 7 stories in China you must have an elevator...We are on the 13th floor... ;)

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Don I'll put you up for a night if you don't mind crawling out there and washing the windows... :o :)

Not to worry Randy...All the taller stuff is being built to the East of our building...Everything in front is individual private houses of 2 to 6 stories...As you know when you go over 7 stories in China you must have an elevator...We are on the 13th floor... ;)

Nice windows! Now about some furniture. ;)

Nice windows! Now about some furniture. ;)

Ah a long time before that... ;) Gotta' knock down some walls here and there...do the flooring and ceilings and bathrooms and kitchen and then...finally, funiture...

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Don I'll put you up for a night if you don't mind crawling out there and washing the windows... :o :rolleyes:

Just remember that rooftops grow . . . :o ;) :ph34r:

Not to worry Randy...All the taller stuff is being built to the East of our building...Everything in front is individual private houses of 2 to 6 stories...As you know when you go over 7 stories in China you must have an elevator...We are on the 13th floor... :)

Uhhh Ohhhh - we don't have floor 13 here in the states - :o

I to am thinking of buying a house in China too. I am 57 and retired 7 years ago, started another business and I am planning to quit that at 62.

Here goes the old problem again as has been brought up before.

Health care: My wife just read on SOHU a government owned news agency that someone brewed some tea and sent 10 samples to the top 10 hospitals in China and guess what. 9 out of the 10 was disgnosed with an infection that would require treatment with anti-biotics at an average cost of 1500 yuan. Not much money for us but a hell of a lot for farmers. The joke was that they guessed that people would have to start putting anit-biotics in their brewed tea!!!!!

That just is not good medicine. I do have medical issues, as some of us older folks do, so this is a major issue with me. You can't just say that I will jump on the next flight out. If you have a heart attack or kidney stone blockage there is just no waiting for the next flight out.

I don't have any issues with the money as I really suspect that most of you do not really have any issues with that either if you really tell the truth but the medical part is what scares me.

Just my thoughts.

Edited by amberjack1234 (see edit history)

Hey Don I'll put you up for a night if you don't mind crawling out there and washing the windows... :roller: :blahblah1:

Just remember that rooftops grow . . . :roller: :huh: :whistling:

Not to worry Randy...All the taller stuff is being built to the East of our building...Everything in front is individual private houses of 2 to 6 stories...As you know when you go over 7 stories in China you must have an elevator...We are on the 13th floor... :angry:

Uhhh Ohhhh - we don't have floor 13 here in the states - :roller:

And in China there is sometimes no 4th floor... :bangin: But we have good things happen with 13 so don't worry about it... :blink:

I to am thinking of buying a house in China too. I am 57 and retired 7 years ago, started another business and I am planning to quit that at 62.

Here goes the old problem again as has been brought up before.

Health care: My wife just read on SOHU a government owned news agency that someone brewed some tea and sent 10 samples to the top 10 hospitals in China and guess what. 9 out of the 10 was disgnosed with an infection that would require treatment with anti-biotics at an average cost of 1500 yuan. Not much money for us but a hell of a lot for farmers. The joke was that they guessed that people would have to start putting anit-biotics in their brewed tea!!!!!

That just is not good medicine. I do have medical issues, as some of us older folks do, so this is a major issue with me. You can't just say that I will jump on the next flight out. If you have a heart attack or kidney stone blockage there is just no waiting for the next flight out.

I don't have any issues with the money as I really suspect that most of you do not really have any issues with that either if you really tell the truth but the medical part is what scares me.

Just my thoughts.

Is medical care in the US better than in China??? :blahblah1:

Yes...If you can afford it... :whistling:

Is medicine in the US better? I would have to say overall yes and my wife feels the same way. I personally feel that in the US doctors do to much sometimes. I can tell you that after loosing my wife of 25 years to cancer that they treated her for to the tune of $325,000 and 18 months of treatment the end was the same. I ask her at the end if she would do it again and she told me 2 weeks before she died that she would not do it again that she would like to have had it end in the first 30 days that they initially gave her. Have I survived financially? Yes, I have and I am doing quite well now with the help of my wonderful Chinese wife. Another story all in it's own and perhaps some day I can share it with everyone here. The whole story that is from beginning to end.

So;

1. Is American medicine better? Yes, I still think so.

2. Do American doctors try to be to heroic? Yes, I think that they do and with little thought of the cost even when the outcome is going to be the same no matter what. Just buying a little more time with more pain and suffering. I have now learned from this experience that you have to make some tough choices in this life. I do believe that after going through this ordeal with my wife that I, like her, would choose the 30 days.

3. Of course this is the worst case but there are other terrible things that can happen. I had a kidney stone in each of my ureters at the same time, completely blocking both sides. I can tell you that was no fun and nothing that your could wait until the next flight out with. I just am not sure of what kind of treatment for this type of situation that you would recieve in China. By the way my mother in law is a surgeon. She told me that I had better be glad that I had that attack in America.

4. Can I afford the cost of medical care here. I have survived so far and there are always ways to get things done here. In China if you don't pay first you don't get treated just that simple. No one is going to help you except your immediate family in China. I consider my health and health care the most important thing in this world to me and my wife. Without good health or good health care you have nothing.

5. Have I been in a Chinese hospital? Yes, I have twice. Once I was in the same room with the American Chinese Ambassador in Beijiing. Did I get good medical attention? You bet I did. I was ask if they could treat the Ambassador first because I was next and I told them to take care of him first but they were going to make him wait his turn. Would I get the same treatment again somewhere else. Of that I am not sure this is what bother me the most. My mother in law constantly warns me about this issue. She is very happy that her daughter is in America. No, she does not have any desire to come to America.

I personally feel that in the US doctors do to much sometimes

with little thought of the cost even when the outcome is going to be the same no matter what.

this is the worst case but there are other terrible things that can happen.

I consider my health and health care the most important thing in this world to me and my wife. Without good health or good health care you have nothing.

US doctors do too much sometimes and the reason is that they profit financially from it...My parents at 87 and 82 are prime examples of why Medicare is going broke and will NEVER be there in it's present form for those of retiring later. Their lives consist of going to doctor appointments, seemingly unnecessary tests that lead nowhere...all because the doctor says so... :huh: My father just had bypass surgery. I want him to live as long as possible but we all know that in China 87 year olds do NOT have bypass surgery because it is a waste of resources.

I NEVER want to live my life based on what MIGHT happen. If I believed that preparing myself for the WORST CASE scenario was the most important thing I could do then I would live in an underground shelter... :ph34r:

Good health often has nothing to do with good health care. It often means making good choices. I would never give up the freedom to live as I wish because I worried about what might happen some day. Some day I know I will die... :rolleyes:

Edited by rogerluli (see edit history)

I personally feel that in the US doctors do to much sometimes

with little thought of the cost even when the outcome is going to be the same no matter what.

this is the worst case but there are other terrible things that can happen.

I consider my health and health care the most important thing in this world to me and my wife. Without good health or good health care you have nothing.

US doctors do too much sometimes and the reason is that they profit financially from it...My parents at 87 and 82 are prime examples of why Medicare is going broke and will NEVER be there in it's present form for those of retiring later. Their lives consist of going to doctor appointments, seemingly unnecessary tests that lead nowhere...all because the doctor says so... :huh: My father just had bypass surgery. I want him to live as long as possible but we all know that in China 87 year olds do NOT have bypass surgery because it is a waste of resources.

I NEVER want to live my life based on what MIGHT happen. If I believed that preparing myself for the WORST CASE scenario was the most important thing I could do then I would live in an underground shelter... :ph34r:

Good health often has nothing to do with good health care. It often means making good choices. I would never give up the freedom to live as I wish because I worried about what might happen some day. Some day I know I will die... :rolleyes:

Not necessarily Roger. If you live in America at the time you reach 87 they will probably have equipment that will keep your body alive almost indefinitely. We seem to do it here simply because it can be done. A person must not be looked at as crazy simply because they do not choose the available new methods of prolonging because insurance pays for it. Insurance is so expensive because it must cover any possibilities. I am sure mine would be much cheaper if I could exclude a list of medical options rather than having a high deductible. A declaration not to resuscitate is a move in that direction.

"Advance Directives and Do Not Resuscitate Orders

What is an advance directive?

An advance directive tells your doctor what kind of care you would like to have if you become unable to make medical decisions (if you are in a coma, for example). If you are admitted to the hospital, the hospital staff will probably talk to you about advance directives.

A good advance directive describes the kind of treatment you would want depending on how sick you are. For example, the directives would describe what kind of care you want if you have an illness that you are unlikely to recover from, or if you are permanently unconscious. Advance directives usually tell your doctor that you don't want certain kinds of treatment. However, they can also say that you want a certain treatment no matter how ill you are.

Advance Directives and Do Not Resuscitate Orders

What is an advance directive?

An advance directive tells your doctor what kind of care you would like to have if you become unable to make medical decisions (if you are in a coma, for example). If you are admitted to the hospital, the hospital staff will probably talk to you about advance directives.

A good advance directive describes the kind of treatment you would want depending on how sick you are. For example, the directives would describe what kind of care you want if you have an illness that you are unlikely to recover from, or if you are permanently unconscious. Advance directives usually tell your doctor that you don't want certain kinds of treatment. However, they can also say that you want a certain treatment no matter how ill you are.

Advance directives can take many forms. Laws about advance directives are different in each state. You should be aware of the laws in your state.

What is a living will?

A living will is one type of advance directive. It is a written, legal document that describes the kind of medical treatments or life-sustaining treatments you would want if you were seriously or terminally ill. A living will doesn't let you select someone to make decisions for you.

What is a durable power of attorney for health care?

A durable power of attorney (DPA) for health care is another kind of advance directive. A DPA states whom you have chosen to make health care decisions for you. It becomes active any time you are unconscious or unable to make medical decisions. A DPA is generally more useful than a living will. But a DPA may not be a good choice if you don't have another person you trust to make these decisions for you.

Living wills and DPAs are legal in most states. Even if they aren't officially recognized by the law in your state, they can still guide your loved ones and doctor if you are unable to make decisions about your medical care. Ask your doctor, lawyer or state representative about the law in your state.

What is a do not resuscitate order?

A do not resuscitate (DNR) order is another kind of advance directive. A DNR is a request not to have cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR) if your heart stops or if you stop breathing. (Unless given other instructions, hospital staff will try to help all patients whose heart has stopped or who have stopped breathing.) You can use an advance directive form or tell your doctor that you don't want to be resuscitated. In this case, a DNR order is put in your medical chart by your doctor. DNR orders are accepted by doctors and hospitals in all states."

Life at all cost benefits whom?

Edited by Dan R (see edit history)
  • 2 weeks later...

Future Yunnan CFL residents...(hey that's us) will be able to travel by rail throughout SE Asia by 2010. Actually the entire scale of rail building in China is mind-boggling compared to the broken down remnants of our US rail system.

Around Yunnan

Yunnan beginning major rail expansion

8 January 2007 - Chris - Link - Comments (0)

China is planning to invest more than 50 billion yuan (US$6.3 billion) in new railways that will increase connectivity between Kunming and cities in southern Yunnan by 2010, according to a Xinhua news report.

Aside from boosting tourism and trade between Kunming and southern Yunnan cities including Ruili and Mengzi, the new rail lines will also form the northernmost portion of the planned 5,500-km Trans-Asia Railway, which will link Kunming and Singapore via three rail lines passing through Myanmar, Laos, Vietnam, Thailand, Cambodia and Malaysia.

Construction of the line that will eventually connect Kunming to Vietnamese capital Hanoi has already begun between Yuxi and Mengzi. The Asian Development Bank has recently approved a US$60 million loan to Vietnam to renovate the 285 km of railway connecting northern Hanoi to the Yunnan border at Hekou.

Preparations have begun for work on the other two lines, which will connect Yunnan to Myanmar and Laos via border towns Ruili and Mohan, respectively. The 366-km section from Dali to Ruili will cost around US$1.2 billion and is expected to be completed by 2010.

The railway will facilitate trade within the China-Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) Free Trade Area, the first phase of which will be launched in 2010. By 2015, all members of ASEAN - which in addition to the Trans-Asia Railway countries also includes Indonesia, Brunei and the Philippines - will have entered the 1.8 billion-person free trade area.